Fitting wardrobes and carpet

Hi, This might be a dumb question but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I am planning to fit wardrobes. Do they stand on the floorboards and the carpet butts up to them or do they sit on the carpet?

Reply to
G Cook

I would tend to have the wardrobes on the floor and the carpet butting up to them,,makes a more level/accurate/unyielding base surface

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

The former, preferably, as you will probably need to adjust with feet/packing in places to get dead level. If they are fitted wardrobes with, say, one exposed end panel and a clip on plinth piece (like in a kitchen), it's better to lay the carpet to butt the end piece and underneath the front a bit. The plinth bit can then be trimmed to fit over the carpet with no gap. Well, that's how I did mine and haven't regretted it :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You also want to consider, is your wardrobe likely to outlive the carpet? If so, it would be a bit of a mess having the old carpet underneath the wardrobe fittings; you'd have to dismantle and rebuild the wardrobe to get it out, or leave it place and cut it flush with the front.

Might end up a bit cheaper to carpet the room, as the effective floor area would be less - you can still carpet inside the wardrobe but there's often offcuts which can be used for that.

David

Reply to
Lobster