OT: Just a thought.

Page 3 of 8
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 03:15:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

(Shhhhh! I was trying to see if he was using his feminine genes.)
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Yes, you explained it perfectly. Info on tvs and cameras isn't exactly valueless to me either. The bbq ribs eliminated making our situation worse too--if you're going to sweat, you may as well not be hungry. We ate outside where warm air seems more tolerable. : )
On 7/17/2011 7:18 PM, Bill wrote:

LED is an improved lighting over the normal LCD florescent back lighting. LED does not replace LCD, it lights it. Basically you have LCD, LED LCD, and a very expensive OLED LCD, "Organic LED".

Bet they did not point out that the huge LED array generates considerable heat. Adds to your air conditioning bill!

No they don't. Usually a quarter of similar size plasma, and less than a standard LCD with fluorescent backlight.
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:04:58 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

The full LED arrays compare to the energy inefficiency of the plamas. Walk by either one from a couple feet and you can feel the heat.
Edgelit LED arrays are much more efficient, taking just a bit more than the comparably sized LCD. These are the way to go.
The 37" Vizio I helped my neighbor choose was LCD and takes 68 Watts. She's thrilled, moving up from a 26 year old 19" tube type.
-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

*buzzerrrr*
CNET has charts.. on average (46") plasma 400watts, LCD 120watts, LEDLCD 105 watts, edgelit banana 3 watts

Robatoy wrote:

Hey Rob, thanks for finding this. I went looking for the info for a Samsung, and in the user manual it directed the user to the "tag on the unit" for power information!
A month ago, I would have thought LCD was fine. But if you look at an LCD and LED side-by-side, I think the LED makes a good case for itself (by being Much brighter). I was surprised by the amount of difference.
Bill

On 7/20/2011 12:13 AM, Bill wrote:

Not to mention, cooler, and much longer life expectancy over the florescent style LCD.
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:16:47 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Cite,please. I defy you to show me a 46" TV which takes only 3W. That's bullshit and you know it, Toy. Those are edgelit numbers.
Everyone know that you need to do a full backlight on a banana if you want decent contrast, and that takes wattage.
-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice
Larry Jaques wrote:

Are those the ones they label "LED-LCD"? It seems the back lit LEDs are getting a lot of credit for a better picture through "micro-dimming". As a CRT owner, you can be sure I'm a techno-snob--or that I don't watch much tv..lol. The last time I bought a tv the Internet was barely in its infancy! :) After a bit of window-shopping, the Samsung Smart TV more or less rose to the top, but I feel like even its Internet-related features are not "ready for prime time".
Bill

On 7/20/2011 12:32 AM, Bill wrote:

I have both LCD and LED TV's. The LCD was breath taking compared to my old tube TV. My wife got a Samsung LED with wireless internet for Xmas from the kids. The LED picture is awesome compared to the LCD. The wireless internet hookup works but is not what you would think. You can only do a few limited things, like YouTube, stock quotes, Netflix, weather. It is very limited. I was not able to network my PC or the internet to the wireless hookup. It has a really nice jpg picture viewer that works off a thumb drive, and my digital photos are awesome on the thing. I wanted to hook my PC wirelessly to view the photos but nope, couldn't get it to work.
With comcast, you need a HD box to get HD. That costs extra, and an HD TV w/o the extra HD box sucks worse than my old tube TV. Personally, TV is a wasteland, but, if you have a VCR so you can record the things you are interested in, and then watch at your leisure skipping commercials, it's not too bad.
--
Jack

What's a VCR? . . . . *smirk*
On 7/26/2011 10:43 AM, Robatoy wrote:

DVR, thanks for caring...
--
Jack

Your sense of humour needs a severe overhaul.
Jack Stein wrote:

Yes, I read alot of reviews this week. That shifted my thinking from the Samsung "7000" series (w/wi-fi, web browser, 240Hz) to the Samsung "6000" series (ethernet connection but no wi-fi, 120 hz, no web browser). I'm not enthused by 3D. This shift knocks about 1/3 off of the price, and I can add some of the extra features as "add ons" when they are more "ready for prime time". Current web browsers on TV appear to be a step back to dialup access (actually much worse than that)!
I've noticed quite a lack of real-time streaming content (like the financial news on CNBC) among Internet "content providers". Of course, Comcast and CNBC are corporately-related somehow, and "they" know what they are doing/manipulating...
I was not able to network my PC or the

I actually have the HD box, because when I moved, the new "standard" box seemed suck-o (taking at least 5 seconds to change channels). I got a replacement box, same thing. So now I'm paying 7.50/mo more for the HD box--but it has a DVR too.
Personally, TV

Yes, the DVR/VCR improved the whole experience. The Woodwright Shop and a few other shows are recorded automatically, and I can zip through the commercials some other shows in short order. Its sort of laughable that there can be so many channels with so little content. I noticed a show the other days teaching women (young girls) how to "flirt". I wonder why more kids don't want to grow up to be engineers?
Bill

If you want internet access on the TV, get one with a PC connector (It's a 15-pin D-style connector) or a PC with HDMI output. TVs are getting to be fancy monitors, so you won't get the fuzziness of picture like you would even 5 years ago.
You can get internet access on the Wii, but it's really not that great.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

I get internet and internet services like Pandora & Netflix via my blueray player, but since I depend on wifi and a Verizon router, it sucks most of the time. I have to get an ethernet cable strung through the basement from one end of the livingroom to the other <sh_t> ...
As the salesman said, you can get a fancy TV with internet, or one without. Many/most BR players are equipped so can supply it. Or a PC ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/26/2011 8:52 PM, Han wrote:

I have a Samsung BluRay that is WiFi and I have pretty good internet Pandora, YouTube. You might want to check your internet speed, IIRC 6 megabits is the least you want for streaming video and or make sure your router is not getting long in the tooth. You do not have to have an Ethernet connection if every thing else is working correctly.
Leon wrote:

No, that wireless router quit doing wireless about a year ago and has been replaced.
Maybe the hardware offerings will improve in the coming months.
I'm assume that the motivation for the larger Blue-ray storage is that they are not large enough for HD movies. I know a standard DVD holds about 5GB and standard BR holds about 25GB. Do you take it for granted that videos you buy for your Blue-Ray player are in HD?
I currently have a DVD player that also plays VHS underneath my DVR and my Cablebox. These units are starting to pile up! : )
Bill
You do not have to have an