OT: Colbert Explains Hannity's "Liberty Tree" Video

Page 3 of 4
Regards,
✖
""<<<__ Bøb __>>>"" wrote:

As my departed mother told me when I was about 10 years old, "Son, if you insist on playing with chicken shit, you are bound to get some on you."
Seems to fit.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Ach naturlich, das Hahnensheisse Fable.
Hannity still hasn't raised a nickel with his "Waterboarding For Charity" campaign. He wouldn't be Y E L L O W, would he?
Add pictures here
✖

Astounding!
Add pictures here
✖
<<<__ Bøb __>>> wrote:

Newt is legitimately a historian. Rush is ... mildly entertaining, and certainly not wise or smart (and I sometimes even agree with him).
You want "wise" or "smart", you read Locke, Jefferson, Sam/John Adams, Van Hayek, Rand, Heinlein ....
✖

Let me start of by saying that I am not at all left. If there were no person or persons on the left that were not up to the challenge of any of those you mentioned, there would not be any point for those you mentioned to be on radio. Those you mentioned seem to get in to some kind of lather just talking to the common folk. These guys are simply entertainers.
Add pictures here
✖

Not always. I find them rather boring at times

Add pictures here
✖
"sweet sawdust" wrote:

As in with every breath you take.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

True. I don't know if anyone has challenged any of them to debates, but from the "talks" that I've seen, the primary answer from all but Gingrich is to get in the responder's face, scream and spray spit. Why on earth would you try to debate someone like that? Kick them in the nuts, yes. Debate, no.
And I'd prefer not to be included in the "we" that considers Limbaugh, Hanritty and O'Reilly as some of the smartest and wisest students of politics.
Add pictures here
✖

the money nor the time to go to college but he taught himself drafting and calculus and physics and many aspects of mechanical engineering. He went on to get seven patents for devices still used today in both blast furnaces and coke ovens. He could build or make anything, many times making parts for tractors or cars or whatever that were better than the originals. And he even had, *gasp*, common sense.
I have two cousins, on the other hand, who went to college and received extremely good grades. You could ask one of them to find a sentence in a huge textbook and he could almost turn to the exact page in the first try. Neither could hold a job as they did not have the intelligence to apply what they learned and neither has an ounce of common sense.
I have run into many examples like these in my 30+ years in IT--an industry where higher education is expected but some of the best were never good students and some did not even have a four-year college degree.
I think that is what some people are trying to say.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Your experiences are an almost exact parallel to my own. Very well said; thank you.
✖
blast furnaces and coke ovens. =================================== Having spent some time in the steel mills of this country, including coke plants (If God ever decides to give the world an enema, he stick the hose in a coke plant) and blast furnaces, just curious what devices did your father get patented.
BTW, are there any basic mills still in operation these days?
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Lew,
My father did not like to talk about those achievements. I think he was secretly pissed off that even though he received patents for the things he designed, they were the property of Koppers, Inc and he never got much because of them beside a nice dinner and an award. No monetary kickbacks at all. During his tenture there, he saw people pass him up financally and professionally simply because they had the college degree that always eluded him.
His family did not have any money at all to send him to college back inthe early-50's and his father was dying of cancer, so he just plodded away helping them as much as he could. He got married, had five kids, lost two, and toiled all day at work and came home to tend 20 acres where he supplemented his income by growing fruit and vegetables to sell. He neither had the time nor the money to continue college but that was life.
All I know is he invented the rail and cart mechanisim that dumped the coal and whatnot into a coke oven but that is all I really know because, like I said, he never talked about it. And I can't ask him about it because he died ten years ago and didn't even want to talk about it then. All I know is my mother has seven plastic cubes with old silver dollars in them with a plaque that more-or-less says "In Recognition Of Work Performed..."
I wish I could say more than that.
Whenever I left USX in 1999, the Fairless Works was still pouring molten steel from ladles but I think that plant has since closed. The closest plant I know of is the USS Gary Works but it is not so basic anymore.
Add pictures here
✖
===================================Whenever I left USX in 1999, the Fairless Works was still pouring molten steel from ladles but I think that plant has since closed. The closest plant I know of is the USS Gary Works but it is not so basic anymore. ================================= The last blast furnace in Cleveland was dismantled in 2004-2005 time frame and had been out of service prior to that for some time.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

I am curious again, so I will try to ask my mother. Thing is, she went to all those dinners and never knew what they were talking about. I grew up in the era where if the old man didn't want to talk about something, you sure as hell didn't ask. I ventured the question a couple times over the years but I was met with eriee silence each time. Who knows? Maybe she has some documents someplace. I think I recal asking her about this after she moved out of the house after my dad died and she said she had no clue and if there were any documents, she had no clue as to where they would be.
I remember him gong to Cleveland a lot in the late-60's early-70's.
Add pictures here
✖
============================I remember him gong to Cleveland a lot in the late-60's early-70's. ================================ At that point in time USX was gone; however, Republic was on one side of the river, J&L (Later to become LTV) was on the other.
Not sure what is left today.
Haven't sailed on Lake Erie in 20 years, so don't have a clue if any of the ore boat fleets are left, but without an integrated mill to feed, there is little need for ore to be brought down from the U/P, thus little need for ore boats.
Lew .
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks to Old Man Scalon, I got a link to search patents in Google and I have found some. His name was Ray Kinzler and he worked at Koppers in the 60s and 70s. I found many more than seven...now I wonder which ones he got those seven awards for? I may need to see the dates on them and match them to the dates on these patents.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=dTQwAAAAEBAJ&dq=koppers+kinzler
http://www.google.com/patents?id=COMyAAAAEBAJ&dq=koppers+kinzler
http://www.google.com/patents?id=g2YzAAAAEBAJ&dq=koppers+kinzler
http://www.google.com/patents?id=F_w6AAAAEBAJ&dq=koppers+kinzler
http://www.google.com/patents?id=cyQ8AAAAEBAJ&dq=koppers+kinzler
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Gms4AAAAEBAJ&dq=koppers+kinzler
http://www.google.com/patents?id=nZI1AAAAEBAJ&dq=koppers+kinzler
Add pictures here
✖
===================================His name was Ray Kinzler and he worked at Koppers in the 60s and 70s. ================================= My dad worked for Koppers for a short time in Orrville, OH, also home of Smuckers.
As I remember that was where they made the "sheep dip" to treat the bottom of wooden poles.
Nasty stuff, but that was long before EPA.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Wow, I remember that stuff, too!!
My dad used to buy a lot of paint from Koppers. We painted our basement floor with some sort of red primer. I was a little guy back then and I damn near died in there from the fumes. I was actually puking after several hours in there. And I remember he painted the corrogated garage roof with something call Rust Penetrating Primer that also stunk up a storm. he then applied several coats of aqua- colored paint that Koppers used to make to paint swimming pools with (he got some sort of good price on it!). He built that garage in 1968 and we moved out of the house in 1978. In fact, we sold the house to his sister who has the two cousins I talked about earlier!! They still have never had to put another coat of pain on the roof. It is a little faded but it has not worn off one bit.
Whatever was in that paint may have made you sick but it really lasts!!!!
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Looks like your dad was a very talented individual. Very impressive diagrams! It is to bad he didn't benefit fully from his vision.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"