OT: Just a thought.

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j14g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

The Verizon Wifi router that I have is indeed long in the tooth. It often requires more than 1 or 2 attempts to log on to that f'ing radio. I will remodel the LAN any time soon now . Then I have to find out whether to get another router and if so which one. At the moment the WR1424 or whatever the VZ router is called is only 10/100, as are most all other things on the LAN. Need to find out whether I should rewire for gigabit LAN ...

This'll be a wintertime project.

Reply to
Han

Unless, of course, it has Ashely Judd in it; or is starts with "O'Brother...", or "World's Fastest Indian". ;)

Reply to
Swingman

So, can your -TV- get viruses from dem poan sites now?

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air? -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Me too, but I have more invested in VHS tapes, DVDs, and audio cassettes than I do in the players. I'm not ready to trash them all yet!

It should be nice to invoke (audio) mp3 files on my computer from the tv in the living room. I will listen to them more.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I soon realized that they track everything you do in your browser and nixed it from my box. It slowed down the computer, too, which is how I caught that little quirk. (I wasn't on Amazon, either.)

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air? -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Mine is immune. Yours??

Reply to
Han

Just a hunch: I doubt your tv is smart enough to pick up a virus. It's not like it's much a computing platform. But writing one to your USB Flash memory--that may be a different story.

Surely there is a reader who is wililng to tell me how wrong I am. : )

Reply to
Bill

Well, if your TV is dumb enough to be a Windows PC, look for 100 viruses/day... Unix based, not so much, cause no one uses Unix TV's, no one writes for those buggers:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 04:51:08 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

What? No tablet or Ipad? Personally, I'm waiting for a Xoom 3g/4g to come out in Canada and then I'll be prepared to buy.

Reply to
Dave

2002 Panasonic with 27" flat tube hooked only to a DVD player through the surround receiver? I'll not likely need immunity with no feed. ;)

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air? -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(U)nix users acquire viruses all the time.

They just can't tell the difference if they have one running or not.

--------------

"Jack Stein" wrote in message news:j0p5h6$obf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me... Well, if your TV is dumb enough to be a Windows PC, look for 100 viruses/day... Unix based, not so much, cause no one uses Unix TV's, no one writes for those buggers:-)

Reply to
m II

I'm looking closely at webOS on the Samsung tablet.... so nope, no iPad yet. I can't consolidate it in my daily affairs. Stuff like appointments, contacts, are all handled just nicely by my BB.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think you named all but one! ~). Don't forget Second Hand Lions.

Reply to
Leon

Yep....Unix is a virus:

W> (U)nix users acquire viruses all the time.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Han wrote in news:Xns9F2F5D7A5A0C4ikkezelf@207.246.207.190:

If you replace the router with a gigabit router, you might be able to take advantage of gigabit immediately. Most cables for some time now have been cat 5e, which supports gigabit speeds. (I may not be getting

1000 mbs on my older cables, but it's much faster than 100.)

You won't see faster internet, but computer-to-computer transfers will be much faster.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:4e307cc2$0$32213$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Thanks!! Do you have any advice as to a good cost-effective gigabit router??

Reply to
Han

Han wrote in news:Xns9F2FB1F5D3915ikkezelf@

207.246.207.166:

I'd check the various sales sites that have reviews and look for at least

4 stars with lots of reviews. As long as you don't want to do anything fancy like internal DNS, most gigabit routers will work for you. (If you don't know what that is, you probably don't need it.)

If you want wireless, make sure it supports 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n for maximum compatibility.

You can also buy a gigabit switch, connect it to the router and then connect all your computers to the switch. It won't save you much money, but should just plug in and work.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:4e308b87$0$9801 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Thanks!

Reply to
Han

Which is why I've added a USB3 interface card and an external USB3 drive to my computer. They're an excellent addition when it comes to backing up my computer.

Reply to
Dave

How can they do that? Do you mean that they look at the cookies on my computer if I visit their web site?

Bill

Reply to
Bill