OT: Just a thought.

Page 5 of 8
Yep....Unix is a virus:
Windows is a virus with a user interface.
On 7/27/2011 10:04 AM, m II wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Puckdropper wrote:

Thank you for all of your comments! Very helpful. My wife has a Wii (a gift). I didn't realize it had wi-fi. Will it support browsing?
I just checked my PC's GPU manual and I have a HDMI output and didn't even know it. But since the TV and PC reside in separate rooms, and the PC is wired down, I would only be willing to move it for an occasion so special that it is unlikely to happen. I think I would rather just carry USB memory back and forth for the sake of content.
Thanks again for helping me catch up with what is going on with the technology.
Bill

Add pictures here
✖

If your TV has a USB input, then you may be able to use a USB wireless adapter to transfer your content. $20 or $30 and you're in business.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/wireless-n-usb-adapters/26056.aspx
Add pictures here
✖
Dave wrote:

Thank you for your reply. But based upon reading reviews, I've learned that LG, Samsung and Sony tv seems to prefer (require!) proprietary wireless adapters. There was some "irritation" that tv's which were adverised as "wi-fi ready" required the extra investment.
I guess attaching a Blue-Ray player having wi-fi is a way around this.
BTW, if you (anyone) hastn't tried camelcamelcamel.com, it's a great way to view the price history of products you are interested in.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖

I soon realized that they track everything you do in your browser and nixed it from my box. It slowed down the computer, too, which is how I caught that little quirk. (I wasn't on Amazon, either.)
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Jaques wrote:

How can they do that? Do you mean that they look at the cookies on my computer if I visit their web site?
Bill
Add pictures here
✖

It will. Connect the WiFi and download the software update. Then, you'll be able to access the Wii Shop channel. After that, you can download the web browser (which is a version of Opera).
It seems just about every time I want to use the Wii Shop channel, I have to download a software update. As a result, I rarely go there.

A decent PC with HDMI output can be had for a couple hundred dollars, so setting up a media PC isn't that expensive. You could even add a capture card to use the PC as a DVR.

Puckdropper
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/19/2011 11:06 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I think you have your terminology mixed up. I personally have the old style LCD and the newer LED LCD screens. The LED LCD screen produces little to no heat after being on all day long and the lowest energy consumption of any regular LCD screen.

Add pictures here
✖

You obviously bought an edgelit model. There are two types. http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisions/qt/ledlcdtvfacts.htm I put my hand on a few sets while we were looking at TVs and the LCD and edgelit LED LCD sets were barely over room temps. The full array was close to the heat of the plasmas, and you could feel it on a bare arm from a couple feet away while walking by. Shying away from the heat (knowing it would cost her precious money) I didn't notice the brand or model numbers. It was in Sears, though (against my advice not to shop there.)
-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice
Add pictures here
✖

cucumber. My 46" plasma throws a fair bit of warmth, but what a picture. Especially now that I have it powered through a variac with conditioning. The 46 had a better picture than the 50 right next to it as it has the same amount of pixels but more densely packed.
Oh, and C-less, you don't know your bananas from your elbow.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 05:42:55 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I don't think so. The plasmas all have glass (glaring crap) screens and I believe this one had more of a matte screen.

But were they edgelit or full array? That's key. I'm thinking they were all edgelit.

Just "a fair bit", eh? Was there lots of a/c noise showing up as artifacts onscreen before the variac/line conditioner?

I know mine, but not others. I leave that to you banana barons, sir.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/20/2011 9:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

If you are shopping be careful to not rely on that to differentiate. Many retailers will put a protective coating on the screens on both LCD and plasma screens as an add on to the sale. Those protective films come in glossy and matte finishes. Not saying that is what you saw but it is often hard to tell a plasma from an LCD. I have found that the sure fire way to tell is lift the corner, plasma sets are still damn heavy sets by comparison.
Add pictures here
✖

Toss in disc#1 of BBC's Planets BluRay and I will tell you in a few seconds which is which. It is becoming more difficult, mind you as the LED/LCD are at 1080p and fast refresh rates (Where are we at now/ 240Hz?) and they're getting their blacks blacker, but the shadow detail and highlight information, PLUS the 600Hz+ refresh of a plasma is hard to beat. The downside of plasma, is the power consumption and you need a dark, unlit wall behind you. The anti-glare plasma screens give up too much detail. I would be happy with a 1080pLED/LCD at 120hz or faster, but in the meantime, I will enjoy my plasma.
Add pictures here
✖

Also... a dead give-away is when the sales guys keep saying things like: "Those new LED/LCD are getting as good as plasma......."
Add pictures here
✖

<g> Of course not.

I didn't care, since the plasmas are all heaters. I won't buy one.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/20/2011 7:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Nope, back lit. Relatively inexpensive. As thick or thicker than the other regular LCD screens in my house. And no noticeable heat.
There are two types.

Add pictures here
✖
Baloney! White LEDs are not much more efficient than an incandescent bulb! White LEDs are not as efficient as the old fluorescent bulbs used in previous LCD sets. Manufacturer`s specs are with a bare element and the case and ballasts are never included in the specs.
Any LED TV gets just as warm as the fluor sets but not nearly as warm as a plasma. Check you specs carefully and notice how it always claims ``after calibration`` which means only visible when dark.
----------------- "Leon" wrote in message
Nope, back lit. Relatively inexpensive. As thick or thicker than the other regular LCD screens in my house. And no noticeable heat.
There are two types.

Add pictures here
✖

Balast? On LED's?
Add pictures here
✖
LEDs are current devices. Something has to absorb the excess voltage when you control the current supply to it.
Basic woodworking101.
---------------- "Robatoy" wrote in message
Balast? On LED's?
Add pictures here
✖

LED's are diodes. To power it from a 120vac source, one needs a small 200volt rated cap, a 1K resistor and another LED or diode. Period. No farking ballasts. The cap smooths out the wave, the resistor stops the LED from over voltage.
Add pictures here
✖