Looking for fake stained glass

I want to cut an opening in my kitchen cabs and put fake stained glass in/behind the openings ..

anybody know where I can get the cheap plexiglass fake stained glass sheets ?

thanks mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

If you have your own design in mind, you could get your own glass or plexiglas and stained glass paint, fake leading, etc, from a craft store. If you just want to buy something pre-made, I believe you can also find that in a craft store, or they would know where to look to find it.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

Several ways to do it.

You can use regular acrylic sheet or glass and use a window cling/film. Check eBay - there are lots of them there. For example:

people use the phrases stained glass and leaded glass interchangeably, but they're different. If you're looking for the leaded lights look you can use Decra Led (sp?) which is a self-stick lead strip that can be easily cut and applied to provide a divided light look.

These people

have studios scattered about - not sure if they sell the materials to DIYers.

RicodJour

Mike:

I'm a pastor at a church. We had some windows that we put a film on to duplicate a stained glass effect. We used the following website to order the film

customer service was very good and so were the prices. The job was pretty easy and the windows turned out very nice. If you'd like, I can email you some pictures.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

SWMBO found some fake SG plastic in rolls at the Orange BORG that we put in the top of her plant windows. Looks pretty good from 5 feet both inside and out. I don't remember the name of the stuff, but it comes in different patterns, color designs, etc. I think it was about $20 for a 6 or

8 foot section, about 30" wide. It's been a couple years since we put it up, sorry for not remembering the details. It just sticks straight to the glass and is removable, probably with some effort.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

.. snip

top of her plant

the name of the

about $20 for a 6 or

sorry for not

removable, probably with some

Does this include something that looks like the leading as well?

Mark & Juanita

geeezzz ... a lot of good info ..

I think I like the idea of painting it and then putting down fake lead ..

thanks so much

mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

M wife and I are in the process of renovating an old house. Over the past few months we have had dozens of the neighbours drop by and request one of the old stain glass windows when we decide to replace them with new windows. I've told them that I'm more than happy to give them the windows, their fake. How it was done - this is not coloured

on the inside of the window the design was laid down with a bead of gray caulking (Lead) and then the inside of each panel was distorted using clear caulking, put down a "glob" and then run it all over that section with your finger. USE YOUR FINGER not a cloth etc. GLASS DONE

Reply to
HotRod

the top of her plant

the name of the

about $20 for a 6 or

sorry for not

removable, probably with some

The film has heavier dark lines in it that simulate the leading between the individual fake glass pieces. I took a class in SG a year ago. Not the way my stick floats, but I do have a much better appreciation for good work in that field. SWMBO is interested in learning, so looks like I'll continue to dabble in it too.

You might take your request for info over to rec.crafts.glass. Don your asbestos undies before posting there for fake stained glass.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

I knew a lady a while back that made plexiglass-like stained glass, but it was a bit different than the other replies. She got lead strips and shaped them into the pattern she wanted, and soldered it together, then put colored plastic beads in the openings. The whole deal went on a cookie sheet and into the oven, where the plastic melted and became "glass". I think there was a way to get swirls in the pattern by using a toothpick to mix colors while the goop was still hot, but I only saw her doing it once, and it was only in passing.

At any rate, I'd be willing to bet you can find a kit to do it at a craft store. Can't cost too much, and the end result looked pretty good- without all the glass cutting and inevitable cut fingertips that are bound to go with that.

Reply to
Prometheus