OT: Craigslist question

I agree it certainly doesn't look complete and needing the cobbled up 1x tacked to the legs to stiffen it up makes me also think the legs aren't original.

I blew up the image in the browser but by the time could focus on the joint area of the forefront leg behind the vice the image was so blurry couldn't really tell anything useful.

If it were within a handy drive I'd be sorely tempted to make an offer altho agree it needs some adjustment probably to compensate for the legs to make it usable as a bench.

I agree that realistically, the provenance and quality of the top/vices _should_ make it worth that or near it; finding the right buyer in present condition may be a trick...the really nice thing about these benches if wanting it to actually use is you can reflatten the top; it was normal expected maintenance to do so periodically. If one wants it as a museum piece instead, then the patina and all is the value, not the functional ability.

Reply to
dpb

pricing is a complicated topic i would not pay that

but in the proper catalog it could probably be listed for 7500 and get sold

craigslist is not a high-end sales venue buy it and flip it for 1500 to an architectural designer in nyc

Reply to
Electric Comet

No, not at all. You can build one, if you buy your lumber at the yard and not a big box store, for not much more than $150.

Before any of you pooh pooh, I have a very solid red oak bench with 5x6 leg s (draw bored) and a 2.5" top (would have gone thicker, but it was as much as I could handle, weight wise - not having a lot of strong backs and weak minds available]) with a wagon vise and leg vise for about that much. I bo ught 150bf of 8/4 red oak and 150bf of 4/4 ash for $332.00 and had about 40

-50bf (and all the ash) of the red oak left over . I got the 1x4" lead scr ew for the leg vise from the Surplus Center (with the nut) and the 1" flang ed bearings and that only cost about $35-40. A hand wheel from Grizzly for less than $10 +s/h finished it off.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Don't know where you get your wood or what species. But when I built mine out of kd 8/4 red oak for the base, and kd 8/4 hard maple for the top, the cost of the wood at the mill was $550.00 . The top is 6' long

30" wide, and 2.5" thick. Plus 2 vises. So $750.00 doesn't sound out of line to me.
Reply to
Dan Kozar

But look at the legs on that bench. They are small and the cross braces look either poorly done or an after thought.

Besides, who would buy when they can have the fun of building. After all, we are woodworkers, right ?

Reply to
Dr. Deb

But look at the legs on that bench. They are small and the cross braces look either poorly done or an after thought.

Besides, who would buy when they can have the fun of building. After all, we are woodworkers, right ?

Reply to
Dr. Deb

These are my thoughts at the end of the day. I'm going to keep an eye out for some vintage old vices (the kind for woodworking) and go from there.

Thanks for the comments!

Reply to
Michael