OT: Just a thought.

Your first guess was right--bad capacitor. He installed a generic one of the right size, and is coming back tomorrow with a "Carrier" branded one. $264 including tax. I noticed online that those parts seem to go for about $40, so next time I may have a go at it myself ("pull the power, remove cover, simple swap". He said they normally last 5-7 years and our unit is 10 years old. And yes, I DO have some idea what capacitors are capable of! : ) Although I've never handled such a large one (50.5 + 7.5). Probably still very tiny by Lew's standards.

Hmm.. I think ours goes through a pvc pipe directly down into the sewer/drainage.

Thanks! Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes, you explained it perfectly. Info on tvs and cameras isn't exactly valueless to me either. The bbq ribs eliminated making our situation worse too--if you're going to sweat, you may as well not be hungry. We ate outside where warm air seems more tolerable. : )

Reply to
Bill

right size, and

noticed online

myself ("pull

and our unit is

Although I've

standards.

Wow. I had a start capacitor go bad on a Trane compressor unit about 10 years ago and the entire bill (service call, part, and labor) from one of the local Austin service companies (Casa Mechanical) was about $60. I was quite pleased to pay that bill; I was worried it would be much more.

Reply to
Steve Turner

At least for computers, manufacturers seem to be going back to 2.1, since few people are willing to wire 5.1 (or 7.1) properly. At least that's how MaximumPC explains it, and it is consistent with market offerings. I picked up Logitech Z5500 (5.1) speakers on sale from Dell for about $200 about 5 or 6 years ago. They appear to be twice that now.

Reply to
Bill

That's one ... there usually is another safety pan under the evaporator coils that, in the last 20 years +, most often drains outside.

Reply to
Swingman

Bet they did not point out that the huge LED array generates considerable heat. Adds to your air conditioning bill!

Reply to
Steve

No they don't. Usually a quarter of similar size plasma, and less than a standard LCD with fluorescent backlight.

Reply to
Robatoy

LEDs are used in the backlight. LED TVs aren't mini-Jumbotrons. They use a hell of a lot less electricity than does my 46" plasma (~500W).

Reply to
krw

The full LED arrays compare to the energy inefficiency of the plamas. Walk by either one from a couple feet and you can feel the heat.

Edgelit LED arrays are much more efficient, taking just a bit more than the comparably sized LCD. These are the way to go.

The 37" Vizio I helped my neighbor choose was LCD and takes 68 Watts. She's thrilled, moving up from a 26 year old 19" tube type.

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

CNET has charts.. on average (46") plasma 400watts, LCD 120watts, LEDLCD 105 watts, edgelit banana 3 watts

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Susan Rice

Reply to
Robatoy

Are those the ones they label "LED-LCD"? It seems the back lit LEDs are getting a lot of credit for a better picture through "micro-dimming". As a CRT owner, you can be sure I'm a techno-snob--or that I don't watch much tv..lol. The last time I bought a tv the Internet was barely in its infancy! :) After a bit of window-shopping, the Samsung Smart TV more or less rose to the top, but I feel like even its Internet-related features are not "ready for prime time".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hey Rob, thanks for finding this. I went looking for the info for a Samsung, and in the user manual it directed the user to the "tag on the unit" for power information!

A month ago, I would have thought LCD was fine. But if you look at an LCD and LED side-by-side, I think the LED makes a good case for itself (by being Much brighter). I was surprised by the amount of difference.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

One of the biggest advantages of a LED display is the absence of heat. Much much cooler than the common LCD display which is many times over cooler than the old CRT.

Reply to
Leon

I think you have your terminology mixed up. I personally have the old style LCD and the newer LED LCD screens. The LED LCD screen produces little to no heat after being on all day long and the lowest energy consumption of any regular LCD screen.

Reply to
Leon

Not to mention, cooler, and much longer life expectancy over the florescent style LCD.

Reply to
Leon

Cite,please. I defy you to show me a 46" TV which takes only 3W. That's bullshit and you know it, Toy. Those are edgelit numbers.

Everyone know that you need to do a full backlight on a banana if you want decent contrast, and that takes wattage.

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You obviously bought an edgelit model. There are two types.

put my hand on a few sets while we were looking at TVs and the LCD and edgelit LED LCD sets were barely over room temps. The full array was close to the heat of the plasmas, and you could feel it on a bare arm from a couple feet away while walking by. Shying away from the heat (knowing it would cost her precious money) I didn't notice the brand or model numbers. It was in Sears, though (against my advice not to shop there.)

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Musta been a mislabelled plasma. The ones I have seen are cool as a cucumber. My 46" plasma throws a fair bit of warmth, but what a picture. Especially now that I have it powered through a variac with conditioning. The 46 had a better picture than the 50 right next to it as it has the same amount of pixels but more densely packed.

Oh, and C-less, you don't know your bananas from your elbow.

Reply to
Robatoy

Nope, back lit. Relatively inexpensive. As thick or thicker than the other regular LCD screens in my house. And no noticeable heat.

There are two types.

Reply to
Leon

Baloney! White LEDs are not much more efficient than an incandescent bulb! White LEDs are not as efficient as the old fluorescent bulbs used in previous LCD sets. Manufacturer`s specs are with a bare element and the case and ballasts are never included in the specs.

Any LED TV gets just as warm as the fluor sets but not nearly as warm as a plasma. Check you specs carefully and notice how it always claims ``after calibration`` which means only visible when dark.

Nope, back lit. Relatively inexpensive. As thick or thicker than the other regular LCD screens in my house. And no noticeable heat.

There are two types.

Reply to
m II