OT: Colbert Explains Hannity's "Liberty Tree" Video

Page 4 of 4

He was an amazing person. Too bad I had to be a teenager and young man and thought everything he did or said was stupid for so long. It wasn't until I was seriously in my late 20s that I really saw him for what he was. We lost him whenever I just turned 39...10-12 years just wasn't long enough to soak up that much knowledge. Even though touchy- feely was not in our vocabulary, I was able to truthfully tell him that I thought he was the smartest person I had ever met in my life.
He was always a tad bitter about not being able to really cash in on all the things he did at work and, moreso, pissed that people passed him by just because they had a degree but he could outhink them any day. I think if life hadn't thrown him the curves when it did, he would have had the guts to strike out on his own and could have really cashed in on some of those patents. I really believe that bitterness kept him from really enjoying the accomplishments he made and surely kept him from talking about them because he would just end up being angry.
On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:28:04 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
We should not bother to send our children to college?
Regards,

Did I say that? I don't think I did. There were just some remarks that I took as meaning people who go to college are smarter and have more common sense than those people who don't. That ain't necessarily true. I have met some absolutely brilliant people during my IT career who are, at the same time, dumb as a stump--one guy, and I am serious, couldn't tie his shoes, but if you let him loose to work on the internals of an IMS database like nobody else people around him have ever seen. He could do what nobody else could ever imagine (of course, it helped that he worked at IBM as a designer of IMS). His biggest problem was that all he oculd do was work on the internals of an IMS database.
By all means, send your children to college but make sure they don't get sucked into thinking so high that they start to develop circular reasoning and then end up not functioning in this world. Like I said, I have a couple cousins who fall into that boat.

Yeah, or else they may end up as obscenely overpaid CEO's who walk around 100% of the time an attitude of entitlement, but contribute nothing else.
Alternatively, they may end up like Tim Daneliuk who is highly intelligent, but contributes nothing, gives nothing back and spends his whole day whining about how the system is costing him.

By the way, this is a tough question.
If India and China and Russia produce capable, college-educated people who are willing to work for 1/10th of what we need to survive on in this country, is college really worth it here? Education costs are rising incredibly fast but the payoff isn't there anymore.
I am not saying we should not have our kids go to college; I am using the aforementioned circular reasoning to ask if it truly is worth it financially speaking?
I guess I am saying something needs to be done to right the ship because medium and large companies scour the earth now for slave labor it seems. Plus the huge deficits that were started by the last Administration and continued even worse with the current one makes me extremely fearful for my children and grandchildren and even further.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:dx

Yabut you are saying it to idiots like your two cousins. Men like your father don't need it said.
--
Jack
Go Penns!