newspaper for mulch

I've seen suggestions for using newspaper for mulch and weed control. No doubt this works, but I've always been concerned about toxins and heavy metal build up.

Should I worry about this or is ink and newsprint safe these days?

Reply to
ljp other

So far as I know, newspapers are all using soy-based ink, so no concern about heavy metals, etc. You could certainly ask your local printers to be sure. I use it quite a bit, covered with mulch hay/grass clippings/whatever, then just till it in at season's end.

Gary Woods

I'd trash the color stuff.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I have a similar question regarding used Xerox copy paper. I have that in abundance, and have been using it several layers thick as a kill mulch, but I am concerned that the paper might not be good for the soil. Does anyone know about copy paper?

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

snipped-for-privacy@r37g2000prr.googlegroups.com...

As far as I know, there is nothing particularly special about copy paper these days. (I remember when "plain paper copier" was the new and wonderful thing about copiers, so that may not have always been so.)

The black toner pigment is carbon and iron oxides. The carrier consists of a resin with waxes and agents that respond to electrostatic charge.

I haven't any qualms about composting my shredded copy paper. Changing the toner cartridge and cleaning the laser printer expose me to far more toner than might come back to me from the entire gardening process.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

A logical conclusion. :-)

Reply to