OT: Craigslist question

Page 2 of 2
On 10/17/2015 2:54 PM, Michael wrote:

Would you pay that much for a workhorse with no legs? That's what it is ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

pricing is a complicated topic i would not pay that
but in the proper catalog it could probably be listed for 7500 and get sold
craigslist is not a high-end sales venue buy it and flip it for 1500 to an architectural designer in nyc
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 2:54:35 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

No, not at all. You can build one, if you buy your lumber at the yard and not a big box store, for not much more than $150.
Before any of you pooh pooh, I have a very solid red oak bench with 5x6 leg s (draw bored) and a 2.5" top (would have gone thicker, but it was as much as I could handle, weight wise - not having a lot of strong backs and weak minds available]) with a wagon vise and leg vise for about that much. I bo ught 150bf of 8/4 red oak and 150bf of 4/4 ash for $332.00 and had about 40 -50bf (and all the ash) of the red oak left over . I got the 1x4" lead scr ew for the leg vise from the Surplus Center (with the nut) and the 1" flang ed bearings and that only cost about $35-40. A hand wheel from Grizzly for less than $10 +s/h finished it off.

Don't know where you get your wood or what species. But when I built mine out of kd 8/4 red oak for the base, and kd 8/4 hard maple for the top, the cost of the wood at the mill was $550.00 . The top is 6' long 30" wide, and 2.5" thick. Plus 2 vises. So $750.00 doesn't sound out of line to me.
On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 6:43:38 PM UTC-5, Dan Kozar wrote:

But look at the legs on that bench. They are small and the cross braces look either poorly done or an after thought.
Besides, who would buy when they can have the fun of building. After all, we are woodworkers, right ?
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 6:50:58 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:

These are my thoughts at the end of the day. I'm going to keep an eye out for some vintage old vices (the kind for woodworking) and go from there.
Thanks for the comments!