OT dangerous dogs

Page 6 of 10

Upscale wrote:

Hummm, a retired family member was a senior police officer, not a grad entrant to rank mind, worked his way up from cadet, he until recently always said knife and cosh carriers were more inclined to use their weapons then those with guns, now with the spread of the former eastern bloc gangs it doesn't matter, unless you stay safe (whatever that means) you need the means and will and not a little luck...

Que?
This IS a woodworking group. So, the guy should take a wooden basebal bat out, and beat the crap out of the dog. Now that I think on it, a wooden handled pitch fork would probably work even better - hard to get on a guy out doing yard work, and has to protect his kids from a viscious dog.
Remember, when they take our pitch forks away, only criminals will have pitch forks.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

I'm here to tell that a manure fork makes a great argument against an Akita. Happy to say the SOB got some infections, even though I was just fending off, not trying to impale him.
Then my German shepherd came around the corner of the house and literally chewed his ass the 200 feet down the driveway before turning back.

I don't use the word "hate" very often, but I really hate dogs. However, I'd welcome one like your German Shepherd. Is he good at removing the seat of the pants worn by dog owners who don't obey when you ask them to take their "curbed" dog someplace else?

through our marriage, SWMBO and I ought to know. He just doesn't like strange dogs attacking the small one, or me either, I guess. People we go him from called him a "stasi" dog. East German bloodlines. Longer and leaner than the average AKC types, though the AKC recognizes the DVS, which stands for German sheepdog alliance or similar, if my college German is correct.
People tend to calm down when he arrives. Sort of like the years when we had the Borzoi. She was also very large, though well-controlled. The bigger the dog the better they must behave.

Larry is hardly being condescending.

And yet, you prefer to have criminals armed while good people are not. Very strange.
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:31:26 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob

So sorry. I added that statement in case you -weren't- an anti-gun nut.

OK, it's your decision. Enjoy the repercussions since you're living with them!
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!

But I thought British citizens weren't allowed to own guns! How then could this happen? After all, that was the point of disarming the citizenry, wasn't it, to prevent these kinds of violent events from occurring? The fact that they continue to occur kind of points out what a pathetic argument for disarming the citizenry that was. That it happens more in the US has more to do with the facts that, for one thing, the US is larger, and secondly, there are some cultural influences, apart from gun ownership that contribute to that issue. The only thing you've accomplished by disarming your country is to provide a country full of potential victims (sheep) for the wolves to ravage at will.

Perhaps not where you live. In the United States, it is.
--
Regards,

How would you feel about testing voters?
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:09:40 -0500, George wrote:

I dunno' about him, George, but I'm in favor of it. But how do we do it in a fair manner?
And can we test the politicians too?

Or requiring a license to operate a printing press, or practice religion?
Kevin

Isn't it strange that we need a licence or permission for all the trivial things in life yet anyone (even if drunk, mad, convicted murderer etc) can bring children into the world.
alexy (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| || As I have said before, a right can be denied is a privilege. || || Use a gun incorrectly and see how long your right remains intact. | | Cute semantic distinction, but I don't believe it is correct. What | exactly do you think falls in the category of "rights" as you define | the word? Some counter examples for you to ponder (at least making a | distinction between how you want the word to be defined and how | others use it) is the "certain inalienable rights" of life, | liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Since we routinely deny felons | of their liberty and pursuit of happiness, and occasionally of | their lives, I guess our forefathers should have said "certain | privileges" to meet your semantic benchmark?
Alex...
You're quoting from a document that set forth principles - not law. It's the Constitution that attempts to codify those principles and which clearly sets forth that keeping and bearing arms is a *right* which may not be impaired or discontinued (look up /infringe/).
The Declaration of Independence is an interesting legacy. It's more than an old "Up yours!" to King George: It's a statement of philosophy and principles. It's also a quiet trap for those individuals who feel that ordinary persons are unfit to share among themselves the powers of self-government.
The Declaration sets forth, as a matter of principle, conditions necessary and sufficient for replacement of an entire governmental system. Because of this, it's an "orphan" document and has never had legal standing of any kind - not with the Brits, and certainly not within the American government.
Notwithstanding, it's the biggest elephant to ever sit in any corner.
Oh yes, I did allude to a trap aspect didn't I? The trap lies in the obstacle posed to those who would abuse the powers granted them by the Constitution and the citizenry: In order to usurp power, they must first succeed in voiding the principles set forth in that simple one-page document. It's a "soft" trap; but it gives the alarm to every person who, in their heart of hearts, believes in those principles.
Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 11:19pm (EST-3) too_many snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Too_Many_Tools) doth pontificate: <snip> Use a gun incorrectly and see how long your right remains intact.
That sure doesn't apply to cars, otherwise Kennedy wouldn't have a driver's license. As for guns, it only applies to honest citizens, not criminals.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:10:22 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

It is a right, read the constitution.
A right that can and is taken away is a priviledge.
As for reading the Constitution, try reading the so called Patriot Act first.
TMT
Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 11:17pm (EST-3) too_many snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Too_Many_Tools) doth claim: A right that can and is taken away is a priviledge. <snip>
Isn't that fascism?
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.