OT dangerous dogs

Drive-by: I can't help it. Ready?
What's this set of sounds indicative of?
CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP. <pause> BLAM!!!!!!!!!! CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP.
page down... . . . . . . . An Amish drive-by.
(Jerry S.) doth sayeth:

But wait....doesn't the bayonet make it an assault weapon? :-)

Only if the SKS in question is Chinese. If it's Russian, or Yugoslavian, then it's just fine. I'm sure this makes sense somehow.

Because "Russian" and "Yugoslavian" already contain the letter "A", but "Chinese" does not. Obviously.

Of course. Makes as much sense as any other theory I've seen, and more than many. Good insight, Doug!
Dave

snip
snip
"Clint" snip
Sound advise. However, we have had some recent cases where loose pit bulls have mauled and killed some kids. When my kids were young, I kept and eye on them. Get and train your own dog to protect the kids.
Dave
Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 2:07pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@teamcasadot.org (Teamcasa) doth sayeth: <snip> loose pit bulls have mauled and killed some kids. <snip>
Not just pit bulls. And, not just kids, adults too, some in their 20s and 30s. Ever see any videos of pit bulls biting tires and puncturing them? Scary.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:23:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Never seen that. Wow. If that's true, they're even scarier than I'd imagined.

(Teamcasa) doth

Yep, I seen it. A friend that lives in a somewhat rural area raises them and regularly "feeds" them tires to play with. They only last a week or so before they are just shredded or disappear completely! How a dog can eat a tire and not die is beyond me. Its also mystifies me why anyone would want a dog like that anyway.
Dave
Yes, pit bulls in particular are very dangerous if they decide to attack.
Irresponsible ownership of this animal should be and is being dealt with in terms of imprisonment, heavy fines and putting the animals in question down.
TMT
Fri, Nov 18, 2005, 7:32am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@teamcasadot.org (Teamcasa) Yep, I seen it. A friend that lives in a somewhat rural area raises them and regularly "feeds" them tires to play with. They only last a week or so before they are just shredded or disappear completely! How a dog can eat a tire and not die is beyond me. Its also mystifies me why anyone would want a dog like that anyway.
I wasn't referring to a "dead" tire. I've seen several videos of pit bulls rampaging down streets, puncturing vehicle tires, and causing them to instantly deflate. Vidoeos by people in vehicles, or their homes. No telling what would have happened if any people had been out. Fortunately, in the videos I saw, none were. Scary.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:37:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Holy Cow! I think I'll stick with hounds. They're way more laid back.
Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 7:58pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.non (Clint) <snip> If the dog is close enough to be threatening to the kids, I think it would be too close to the kids to fire a weapon at. IMHO.
One of the results of proper firearms training is not only safe firearms handling, but to be able to hit what you aim at. AND, to NOT take an unsafe shot. The appropiate action would be to approach close enough to be sure of missing the kid(s), and hitting the dog. Duh.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
snipped-for-privacy@tx.net (Paul Brumman) wrote:

Anyone asking for legal advice on a woodworking newsgroup gets what he pays for -- and deserves what he gets.
As someone else has pointed out, if your kids are in imminent danger, legalities fly out the window. In the meantime, the advice to check with local police sounds good--although I'd tend to approach it along the lines of "what are my options for dealing with a threatening animal?" rather than "is it okay for me to just blow it away?" Police will certainly provide better advice than you will get here, but still not legal advice--a real lawyer will advise on both criminal and civil risks.

As a Texas resident and a CHL holder I can tell you that regardless of what the local police may say, you better check with a lawyer. Civil law is MUCH nastier in some ways (burden of proof, etc.) than criminal law or local ordinance.
Texas state law generally allows the use of "deadly force" to avoid "serious bodily harm" to yourself or another. The odds that the local law enforcement folks in Texas would gig you for illegally discharging a firearm in their jurisdiction if you met the first hurdle are negligible.
The odds that your neighbor will sue for emotional distress, depravation of companionship (who knows what he did with the dog?), etc are very high.
Never confuse the law with common sense. (Thomas Payne)
In any case, your "trusty" SKS is a BAD choice. It is not trusty (it's a HOS), it fires (if it fires without blowing up) an FMJ round that will put a knitting needle hole in a dog (doesn't stop or kill), and the house behind it and anything in between. Shotgun, #1 buck, as many wild dogs on my property (600 AC) can (or could) attest is the requisite medicine.
WTH is this doing on this NG????? Why am I responding??? Aggggh!

Hence the "shut up" part of the 3 S's, yes.

It depends. I have a 1950 Russian SKS that has never had a problem. Chicom crap, yeah, not so good.

Sorry, not a fair claim. I don't know that the SKS has a reputation for KaBooms.

Winchester, Remington, and several others manufacture a variety of ammo for this caliber. It's about as effective on deer-sized creatures as a .30-30.

I'm a fan of #8 shot, myself, but haven't had to do the dog thing. Works fine on coons, though.

Yeah, I thought for a while I was in misc.rural until I checked the headers. Was confused why someone would bring up firearms ordinances in a rural context. But, most guns have wood stocks, so there ya go.
Paul Brumman wrote:

Ask your local police(town or county), local animal control officer,district attorney, clerk of county court, lawyer in about that order.
Lawyer first if you are intent on getting the dog in question destroyed regardless of its actual threat.
You need to know if you are within a town or rural area as to which police have juristiction.
You need to know the legality of an animal wandering off its owners property. You may be able to get the animal destroyed if it gets picked up by animal control repeatedly.
Unless you wander around with your trusty whatever under your arm it would be more reasonable to get your kids out of the yard and away from the animal and call local authorities.
Shooting your own kid by accident will ruin your whole day .
Some questions that you did not state clearly -
you state you do not like a neighbours dog - why ? does this animal normally wander around your property ? does it have a history of biting people ? have you expressed your concerns to the neighbour ?
It may be that you are reacting to a non-existant or low probability threat.
In my location shooting a dog that has not attacked would probably get you some jail time on firearms, reckless endangerment and animal cruelty charges plus a fine up to about $10,000.

Pretty much correct where I live, as well.
I take it neither the OP nor the dog's owner has a fence or other means to keep the kids from teasing the dog?

OK, I've got a problem with this. Why the FUCK should I have to put up a fence to keep some idiot's dog in HIS yard? And what makes you think the kids are teasing the dog, to make it a threat?
I'm also grateful that I don't live somewhere that would have legal problems as described.

We do have a modest fence (with the gate often unlocked), and no, the kids never tease the dog, they are afraid of that dog. The dog is mean spirited.
Paul