OT: Help with IE

Sorry for the OT post but you guys always know the answer.

I logged onto the net just now to read the news, and found that most of the regular websites I read (e.g. CNN, Yahoo, MLB, NYT, etc.) display differently: the text size is much bigger, and the web pages lop over the screen so that the horizontal scroll bar is needed. Just a few hours ago the web pages fit the screen just fine. Other websites (e.g. Wickipedia) display normally, as they used to.

I've checked the screen resolution on my video card (1152 X 864 pixels), sane as before. In IE, I've set the text sixe to "smallest", but there's no change.

What am I missing?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Do you have a scroll wheel on your mouse? If so, try (while on a web page in IE) pressing and holding the key and rotating the scroll wheel. This should allow you to vary the font size "live".

Reply to
Greg Neill

Thanks Gerg, no luck, but I found the answer otherwise.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I found the answer: Under the "VIEW" tab there's a line called "Zoom" that had been switched from 100% to 125%; how I don;t know. Possibly by the CRTL+ mis-keys.

Anyway, thanks.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Hey Zz, don't be stingey. What's the answer??

Reply to
C & E

For future reference, in IE, Firefox, and Safari: Ctrl-plus zooms in Ctrl-minus zooms out Ctrl-zero resets to normal

Opera is almost the same: plus zooms in minus zooms out Ctrl-zero resets to normal

Reply to
Doug Miller

Under "VIEW" there's a line for "Zoom", it had been changed from 100% to 125%. Probably by me accidentilly hitting CTRL+ at some point.

See Goug's reply for details.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Greg -> Gerg Doug -> Goug

Having a bad day at the keyboard? :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hlke1k$ucv$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Glad to see CTRL-0 is consistent among the browsers. It's much easier to tell someone "Try pressing CTRL-0" rather than saying "What browser are you running" (followed by "What's a browser?")

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Some times I have to delete all of the temporary files and the cookies.

Also IE 8 has different rendering models.

In fact, Microsoft screwed up so badly, they actually have a list of websites that they update that has instructions on which rendering engine IE should use.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

No worse than usual, but I lost my cheaters for a couple hours.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

"Puckdropper" wrote

Ah, yes. The computer illiterate question.

I mentioned the word browser to an unusually dense (and attractive) young woman once and she told me she didn't have a dog.

Many years ago I was trying to teach a computer phobic person how to use a word processor. The kept grabbing the mouse like it was hot or something. I asked what was the problem. She said that she was afraid of the mouse. I asked why. She said, get ready for this, "It is a mouse, isn't it?"

Reply to
Lee Michaels

*Years* ago -- think 'Windows/386' days -- a friend talked about manufacturing and selling a "joystick operated mouse" for _exactly_ that type of person.

He had several other products in the works -- a mouse-equivalent for mainframe systems; called 'a rat'. one that worked in 3 dimensions -- for 3D modeling -- 'der fledermaus' one that was built with the ball on the top, and the buttons on the bottom -- it was a black-market mouse, you used it _under_ the table.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Also in Seamonkey.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Anybody know how Chrome behaves in this respect?

Reply to
Doug Miller