OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

Page 2 of 11
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:05:07 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Barnett

Trouble is that thanks to bussing kids all over Hell's half acre, some parents can't _get_ to the frelling school. Poor people in the inner city don't always have cars to drive to the suburban paradise that the courts have decided is appropriate for schooling their kids, and the school bus may be the _only_ bus that goes near there. Was the school willing to send a bus to pick up the parent?

I agree that bussing is stupid but that a long buss trip for the parent is simply one more lame excuse for not tending to your child's needs. There is plenty of before hand warning of the consequences if a parent misses a meeting. If it would present a hardship to attend a meeting for my child's benefit I would see to it the my child understood what a hardship it would be to attend a meeting far from home. Its time to quit making excuses for not taking care of our children.
There are going to be a million other reasons this would be inconvenient for the parents. My suggestion is to take steps to see to it that your child stays out of trouble.
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:30:29 -0600, "Leon"

If one can take a long bus trip there's no problem. The nearest bus stop to any school around here is about 5 miles from the school. One has to walk both ways if one doesn't have a car.

So how does someone with no car and limited income get to a school that does not have a bus stop nearby?

Like what? When some bully punches your kid out and your kid is accused by the bully and his friends of starting the fight, how can anything you do prevent that?

If you are truely interested in you child's welfare and don't want a $500 fine you will find a way to get there. Plain and simple.

Come on THINK, the first thin that comes to mind is to ask for a freind or neighbor for a ride.

Were you one of those people that always needed some one else to solve your problems.
On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:16:54 GMT, "Leon"

How.
And why would any of them have cars?

If nobody needs anybody to solve their problems then why does the teacher need the parent to solve her problems?

Think!
You are not thinking are you?

You apparently don't get it. It's not the teachers problem, is the parents and child's problem.
On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:22:04 GMT, "Leon"

Not an answer. Why would any poor person living in the inner city have a car? And what makes you think that poor people living in the inner city have neighbors or friends who are any better off than they are?

Then why is the teacher harassing them?

In Houston, poor people that barely have a roof over their heads drive better cars than I do.

HUH?
On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:04:30 GMT, "Leon"

If (a) people don't need someone else to solve their problems, and (b) it's the parents' and child's problem, not the teacher's problem, then how is it the teacher's business?
You're the one making up the rules, if you can't live with them you need to work on your value system.
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net says...

You don't understand. Nanny-state advocates, such as Leon, make up the rules for _other_people_. They don't expect -- or intend -- the rules to apply to themselves.

I love it. You don't have a solution, so you demand someone else "think".
Actually, it is the teacher's problem as much as it is the child's and parent's problem. It is also society's problem, but legislation is not the way to correct it, and may well be un-Constitutional. I know us liberals are always tossing up the Constitution, Leon, but it's there and is the basis for our laws. At least it it mostly was before Shrub took office.
I love it. You don't have a solution, so you demand someone else "think".
No, I gave a solution, hitch a ride with a neighbor, friend. public transportation. I refused to keep presenting solutions because JClarke spends all his effort being contrary and making excuses why he or some one can't do this or that. I asked him to think rather than make up excuses. Can't will always prevent a solution. Again, where there is a will, there is a way and especially when my child is involved. If necessary, the $500 fine will certainly provide a mojority the will if it has to go that far. If I were in a situation where I absolutely could not find a way to make ANY meetings I would certainly start talking with my kids NOW about staying out of and how to stay out of trouble.
Actually, it is the teacher's problem as much as it is the child's and parent's problem. It is also society's problem, but legislation is not the way to correct it, and may well be un-Constitutional. I know us liberals are always tossing up the Constitution, Leon, but it's there and is the basis for our laws. At least it it mostly was before Shrub took office.
Because of the restrictions imposed on all teachers against disciplining their students in Texas public schools the problem is getting worse. Too many parents did not want their children disciplined but none offered any possible solutions to getting their kids to act civilized. The line needs to be drawn as to how much these kids are going to get away with. Parental involvement is key whether the parents like it or not.

Are you one of the people who cannot understand that others do not have the resources that upper-middle class families have, including friends who can give rides? On one point, you want someone to ask for help. On another, you want them to solve their own problems.
That doesn't make any more sense than does legislating attendance at school meetings..
Are you one of the people who cannot understand that others do not have the resources that upper-middle class families have, including friends who can give rides? On one point, you want someone to ask for help. On another, you want them to solve their own problems.
That doesn't make any more sense than does legislating attendance at school meetings..
Yeah Charlie, I think that you are probably right. My child is now out of public school and none of this really concerns me any more. My child did well so that is all that really matters to me. We really should ignore the problem with school violence and poor attendance because that is how it has been and will always be. Lets not do some thing so drastic at to require parents to be accountable for their kids actions. Heck lets not even make the kids go to school because the family is too poor to make it with out their kids contributing to the family income.
Further, this law that is being proposed in a city close to Houston seems to be getting more support from the community that it will involve than those that will not be affected.
All these dam laws just get in the way and cramp my style.

They should at least be able to attend a telephone conference.
I think the $500 fine is ridiculous, but there are other ways to encourage parents to meet with teachers. Parents are "inconvenienced" (Certainly not the word I would choose, I think "obligated" is more accurate) in all kinds of ways while raising their kids. I would look at the way schools (in my area anyway) handle vaccinations as a guide. If a kid doesn't have proper vaccinations, he or she cannot attend school. If enough time passes without the child in school, the truancy laws kick in.
The $500 fine could certainly be construed as unreasonable, but IMHO keeping a child out of school until a parent meets with his or her teacher or a school official is certainly a reasonable action. And most jurisdictions already have truancy laws on the books.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 04:19:51 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry) wrote:

When I was a kid we got vaccinated at school unless the parents instructed otherwise. And if the child is not in school because the school won't allow the child on the premises, then the child is not "truant".

"Keeping a child out of school until . . ." is called "suspension" and a kid who has been "suspended" is not "truant"--in this state if a kid is suspended or otherwise prohibited from attending school then the school is obligated by law to provide tutoring at his home.
Larry wrote:

First, vaccination is a public health issue, the rationale for requiring them is to protect al the students from potential epidemics. There is no similar public health issue respecting parents meeting with teachers. Second, at least in my state, parents can affirmative refuse to have their children vaccinated, and the schools have to take them anyway.

The goal of education is, well, to educate. Please explain how suspending a child from school as a bludgeon to force parents to meet with teachers furthers that goal.

Which do not apply to the situation when a child does not attend school because the government has ordered him not to attend. So what's your poihnt here?

Given that most likely the purpose for the "conference" is to resolve a behavioral problem, the suspending of that child's access to school is going to facilitate the education of the remaining children in that child's classes.

In our district we have two scheduled parent/teacher conferences per school year. It's a time to learn where your child sits academically and how the teacher will be tailoring the subjects to their needs. Every parent is expected to sign up at a time convenient to them - unfortunately, many stand up the teacher.
BTW, the subject of teachers holding masters degrees came up in the last couple days in this thread. I just found out today - quite by happenstance - that my neighborhood elementary school has an instructional staff with 12.6 years average experience, 35% hold master's degree or higher and 96.2% meet the Federal "Highly Qualified Teacher" guideline.
We are not a middle or upper income neighborhood - quite the contrary as more then 62% of our 390-ish students are federally defined as economically disadvantaged.
Overall, I think teachers are trying damn hard to do their best with the constraints they are under as well as the lack of support from many parents and some very vocal political activists. Instead of criticizing, get involved!
--
This Administration begs the question: WWJT?

_____
Owen Lowe