i-player connection

Nearly on topic:-)

Following a recent visit from an old school friend of my wife, questions are being asked why we don't have access to BBC i-player on our lounge Panasonic TV. (has hdmi input)

Amazon firesticks/Alexa were mentioned:-(

I think the idea is that it would avoid setting the recorder for BBC programs.

The set is within range of wi-fi from the router.

What are the likely issues? Download rate here is around 13Mb

The operator is not gadget competent!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

IMHO, easiest way is likely to get a modern PVR. That will record in the normal way and also give access to all the online services. Including going backwards on the EPG and just clicking on the prog you want (if fairly recent) Much easier than finding it on the BBC etc site.

That's how I did it for my brother, with an older TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Tim Lamb submitted this idea :

The Firestick/cube/or etc. turn a Tv with an HDMI input, into Smart TV. So yes you get access to iplayer, ITV hub, My 5 and so on, plus Prime and several other subscribe and free services.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

What model is it? They have had some smart capabilities for nearly 5 years now. The browser is a bit crap (can't play certain modern stuff) but the iPlayer does behave reasonably well if you have enough internet bandwidth to support the programme content.

If you are a technophobe you might find Apple TV slightly easier to get to grips with. I'd leave it until after Xmas and get an HD one when they are deep discounted in the January sales. Unlikely that a TV old enough not to contain smart systems is going to be QD.

First things first does it have an ethernet socket on the back? Do the setup menus have any mention of network settings?

Yet another remote controller on the coffee table.

More than enough to stream full HD. I could just about do it on a 5M connection but with the odd glitch. Now I have 100x that bandwidth.

Choose wisely then. A bare bones DIY Linux system may not be ideal. (though I expect some here will advocate that almost free solution)

Reply to
Martin Brown

This is a traditional rather than "smart" TV one presumes?

One of many options to add smarts to TVs either dumb from the start or rendered that way through upgrades to software they can't support etc.

ok

That ought to be more than enough for any of the HD streaming services including iPlayer. There is a table of typical data rates required for various services here:

So the best option would be a smart box / "dongle" with its own remote control that can replace the current one. The TV can then becomes in effect a monitor with sound, and stays glued to a HDMI input unless watching something from broadcast.

Choices include the various Amazon Fire Sticks and Cubes. Roku streaming boxes (although I did here there might be an upcoming problem with youtube on those). Apple TV, Chromecast with Google TV, the nVidea Shield TV.

Or if you have a games console like xbox, playstation etc, then those work as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its it a smart TV?

Has the Wifi been set up?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But is it a 'smart tv' - ie can you connect it to the internet in its own right? If not then you would need to get an extra for it such as one of those mention oryou could buy a modern pvr with the 'smart' technology built in and so you could either record or watch via the apps on catch-up according to personal preference.

OR you could bit the bullet and buy a new 'smart' tv for those who want one and use your old TV and recorder for yourself.

If its not you who is the operator then suggest to the operator that as they are the one driving the demand they are the ones to become proficient in whatever option is chosen - - - - then run and hide.

Reply to
Bev

Panasonic TX-L37E5B has provision for 4 HDMI inputs, SD card, AV1, and Ethernet. 2x USB outlets.

OK Should be enough but I occasionally get Buffering on Netflix.

There was a hint upthread that a modern recorder (which she may understand) could also do the i-player bit. Possible way out of the usual Christmas pressie issue!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Panasonic TX-L37E5B (does have network service capability but the instructions could be in Greek for my understanding!)

Yes. See above

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Sounds like my level of competence plus potentially solving the upcoming prezzie issue.

My own TV is smart and has a wired connection. We don't watch the same programs hence two TVs:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Er. fairly.

Not for the TV. Works OK for various mobile tackle and the radio.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Mostly covered above but I quite like the run and hide concept:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Get a Humax PVR, though probably not their latest Aura machine. The earlier 5000 model should be fine. When connected to the TV it takes over all the terrestrial tuning, channel changes and volume. Juts use the Panny remote for fine twiddling. It will have iPlayer access too.

Some folks swear by Topfield. I have had 2 Humaxes and they have both been utterly failsafe.

Reply to
Andrew

OK Andrew. John Lewis have 4 in stock at £199! My Toppy has a broken tuner switching transistor so I can take over her old Humax:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I had (still have but normally unused as we switched to Linux/OpenVix Satellite boxes) the Humax 4000. Lots of little "features" that make navigation annoying, but Humax won't fix and a slow, laggy interface. I have heard that the 5000 is far better though.

With both the 4000 and 5000, you can also use a Humax H3, if you want to add, say a TV in the kitchen, running off the main box.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Give it an internet connection and all will (probably) become clear.

Basically you click on the "Internet" button on the remote to get started. On a wired connection there is a good chance it will automagically acquire an IP address and just work.

OK then your simplest option is ethernet over powerline starter kit about £50 from any branch of Curry's or marginally cheaper from Amazon.

The interface to the browser is clunky but if you TV has a spare USB socket you can add a wireless keyboard touchpad combo for not much.

I think you can get away with accepting all the defaults and it will work. So long since I last did it that it is hard to recall.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I have no experience of the 4000. I do of the Humax FVP-5000T and I find that infuriatingly slow (and its functions a step or 3 backwards from the 9200). But it's kept 'er indoors happy for the past few years (mainly for recording but also occasionally for the catch-up services). And it is a relatively easy transition from other PVRs.

Reply to
Robin

So no wifi then.

I think its broadly similar to mine. You need an ethernet cable into the router, or IIRC a USB wifi adapter that is compatible,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

HDMI Connection : 4 Wi-Fi Ready : Via Dongle <=== Ready, my ass USB Port : 2

Wireless LAN

The following Panasonic wireless LAN adaptor can be used with your TV. Maker Model Number Panasonic TY-WL20E

(

)

It appears to be an 802.11n at best. An Edimax version (Rpi fame) would have cost buttons.

While there are dongles using the same chipset, some chipsets support custom PNP info. By connecting an eight pin dip, via serial bus, to the main chip, the main chip becomes "Panasonic" branded instead of "Atheros" (the real maker) branded. Companies like Atheros fully support such moves, as it means increased sales for them. And Panasonic doesn't have to make their own chip, when they can "stamp" the chip of another maker. The only person who loses, is the consumer.

If Panasonic really wanted you to have Wifi, there would be one in the box.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Indeed. I thought I had provided ample wired outlets while the house walls were accessible. TV connections were limited to aerial and power:-( There might be a route into the attic and back down through a cupboard...

Reply to
Tim Lamb