?on miter cut.

Page 5 of 6
You got it. There has been many correct answers with different numbers. A lot of argument has gone on due to different reference points.

from.
think
"Leon" wrote in message

from.
think
Obviously not everyone agrees on that:

To me, that is _specifically_ asking for the 54 "degree" angle to which the 2 X 4's need to be cut ... not the angle of the saw necessary to make the cut, which someone with a through understanding of woodworking miter geometry would know instinctively.
Granted, a fair difference in interpretation .... and if you just want to get the job done and not understand "why" you need to set the saw differently, then all you need to know is 36 degrees.
However, unless you have a grasp of the geometry involved, you may never figure out the angles on the next project ... which is obviously WHY the question was asked in the FIRST damn place.
;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

the
Yeah but..... ;~) He indicated the use of a compound miter saw. I took that to indicate that he wanted to know what to set that saw at. Had he indicated a Skil saw or jig saw, the 54 degree angle would have been correct.

Yes exactly.

Well for those more challenged with the geometry rules... ;~) I always go for the saw setting angle.
If you want a square or rectangle, add up the amount of cuts necessary. 8, 2 on each end of each of the 4 boards. Divide 8 into 360, you get 45 degrees for the saw setting.
For a 6 sided project, 12 cuts divided into 360 gives you a saw setting of 30 degrees. The resulting angle would be 60 degrees on the end of each board.
Swingman responds:

Ah well. My Bosch 4412 has a 52 deg. left and 60 deg. right setting.
Angles confuse me easily. I probably spend more time working out angles than at any other single woodworking chore.
But my math is abyssmal and always has been, which is my own fault for daydreaming through the appropriate classes, something I am now trying to pound into a 14 year old granddaughter's head. She's excellent an English but won't study math "because I'll never use it." Amazing what a difference in perspective one gets 51 years later!
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
On 19 Apr 2004 09:26:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

A word to the wise, and do take it kindly:
There is no sense the blind leading the blind. Get her a good tutor! "Pounding" never works; you have to stimulate some interest. A good tutor should be able to do that as well.
Dan.
On 19 Apr 2004 09:26:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Ah, Charlie, 'twasn't math problems that turned this thread into the train wreck it became, 'twas a lack of English. (Or rather a lack in that branch of English study involving a simple willingness to look up definitions.)
Seems to me that Chris's been making an ass of himself, (with all the bravado of one who's ignorance has him convinced he's right), simply because he insists on calling a locomotive a caboose.
Michael (not a choo-choo engineer)
Michel you seem to not of read the thread very well. I do not know how many times I stated that the miter saw was to be set at 36 degrees and the resulting angle would be 54 degrees. Seems to me you need to brush up on your reading skills some what. As far as you saying "I am making an ass of myself". I feel that when some one lacks the capability to express himself with having to name call other people it shows a level of intellect that I neither have the time or the patience for. A newsgroup should be a forum for people to have a free exchange of ideas and opinions. But it is exactly your reaction why people turn away from these groups and at that point every one loses. I feel that every person has the capability to be able to positively contribute to a conversation. But some people lack the common respect toward others to do this on a regular basis.
CHRIS
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message (Charlie Self)

the
the
pound
won't
Geez... I think rigor mortis has set in on this dead horse. Think it is time to quit kicking it?
Hey, Guys,
It's really amazing how long this thread continued without degenerating into the "You're a ...", "No, I'm not, you are." contest. Why don't we make an effort to keep it civil until the thread dies a natural death.
And, no, I'm not trying to be a net nanny or stifle anyone's freedom of expression, but if we were all to imagine the person being addressed is actually sitting there in person ...

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Since you don't know how many times you stated that, I'll be happy to tell you: once. The rest of the time, you were busy insisting that the angle of the cut was 36 degrees, which it manifestly is not.

Perhaps he's referring to this post of yours on 18 Apr:
Ok you go ahead and build it that way and see what you end up with. I will guarantee you do not end up with a pentagon at all not even a square. Use some common sense if you use 45 degrees to get a square how the hell do you come up with 108 degrees?? 108 dose not even divide into 360 evenly you end up with 3.333333333333333333333333333333333 and so on show me a 3.33333333333333333 sided object through the rose coloured glasses you wear. and I will sell you the patent to widgets ok

You mean like when you wrote this?
By the way what is your occupation??? I will bet you are not a cabinetmaker.

Chris, perhaps you should go back through the thread in Google and examine your tone in nearly all of your posts. Michael said it very well: you've been making an ass of yourself with all the bravado of one whose ignorance has convinced him he's right.

Actually there was only once I had typed 36 degree angle instead of miter which was a mistake on my part I will admit. But if you check the thread I quoted MITER at least 10 times. I had also agreed that you would achieve a 54 degree angle. At no time did I resort to personal name calling either. I had asked the question about the occupation as a point of reference to show that if you do not work in the trade you might not understand that there is a distinct difference when you reefer to something as a MITER or as a ANGLE. Example : If I asked for a 90 degree angle I would expect to see one piece of material joined to the other at 90 degrees from each other (typically a butt joint) But if I asked for a 90 degree MITER I would expect to see two pieces of material joined together with a 45 degree MITER on each piece.
CHRIS
(Charlie Self)

which
make
but

Without making it clear that you were referring to the setting of the miter gauge.

Yes, you did: once.

By your email address it appears that you do work in the trade -- and by your confused syntax and garbled terminology it appears that you don't understand that "distinct difference" too well yourself.

See what I mean about garbled terminology? You're using the word "MITER" in two different senses within the same sentence.
At this point, it's perfectly clear that you do in fact understand how to set your miter gauge properly to make the cuts that you need. But it's equally clear that you do a piss-poor job of explaining it, and the harder you try to explain, the worse you do at it. It's time to quit.

In rec.woodworking

Wrong
This is getting comical.

This is the funniest goddam thread I've read on the wreck in a very, very long time!
You guys crack me up!
Here... I'll help everyone out with the following link:
<http://www.betterwoodworking.com/compound_miter.htm
Now you can all argue over how wrong their chart is, or what the complementary angle is... Oh, wait... Nevermind.
LOL!
--
"We have been looking for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq for less time
than it took Hillary Clinton to find the billing record from the Rose Law firm.
"CW" wrote in message

The guy wants to make a pentagonal planter box for his wife, right?
He probably has yet to realize that his wife will eventually want him to slop the sides outwards ... now we're talking _compound_ miter cuts.
... then the real comedy begins.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Yeah, I thought about that when I originally posted. A straight pentagon planter is downright ugly.

Easy. You just cut the bottom at a different angle. Right? ;) Let's see, it would be 54 - 36 x 360 / 540.
That is when you let the computer miter program earn its spot. ;~)

I do it one step simpler. I count the amount of cuts needed, 10, and divide into 360, 36 degrees.
For a square, 8 cuts into 360, 45 degrees.
For a 20 piece unit, 40 cuts into 360, 9 degrees.

long.