i-player connection

You mean your aerial cables don't run to faceplates either? Shheeesh!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I should have made clear I had mind Tim buying a pre-terminated patch cable if it's not convenient to fit a new back box. One can get 15m Cat6 for £6 or so.

Reply to
Robin

No, I meant (a) there was an aerial cable to a faceplate, (b) the user wanted Ethernet added, (c) the plaster was only held on by the wallpaper but (d) there was conduit to the aerial faceplate so I could run flexible Cat5 with the aerial cable out of a brush faceplate.

I'm open to learning so what would you have done that's better?

Reply to
Robin

Indeed. However I have ordered a 10m Ethernet cable to try out the system. My experience and tools is limited to connecting up wall plates. I doubt temper and eyesight will permit terminating rj45 plugs with no proper equipment.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Promised for Tuesday without prime:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

you can buy a plastic punchdown tool for peanuts. that and some sidectters is all you need for one por two plates.

even a proper krone style tool is less than a fiver

The socket is similar

Then you buy patch leads. No one in their right mind makes up an RJ45 plug!

Its almost impossible to terminate a plug on CAT5 reliably - either you end up threading a massive pre-made extension patch lead or you do the job properly with two patch leads and two faceplates and two backing boxes and a length of solid core CAT5.

I've still got 20 meters odd somewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd have stuck another box next to the aerial, and run solid cat 5 to that a proper faceplate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got plenty of cable from the original house install and the punch down tool. I don't have the faceplates, back boxes or short patch leads. For £10 and no effort on my part, I can trial a temporary fix before clambering into the loft:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Oh, ok. If you want to prove it works. It *will* work, but there is a problem of trust in my judgement there ;-)

In any case an ethernet to where any TV exists is a plan, anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My willingness to help a neighbour stopped short of plastering and redecorating.

Reply to
Robin

The *trial* bit is more to do with whether the user is able to learn/understand and operate the new set up. After 2 years she has just about gripped the concept that the TV does not work if the PVR is not switched on (single aerial connection).

Indeed. Why didn't you tell me this 3 years ago?:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You never asked, guv!

I wired my house with cat 5 everywhere, and still it wasn't enough!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Dave N

I feel your pain.... I have 60 ethernet wall sockets and 60 co-ax sockets and its still not enough!

Reply to
SH

How so?

You just put one of the many redundant spare routers into WAN mode and get another 3 or 4 ethernet connectors in the room (and/or wifi).

I have just one hardwired high speed link from my main router to the back of the TV and radio. There a Wifi rebroadcaster in one of its most obscure modes to create a second Wifi environment (different SSID) and passes through the wired ethernet feed to the TV.

One of these - not bad for £18 - works out of the box in noddy mode.

Mine was a white previous version. It will work out of the box but you only have half the effective bandwidth in its simple repeater mode. Manual is in Chinglish translated via Klingon.

Took me many multiple goes to get it configured exactly right in its advanced pass through mode since once configured you can no longer get to its config screen again. You have to factory reset and start again from scratch. Not surprisingly it either works or it doesn't.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In the 2 rooms where I've a need for several ethernet connections I just use a switch. Just something basic like:

NETGEAR 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged GS305 Switch

Reply to
RJH

not if you want to have separate sub-nets unless your switch supporta vlans......

Pplus you're left with a total aggregate 1 Gbit/s link if you use one cable instead of say 4 ethernet cables and LAGG...

Reply to
SH

Snip

Progress so far.

TV software updated. Lan cable connected (TV off) and router reset.

Going through the network set up for a wired connection.. I'm OK until I get to Proxy settings. Language issue!

I think the port is 80

Panasonic refer to Host but I am not clear who this is. My router ref. card for wi-fi gives Sagemcom and a series of letters also the password which is used for phones etc.

I also have the router address http://etc. and a password for that. There is no forward slash provision on the TV screen entry pad so what do they want?

I have my homegroup password but have no plans to display anything from the office to the lounge at the other end of the house!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I hesitate to jump in but...why are you seeking to set addresses and proxies at this stage rather than just letting the TV get an address assigned automatically by the router with the proxy settings blank? Getting that working means you can move on to more complicated things knowing that the basics are OK.

Reply to
Robin

No proxy should be needed

It would be 8080 if there was a proxy,

If you are using a wired connection nothing to do with wifi is relevant

Just set it up for DHCP (obtain address automatically) and set proxy to none. That is ALL you should need to do

When you get a browser up there will be an onscreen keypad.

All irrelevant

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher