Just a thought re carpet fitting...Silly?

Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt. Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper) on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is underlay generally fireproof these days. Assuming something would be available.
The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was a fire.
On 07/08/2017 19:35, ss wrote:

Take up smoking in bed. That way you remove the kitchen as the place most likely to be the start of a fire.
--
Adam

On 07/08/2017 19:57, ARW wrote:

When flying in a plane you should take a bomb with you, as the chances of there being two bombs on a plane are very small.
--
Michael Chare

On Monday, 7 August 2017 19:35:18 UTC+1, ss wrote:

Paper & underlay are obviously not fireproof. Paper is only used with foam backed carpet to stop it sticking.
NT
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 00:11:02 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't see why not. It would be perfectly safe - a woven fabric enclosed in the building structure.
Owain
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 09:52:10 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Putting asbestos blanket under carpet would not enclose it in any structure and it would release fibres. It's an obviously not sensible idea. And not worth further discussion.
NT
On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 05:32:58 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

I bet they destroy it instead of being sensible & selling it for low rise use.
NT
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 19:35:12 +0100, ss wrote:

What's this "fireproof lining (paper)"? Something intumescent? A quick google doesn't return anything that appears to be a floor covering.

Ah...

I suppose something that sealed the floor might give you a few more minutes but a rate of rise "smoke" alarm in the kitchen linked to the others around the house would alert you well before anything intumescent was swelling up.
I think the polyurethane chip underlay is impervious to smoke so using that as the underlay would effectively seal the floor. I'd not use any rubber based underlay these days.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 08/08/2017 08:14, Brian Gaff wrote:

Thanks all for the input, it would seem not to be such a good idea. It was just one of these things I got thinking about as I need to redo the bedroom. After Grenfell and getting older I realise I would maybe need a bit more time to climb out a window, the curse of old age :-)
writes

When our farmhouse (Victorian cottages) was done up. The architect specified 6mm plywood to be laid over the 9" floor boarding. I think this was intended to smooth rather than add fire resistance but, every little, helps. Decent, well maintained alarm as said.
--
Tim Lamb

ss submitted this idea :

Replacing your bedroom door, with a firedoor might be more sensible option.