OT: Just a thought.

Fred of Sanford and Son also had some sort of appeal (to me). I went to see him in Las Vegas, but he wasn't the same innocent guy I had seen on tv. Still, no regrets about seeing his act.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I just realized that I watched HSB, too. Veronica Hamel was a hottie. I was thinking that was the Simpsons-like cartoon with rednecks, um, King of the Hill. (had to look it up) I've never watched that one.

Har! Redd Fox was -=never=- an innocent, ever. I think the F word was invented for him. He was a -very- funny guy, but only if you're OK with cursing.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Me neither... She was HOT.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yeah, he was funny. I'm sure that's the F word you were thinking of! ;)

Reply to
Bill

By the way, Redd spelt it F-o-x-x-. (period!) : )

Reply to
Bill

She was hotter at 50 than most women at 25 :-).

BTW, a few weeks ago I found a set of 36 VHS tapes of Avengers episodes from '63 thru '67. 13 episodes per year. Commercially reproduced, not homegrown copies. Cost me $7. We're currently converting them all to DVD.

Does that deserve a "you suck"?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Indeed it does.

Reply to
Robatoy

Major suckitude, dude.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Ringo is a great author. I love his "Kildar" series, but "The Last Centurion" should be required reading at about grade 7 or 8.

Just as a reality check.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

But, but, but... the book has (a few) naughty words! And it has that situation where his 120 men (and 60 Nepalese) took "temporary" Muslim wives!

Plus his president is so thinly disguised (i.e., Hillary Clinton), that the kids would reject his dissing of her!

Think of the children.

Reply to
HeyBub

I haven't read that one, but my favorite was _Ghost_. I love his "Posleen War" series, complete with BunBun.

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

BunBun rocks...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Since our air-conditioner isn't keeping up with the heat Mother Nature is dispensing, it occurred to me to take a trip to Frys Electronics to see about upgrading our 16 year old Magnavox tv.

Adding to what I learned while I was having some auto work done the other day: Evidently LED is now a winner over LCD and units connected to the Internet are on the way to becoming the norm (I was told Samsung was pushing by not introducing any other sort). Of course, from what I saw (keeps me on-topic) those sets are not ready for prime time, having merely a cell-phone type interface. I still don't have or want a cell phone.

Of course, then there is audio. I saw some sound bars (they are bigger than I remember them). That may be the ticket. Course figuring out a good alternative to Comcast's "triple play" would be attractive too. Frys had a pile of MagicJack's (USB phone device) for $40 (+$19.95/yr). That may be a good start if it works!

I reminded myself that I don't even like tv that much and came home unscathed--but cooler, and with a slab of ribs. : )

Anyone who can't tell the difference between a "need" and a "want" is at a big disadvantage these days.

At the end of the day I better appreciate the longevity of i'rn, the peace that I find in good books, and visiting with you folks here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That makes sense? Bad a/c = shopping for a new TV!

All LED sets are actually LCD sets with either backlit LED format, which takes a lot of power (as does Plasma), or edgelit LED which allows for the 1/2" thick screens. Edgelits are probably the best value right now at only a slight price margin, with backlits almost double the price. I researched TVs recently and helped install one for my neighbor. My old tube set is still working fine, and with Netflix doubling their damned prices (33.3-50%) next month, I'm glad I didn't take that $600 plunge myself.

I have no idea what you saw, but it sure sounds weird.

I have (but -exceedingly- seldom use) a cell phone. I use it when clients give me bogus directions to their house.

Sound bars? Forget it! The stereo separation sucks with them.

Use a surround sound system, Bill. Even the cheapies add a real dimension to action/adventure movies. I bought that 5.1 Technics receiver 13 years ago and it still sounds good. 2 fronts, 2 rears, and the center channel speaker. The Bose 501s (fronts) kick out a pretty hefty bass so I didn't necessarily need the subwoofer. The little ESS bookshelf rears bring out the spacial effects, and the old 12" woofer from my parents' 50s stereo set into a Pioneer HPM-40 speaker enclosure fills in the center channel just fine.

More bogosity.

Bueno.

Amen to that.

I'll second that! (now that twit filters handle the other 75%)

P.S: Please don't misspell 'old arn' again, sir.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The AC has been running non-stop, and the thermostat has read 87 for the last 3 hours, so I asked my wife to call "The Man" tomorrow morning. Hopefully the thermostat is broken! ; )

prime time, having

There seem to be 2 main "Internet TVs" leading the way: Samsung Smart TV and Sony's "Google TV". They even have Wi-Fi, which opens up a pathway to your router. The "keyboard" on Samsung's remote works like a cell-phones: Needing to push the 1 button three times to enter a "C". A small "qwerty" remote is available on high-end models or as an option.

The smart money probably sits this one out--at least until the day after Thanksgiving...or even another year or more.

Product reviews seem to be consistent with your comments about 5.1. Can't have too many remote controls around, huh?

We don't have a working camera anymore (except on my wife's cell phone). I've been looking at "point and shoot" ones. They had so many models at Frys Electronics is was silly--old models and new models. I'll pick one, eventually, based largely upon reviews. I need to build something to shoot first!

Sorry, about that. I need a spell-checker. I wonder if modern kids own dictionaries?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bad a/c ==> go somewhere with better a/c.

makes sense to me!

'looking at new TVs' was just the 'excuse'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

LED is an improved lighting over the normal LCD florescent back lighting. LED does not replace LCD, it lights it. Basically you have LCD, LED LCD, and a very expensive OLED LCD, "Organic LED".

Reply to
Leon

G'luck with that. ;)

Indeed!

I thought 7.1 was the new standard this millennium.

Anything over $100 is likely to give you anything you want and do it well. Avoid the cheapies. They're truly horrible. I like Nikons. Older review:

Last year's model is just as good but half the price.

NOT a biggie in the overall well-being of the universe, eh?

The Wreck is your spell-checker. DAGS. Smart modern kids know this and utilize it; dumb modern kids don't care.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(Shhhhh! I was trying to see if he was using his feminine genes.)

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Much better to have turned it off when that happens. If you know where the compressor is and can verify that it is running, turn the unit off immediately. By leaving it running you can almost guarantee yourself a bigger repair bill. Cause of symptom generally either a bad capacitor, low on freon, evaporator coils frozen, compressor bad.

You will also want to check that your overflow pan is not stopped up.

Reply to
Swingman