Fitting a carpet

I need to carpet a room, going to use it as an office. I know a guy who will do it cheap but he's always busy.

I would have thought that the cutting was where the skill was but this room hasn't any skirting yet. It's freshly reboarded, there's no underlay, does it need fixing down? If not i'll do it myself.

Reply to
R D S

Most of my carpets did not have the underlay fixed, and have been fine. One I didn't do has the underlay glued to the carpet, but not to the floor.

Cutting doesn't strike me as particularly a skill, but as with any diy there are people that will mess it up.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

tabbypurr

I have fitted several rooms, mainly bedrooms as not so noticed if I got it wrong. Never had a problem and happy with the outcome. I just leave the underlay without fixing, the backing seems to hold it in place. As for cutting the carpet not so much a skill as take your time and dont rush it. I done a 17 x 12 room in under an hour, by that I mean I had all in place and the final cut (trim) was under an hour to go round the edges and trim it using a kicker to stretch as best I could. Video clips on utube.

Reply to
ss

Good Grief. What carpet what underlay? Talking to fitters they usually stretch carpets and hold the edges with those strips of upward facing pin things. If you don't stretch it uniformly, in a short time you get wrinkles and bulges as it stretcheds when walked on. It is a bit of an art, though I'm sur its easy to teach it. Sadly the state of my knees these days mean any new carpet I get will be fitted by somebody else! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff