OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

Page 5 of 11

I see that you are confused. It's a civil fine for FTA, same level as a FTA and bench warrant for same in the courts. Which is issued prior to a determination of guilt or innocence, though this would be a civil penalty requiring proof before the fine. End your confusion with some thought.

Do you mostly look for immediate gratification? Think long term. Hopefully the parent will get the message and start helping out more.
So, how much of a fine are we going to have for OT threads in the ng?
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
"Larry" wrote in message

The cabal will indeed fine complainers if their 'Next' key is in working order.
.... while there is no cabal, they have ways of knowing.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Where did "telephone conference" enter the discussion?

Just now. If stead of requiring parents to attend a conference in PERSON, just have them attend a conference in person, or by telephone.

I think the discussion had to do with a Texas law that posits a $500 fine, and doesn't mention telephone, at least not as presented earlier.
The phone concept might or might not work: it is close to impossible to identify a voice on the telephone, for one thing, without some fairly sophisticated gear.

Since the OP neglected to leave out the details and chose to reword in order to stir up the shit, see the link and play the local news coverage of the proposal.
http://www.click2houston.com/video/10897482/index.html
First of all, the parent is NOT forced into dropping what he is doing to meet with the school about his child. The parent will get to choose from 3 different periods of time to meet with the school. The parent WILL be able to call and cancel if he or she has a reasonable reason to miss the agreed upon meeting time. Reasonable is defined as something like a medical emergency. The fine is imposed after the parent makes the meeting and does not show up.

Correction,
The fine is imposed after the parent makes the meeting and does not show up AND DOES NOT NOTIFY THE SCHOOL THAT HE WILL NOT SHOW UP FOR THE SCHEDULED MEETING.

Uh, why would one need to "identify a voice on the telephone"? This is getting crazy.

Agreed. After all - how do they identify a parent in person?
On Feb 5, 8:05�pm, Bruce Barnett

Usually by having attending parents go through the school office, where they show ID if they aren't already known. Hard to do when a telephone is used.

It got crazy when someone decided a 500 buck fine was appropriate for not making a meeting with a schoolteacher.
It got crazy when someone decided a 500 buck fine was appropriate for not making a meeting with a schoolteacher.
Or crazy changing the whole jest of the new law.
The fine is after making the appointment and not calling to cancel.

Make that gist. ;~)

J 'st did.
Wonder how our crotchety civil libertarian views the Arkansas obesity program? Think it's less about "constitution" and more about who's proposing the invasion of privacy?
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/02/05/diet.ark.students.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/02/05/diet.ark.students.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest
I was going to comment with tongue in cheek that some one would cry out that it would be an invasion of freedom of expression if the state tried to require the school kids to see the results of their poor eating habits and lack of exercise.
Then I read the article and it seems to be endangered because of the poor esteem that it may inflict. Never mind the shorter life span and poor health will inflict in the long run.

I looked back and couldn't find anything about the fine coming after an appointment is made. It's slightly less retarded then, but still lacks brilliance.
There has to be some assumption the parent is forced to make an appointment, because otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever to fine them for missing a voluntary meeting. Sure, it wastes some of the teacher's time, but that's been going on for a long, long, long time and will continue regardless of sanctions.
Do you fine someone who had a blow-out on the way to the appointment, or simply got caught in traffic, or simply had a moment of forgetfulness?

If you go to the link and "watch and listen" to all 3 or 4 minutes of the report you will hear the comment that the fine is imosed after the parent has committed to 1 of 3 meetings and then choosed for what ever reason to not attend and not tell the school that they will not be there. In Texas we consider that phone call "Common Curtisity".
Less retarded, well lets certainly not impose any type of system to benefit out kids until it is perfect.

Yes the parent is probably required to attend 1 of 3 possible meeting dates when their child is in danger of further problems or failing a class. The fine can simply be avoided by providing a reasonable excuse and a telephone call. What is so unreasonable about that?
Sure, it wastes some of the

Maybe.
Do you fine some one that lies and uses one of those excuses. You can make up excuses all day long. Not every one was born yesterday. Sometimes life just bites you in the butt. If a parent has never attended a meeting previously, there is a better than good chance that the flat tire did not really happen. If the parent has been involved and goes to meetings I suspect that a missed meeting could be rescheduled. Its not a law yet so thousands of scenarios can be played out.
Bottom line, the state is trying to get the parents to be responsible for their kids actions. If any has a better way that would actually work better and be effective, please step up and provide that the answer. While I don't like government to be involved any more than the next person, something has to be done and right or wrong you have to start some where.
Leon wrote:
| While I don't like government to be involved any more than the next | person, something has to be done and right or wrong you have to | start some where.
The end justifies the means?