OT: Comcast

Page 1 of 3
I ordered a cell phone today (yes, this was a hurdle--but the hurdle seemed lower after I found out I was going to get 1 year's service and 1200 minutes with it for $99).
I'm looking forward to calling Comcast soon and cancelling 2/3 of my "Triple Play". That should help get that monthly bill in check!
I'm not sure how we'll get by without the cable, but we will adapt, somehow! Maybe some of you were hoping I might cancel my Internet access while I was at it, but I'm sticking around! : )
Bill
On 9/16/2012 6:49 PM, Bill wrote:

Ever since they converted the cable to digital transmission we have not had cable TV. Do we miss it? Sometimes, but a couple of weeks ago we spent three days in a motel in the mountains. In those three days there was nothing on the cable.
If you get a antenna and connect it to your TV, you will get TV. They all broadcast digitally over the air. Most major network stations have 2 to 4 side channels.

It depends on what area you're in as to just how good of TV you'll get. My antenna right now is a piece of 300-ohm cable cut to length and wedged between the suspended ceiling panel and track. Works great if you're close enough to the transmitters.
The only way I could watch Norm, Roy, Tommy, and Scott (The American Woodshop) is by putting up the antenna and watching it on the PBS sub-channel. I seriously doubt the dish companies will add local sub-channels any time soon. (I don't know about cable... haven't had it for almost 5 years.)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 9/16/2012 8:31 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

With Digital you either get it or you don't, there is no in between. If you get it there is a good picture. However this can be a problem, with analog, you could follow bad stations by watching the fuzzy picture, with digital the picture cuts out and you can not follow the story
The biggest drawback to digital is that sometimes the video and the voice get out of sync
On 9/16/2012 7:52 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

That is not true! With some stations I get just as bad reception with HD as analog, often with lots of pixilization.
If

That is a 50/50 chance in being correct.
However this can be a problem, with

That is true also.

That tends to be a DVR problem when watching live TV. MY cure was to change channels and switch back. No that the software and equipment is better I seldom have this problem any more. I have not yet witnessed this when watching HD coming straight in from an antenna, over the air.
On 9/17/2012 9:06 AM, Leon wrote:

There is no DVR are the system, so the problem with the sync is coming from the broad cast station. Again without a DVR is the system at my end I have seen the same gross sync problems on cable.
Mike Marlow wrote:

It aall depneds on how close you live to the transmitter, how big of an antenna you have and whether or not you are using a signal booster (20+DB range). We used to regularly watch stations 90 miles away, now we can barely get stations that are 30 miles away, and that is with the same setup (ie. big antenna and signal booster. Though the antenna is about to get an upgrade, and then we will see if things improve. As it is, as usual, Congress did us no favors.)
Deb
"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:

It aall depneds on how close you live to the transmitter, how big of an antenna you have and whether or not you are using a signal booster (20+DB range). We used to regularly watch stations 90 miles away, now we can barely get stations that are 30 miles away, and that is with the same setup (ie. big antenna and signal booster. Though the antenna is about to get an upgrade, and then we will see if things improve. As it is, as usual, Congress did us no favors.) =========================================================================If you are using the same antenna, there's your problem.
On 9/16/2012 9:22 PM, CW wrote:

Make no mistake in thinking that you can't use the same antenna. My sister used their same "new" analog antenna for years with great reception. The condition of the antenna tends to have an effect on reception. Their now old antenna deteriorated in the weather and reception suffered. Replacing with new again solved the problem.
"Leon" wrote in message

Make no mistake in thinking that you can't use the same antenna. My sister used their same "new" analog antenna for years with great reception. The condition of the antenna tends to have an effect on reception. Their now old antenna deteriorated in the weather and reception suffered. Replacing with new again solved the problem. ====================================================================Turns out, a lot of places use the same VHF channels as they did on analog for their digital transmissions. Around here (Seattle area), the digital channels are on UHF requiring a different antenna.
On 9/17/2012 10:51 PM, CW wrote:

Hummmmm Good to know.
Are your channel numbers the same?
"Leon" wrote in message
On 9/17/2012 10:51 PM, CW wrote:

Hummmmm Good to know.
Are your channel numbers the same? ==========================================================================Not for the digital channels. They still transmit the analog signal as well as the digital. The analog are on the same VHF channels they always were. The digital are on UHF. I haven't watched over the air TV in years. I have had satellite since the time when you had to buy your own equipment. Actually, if it were up to me, I wouldn't even own one but the wife thinks otherwise. Since it is available, I do watch 2 to 4 hours a week, depending on what's on.
"Keith Nuttle" wrote:
..... , but a couple of weeks ago we

---------------------------------------- Watching TV in a motel during a three day stay in the mountains?<G>
Interesting.
Lew

I don't have History 2, but the ole History channel is now all Pawn Stars and Swamp Peeple.... hasn't been any history on the history channel for about 5 years now.
--
EA

> --

That's what I pay for my Tracfone annually. I still have 2,197 minutes (they roll over with uninterrupted contracts) left with 43 days to go on the annual connection contract.

You'll find time to actually read some good -books-, and you'll have time to get all your projects done, that's how. DAMHIKT. I'm reading _The Apocalypse Troll_ by David Weber right now and one of the new words a lady from the future had to share with the protagonist was "noises". It is their nickname for "reporters, newscasters, etc." I LOVE that word for them. It's so precisely fitting, oui?

Rats. ;)
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide

I read both fiction (sci-fi primarily) and non-fiction, mostly science related but occasionally outside the (carved) box. ;-)
I love carving, especially chip carving. I tried Moor's knives, along with a few others, and finally found a set of Barton's knives on eBay, cheap. Glad I did because they are the best. More comfortable in my hand and they help me to keep that angle in a natural way.
Met Barton a few times at the Artistry in Wood show. Real nice guy. Always making something up for the kids and always willing to shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

Ha! I've got too many projects lined up, so I know the feeling. Glad you have income to feed your hobbies. :-)
On 9/17/2012 12:16 PM, Casper wrote:

It seems like Moor made an effort to shape his in a way that would help provide *consistency*--he say's after an hour's use. How do Barton's measure-up in that regard?
I'm going to a woodcarving show in November and hope to be able to get my hands on both for a comparison--especially since reading your comments, since I was leaning towards Moor's.
Bill

That may be true but I prefer Barton's, as do most of the other chip carvers in my guild. Everyone seems to prefer Barton's knives but not necissarily his books. I find the knives very comfortable.

Good idea to try before you buy. I did with a few of my guild mates who were kind enough to let me test out their tools.
I am looking forward to the Artistry in Wood show in November in Ohio. Huge show, tons of artists, sellers and seminars. Exhausting to do in one day but worth it. Like a kid in a candy store. lol! `Casper
Casper wrote:

If you mean the one in Dayton on the 17th, I hope to be there! I've heard it's rather amazing.
Bill wrote:

Sorry, I double-checked and it's on the 10th, not the 17th. Looking forward! : )