Ceiling lights.

Looking for low profile ceiling lamps. Wondered about these:

Specifically black frame 18w. They seem to contain a lot of individual LEDs not a "bulb". I wonder whether these are any good and whether 6 would be sufficient for my shed/storage/workshop 6m x 5m.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They don't mention the total light output. Just lumens per watt - and only for cold white. And they claim 90 lumens per watt - IMHO rather high for a cheap fitting that uses multiple LEDs. 'Cold' - ie blueish - LEDs tend to be more efficient than warm white (tungsten) but would be horrid in a workshop.

For comparison.

An ordinary 100w tungsten will give about 1800 lumens of broad spectrum light.

100w halogen up to about 2400, and is slightly closer to daylight.

If they are cheap, buy one and see. But if cheap, don't expect a decent life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

But much better for seeing things in a "workshop" rather than viewing under that horrid tungsten orange lighting,

100 lumens per watt for LED panels (and LED battens) is not uncommon and the multiple LEDs are often bolted to a large metal base acting as a heat sink in the round panels.
Reply to
alan_m

FWIW, I bought some similar looking lights from an Amazon seller. Three out of four failed within weeks. I got my money back, but no compensation for the work involved in removing them and fitting replacements.

I bought these to replace them, and they have worked well for the last year.

GB

I have just installed a couple of V-Tac LED strip lights in my garage, they are 120 lumens/watt and use lots of little LEDs. They claim the same lumens/watt for all three colour temperatures. I've gone for the coolest light and I really like it in the garage/workshop.

Reply to
Chris Green

You want to be careful with LEDs in workshops. They can make rotating and moving things look still.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I thought that was a specifically fluorescent problem.

Reply to
Chris Green

I certainly thought that decent LED lights rectify and smooth the supply, so there is no stroboscopic effect.

Fluorescents, without high frequency electronics, certainly are a problem.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ah - OK. The spec on the site was a bit limited. As if they had something to hide.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Like I said, be careful. Especially LEDs with dimmers.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

By the way CPC seem about the cheapest for these, especially if you can find them in one of their 'money off' catalogues.

Reply to
Chris Green