ceiling lights

I admit I havent a clue about wiring. I just replace a light fitting by copying the wiring on the light I am replacing. I have replaced a few 3 way spotlight lights and normally it is just a case of putting the live and neutral in the same place as the old lighting. The ceiling usually has an earth wire coming down which I attach to the light frame with a securing screw. But on the new light I am putting up the live and neutral are simple but the earth from the ceiling comes down in a loop and goes back into the ceiling without touching the lighting. The new light I am putting up has an earth wire already attached to the frame. What do I do about this earth wire? Do I attach it to the earth from the ceiling ? This means of course that the old light I took down wasnt attached to the ceiling earth

Reply to
tomm

I can't see why not. Does the earth loop terminate in a terminal block?, if so, then you just need to connect the wire from the light fitting to that. Some light fittings (all plastic) don't usually have an earth connection. Depending how old a fitting is, many didn't have an earth connection to / from the fitting, although it's probably mandatory to do so now.

Roger

Reply to
romic