OT as Hell - Sam's Club

Page 3 of 4

You have to check out how they mean by "in bulk". I've noticed that "Sams Club" sell the large containers while another club "BJ's" sells multi-packs (many containers like you'd buy in the store, in one wrapper)
NJBrad
On 13 Jul 2004 23:50:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

My membership is free via a credit union.
We buy specific stuff there, like jugs of cut fresh fruit, Mobil 1, contact lens solution, etc... Usually, I try to stay out of there, because I try to shop anywhere but Wal-Mart. I try whenever possible to shop in locally owned businesses.
FWIW, I've seen stuff that both Sam's and Wal-Mart carry selling for less in Wal-Mart.
Barry
Barry notes:

Another note on Wal-Mart: frequently, twofers sell for more than you'd spend buying two singles of an item. Recently, I've noticed that acetaminophin with two 100 tab bottles in the pack sells for about 14 cents more than two single packs; last week, Coke 24 packs were on sale, for a buck more than two 12 packs.
This is marketing in its finest hour. Over the years, we've been educated to believe that buying larger packs saves money.
Today, you'd damned well better check, because it may well cost you considerably more.
Charlie Self "When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight D. Eisenhower

I'm a warehouse junkie, I have both Sam's and Costco memberships. Sam's gasoline is consistently 5 cents cheaper than other gas stations in the area. My wife swears that the bulk laundry detergents and bleaches are diluted.
Gary
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) writes:

Well... we've been members for several years now... and i think we make up the membership in gas prices (3-7 cents cheaper * 12 gallons * 2 cars * 20 fillups/year = 14.40-33.60/yr ), kitty litter ($1-2 cheaper * 2/3 months * 12 = $8-$16), and a several other items. Not to mention the time saved by not having to go to the regular stores as often, because we have it "in stock" due to mass quantities.
you still have to watch prices, but if you watch for "good deals" on stuff you'll use, then you should at least break even.
--
be safe.
flip

In my area, most grocers with service stations are now giving gasoline discounts...from 2 to 15 per gallon.
Sam's has always been high priced in my area. I had a business membership for years...but finally dropped it. I can get much better prices by just shopping around.
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote in message

I go to Costco and Sams.
Last night I went to Costco and saved $30 in one shot. They had Cedar Filled dog beds for $17. I compared to PetSmart for $50+.
Sugar Free Red Bull. Wife loves the stuff. At $30 for 30, this is much better than the 2.50 a can she was paying at the gas station every day.
Baking/cooking bulks. I don't food shop there, but I save a lot of money on Baking Soda for the laundry room. I pay the same as at the supermarket, but get 5 times as much. Chicken bouillion cubes. Same price, 10 times as much.
It also a size convenience thing. When the wife is making 4 batches of cookies for her students, it is just plain easier to go to Sam's
I also do Costco, which I find is better for higher end stuff. I travel frequently and I found that thier $40 "Kirkland" wheeled suitcase is as good as a Tumi or Travelpro for 1/10 the cost.
I also picked up a roll-top desk at Costco a few years back for $399. Saw the EXACT same one (Brand, wood, fit & finish) at a local furniture shop for $1300.
Costco roses are better here than at the florist. 2 dozen for $13. Once every few weeks for the wife and I get less flak for tool purchases.
With the warehouse stores, it is definitely a "pick your battle" thing. If you do the typical minivan practice of loading up the cart on every impulse buy you see because it is a good deal, you are hurting yourself on supersize crap you don't need. However, if you go to the store to fill a specific need, you can make great deals.

No I really need that 55 gallon drum of capers!! I do I do!
My wife and I are not allowed to go alone. together we provide a bit of sanity check on each other.
Allen
snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com (Jay) wrote in

<Snipped>
I don't think we EVER get out of Costco for less than $300....
Patriarch
"> I don't think we EVER get out of Costco for less than $300.... We took back our Sealy 'king' bed today and got back $ 1293.00 Bought an ice cream and a Coke and left R

What was wrong with it?

Noisy, sounded (and felt) like sitting on a piece of carpet with a bunch of empty coke cans underneath..Crunk crunk crunk! Got a Simmons "Backcare" pocketed coil instead...its silent
BTW, We have a 15 yr old Sealy thats fine.. Dont make 'em like they used to.
Sure it's the BED creaking?

"> Sure it's the BED creaking? It "crunks" , I creak

Forgot to take the plastic wrap off it? :)
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:13:22 GMT, patriarch

For some things Costco (no Sam's Clubs up here) is a good deal. On others, it's no better than local stores. On a few items, it's more expensive than local stores. And since Medford it a 50 mile RT drive, I go only when I need something specific, like COFFEE! (Or a polish/kosher-beef dog fix.)

I must be more frugal than you guys. I have called it "The $100 Store" for eons now. Of course, I don't have a wife hanging on my arm wanting to go down EVERY SINGLE AISLE and looking at EVERY SQUARE INCH OF THE STORE, either.
--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! --- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

My observations are that their computer stuff is generally over priced since this stuff is always getting cheaper (fast). The power tools are the same way. I usually can find a place on-line with a better deal when sales tax and shipping costs are accounted for. Costco's return policy is top notch however and if I want some tool or other gizmo that I have a feeling might be "too good" of a deal I'll buy at Costco since I know I can return it. This happened with a 120GB disk drive, failed after 5 months of slight use. It was still under manufactures warranty, but I only had to go to the service desk to get a 100% refund.
-Bruce

Hi Jay, You've hit a few nerves with me. Good ones, don't worry. I have also seen those big furniture items at Costco and a few at Sam's, I have always looked at these things suspiciously. I have been burnt by buying a piece only to take it home and find that it was actually constructed of MDF with "a-picture-of-wood-on-sticky- shelf-paper-type-stuff" plastered all over it. But I guess I have seen some higher priced stuff that was real wood. My Dad used to say to let your eyes be your market, this is true in the warehouse stores for sure. Also good idea about the roses, hadn't even thought of that angle. Here a couple of years ago around Christmas time I reckon, I saw some Jet 10" Contractor grade Table saws in Costco. Just about the time I got the money up to buy one, they ran out. My luck! They were I think 50 or more dollars less than anywhere else I could find, if memory serves. They came with the jetfence I think. Not the Biesmeyer clone. Later, Beej
--
"Just because you're paranoid
doesn't mean the world's not

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Here's a non-culinary "Yeah, BUDDY!" from Sam's:
http://e-woodshop.net/files/rockers.jpg
Teak wood, well built and solid, BIG rockers (seats are 24" wide) Price: $US129/ea
Takes the mystery of why it's hard to make a living making furniture .... I literally can't buy the wood locally for that price!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04