OT: Colbert Explains Hannity's "Liberty Tree" Video

Your numbers are off. It's the 80/20 rule and it's a normally distributed population.

Did you ever notice that everyone thinks that the majority of people are stupid but they never include themselves in that majority?

RicodJour

ill. A *competent* plumber is similarly useful when your exterior sewer pipe snaps at the building entrance (DAMHIKT). There is no shame in working with either hands or head (or both), but we're responding to your earlier question: Can intelligence and education be inversely proportional? The answer is an emphatic yes, the *can*, and these days, often are.

I was educated both in the academy and at the end of the boot of some tough working guys in the trades. Each had its merits. The tradesmen taught me a work ethic. The academics taught me how to think abstractly. Among the academics, the scientists, philosophers, mathematicians, and theologians were my most compelling professors (with the theologians being far and away the broadest and smartest of the bunch). The professional educators were the worst of the bunch. By observation, a lot of the academics in the fuzzy studies (sociology, clinical psychology, hyphenated Americanism, revisionist History, and so on) were nothing more than political drones doing no real research and teaching nothing of note. They more-or-less just mounted a nonstop assault on truth, beauty, learning, and knowledge. The various "theory" schools also did their part (deconstructionism, post-modernism, post-structuralism). The best way I can think of to clean the mess up in the modern academy is to remove all public funding from them. Parents will be disinclined to pay several thousands of dollars for a course in Post-Structuralist Feminist Theory or Amerikkka The Agressor, and other similar "classes" (speaking of sewers ...)

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

That is not how I phrased the question.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Have noticed that. You trying to make some kind of point? Have you noticed that most cultures dislike the French?

Reply to
evodawg

Educated or not .. I've NEVER seen anyone from the left challenge Rush, Shaun, O'Reilly, or Newt to a debate. Newt & Rush are probably two of the smartest & wisest students of politics we've ever seen.

Reply to
"<<<

Hey! Just because it was way over your head which apparently is why you describe it to be foolish, useless and anti intellectual drivel, does not mean that those that did understand the course did not gain knowledge from it.

Actually it does.

nor does it equal wisdom, insight, thoughtfulness, discernment, or truth.

That is correct.

This is all the more the case

I believe that because you do not know the definitions of some of the words that you mentioned above that most of what you have just said is drivel.

Reply to
Leon

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

As my departed mother told me when I was about 10 years old, "Son, if you insist on playing with chicken shit, you are bound to get some on you."

Seems to fit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Astounding!

Reply to
Robatoy

Ach naturlich, das Hahnensheisse Fable.

Hannity still hasn't raised a nickel with his "Waterboarding For Charity" campaign. He wouldn't be Y E L L O W, would he?

Reply to
Robatoy

On Tue, 12 May 2009 12:54:38 -0600, Steve Turner wrote (in article ):

Higher education, at a minimum, just means you can be trained.

-BR

Reply to
Bruce

Funny, no one thought it was "over my head" nor that I didn't understand the words I used when I was teaching grad school ... I guess you know better...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Newt is legitimately a historian. Rush is ... mildly entertaining, and certainly not wise or smart (and I sometimes even agree with him).

You want "wise" or "smart", you read Locke, Jefferson, Sam/John Adams, Van Hayek, Rand, Heinlein ....

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

I don't usually get into these conversations but my father never had the money nor the time to go to college but he taught himself drafting and calculus and physics and many aspects of mechanical engineering. He went on to get seven patents for devices still used today in both blast furnaces and coke ovens. He could build or make anything, many times making parts for tractors or cars or whatever that were better than the originals. And he even had, *gasp*, common sense.

I have two cousins, on the other hand, who went to college and received extremely good grades. You could ask one of them to find a sentence in a huge textbook and he could almost turn to the exact page in the first try. Neither could hold a job as they did not have the intelligence to apply what they learned and neither has an ounce of common sense.

I have run into many examples like these in my 30+ years in IT--an industry where higher education is expected but some of the best were never good students and some did not even have a four-year college degree.

I think that is what some people are trying to say.

Reply to
busbus

Well I think I know where you are going with that statement however I have seen plenty with a higher education that could not be trained.

IMHO a higher education simply means you are more educated, that does not mean that you have the wisdom to apply what you have learned.

Reply to
Leon

Let me start of by saying that I am not at all left. If there were no person or persons on the left that were not up to the challenge of any of those you mentioned, there would not be any point for those you mentioned to be on radio. Those you mentioned seem to get in to some kind of lather just talking to the common folk. These guys are simply entertainers.

Reply to
Leon

Not always. I find them rather boring at times

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Your experiences are an almost exact parallel to my own. Very well said; thank you.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Nor is higher education a prerequisite for being intelligent and wise.

Reply to
Steve Turner