Cherry Bookcase Finished

Hey Gang,

I finished my cherry bookcase. Not my style at all, but I enjoyed the process.

me know what you think.

Thanks for looking Brian

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Looks great, though I can't see it in full color... my old monitor is about to give out... new one on the way.

The grain seems to be well visible. I've understood an oil or oil based finish enhances the grain on cherry. I've delayed work on my cherry entertainment center, because of cold weather, and I'm interested in the grain being well seen. I haven't tested any finishes, yet. I was initially thinking of applying BLO as a first coat, for that grain enhancement, but with further research, I'm thinking maybe not, after all. BLO might not be the best first-coat finish, since it seems to darken on other woods I've finished (blackens on old cypress). So I'm looking for an alternative and still get good grain visibility and also retain good cherry color, after final finishing (sprayed lacquer is the plan). Would a sprayed oil poly, topped with lacquer, be better/best? I've never built a major piece, as this, using cherry, so working with cherry is a bit new for me, this way.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

shelf supports. Works for me.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Not 'zactly my style, but the joinery and fit and finish and grain display are great.

Good job.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I've never used that combination of finish, however I have used tung oil followed by poly. I think I am getting very lazy with finishing these days. I just whip out the spray gun and fill with poly. Pain- free finish with nice results.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Thank you. I got the idea of doing the shelf supports that way from an article in FWW. If you are interested and have access it is here:

GarageWoodworks

It looks good - the tapered flutes came out well, and it looks better than it would have with the dovetails you'd considered - but I don't understand the rounded over trim piece in the last photo...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The trim goes around the perimeter of the bottom shelf. The bottom shelf rests on the front and back rail and ledgers left right. There was a little gap left right that I wanted to hide. The trim accomplished this task.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Wrap and ship. You should be proud.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thank you.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I like the tapered flutes. You'll catch hell from Larry for using polyurethane, but it looks great from here. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Reply to
Russ Stanton

I like everything /else/ - really well. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Nice work. I like the tapered flutes. You can maybe paint them a different color so they stand out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

:^)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Gorgeous! ... really like the grain matching. Very well done!!

(nice photography, also)

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks Karl!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I like it. Very well executed. Looks like a couple of those boards have some very nice figure

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Super nice. Very well executed.

Is that final picture HDR photography?