Would like my Lavendar to bloom

What does it take to get a Lavender plant to bloom.

It is planted in full sun, and was in bloom when I planted it. In fact I have two in the same area and neither one will bloom.

Thank you in advance !

Reply to
T&D

Patience. Resist the temptation to use fertilizer and keep it on the dry side. Basically, it prefers some neglect. Mine blooms in June.

Reply to
Phisherman

Plants usually don't bloom because they don't have enough phosphorous in them. If you will look on the back of a plant food container, there are three numbers: 15-30-15. These three numbers represent Nitrogen-Phosphorous-Potash and each one is representative of what a plant needs. If you want more leaves, get a plant food with a higher first number, such as 30-15-15. If you want more flowers, get a plant food with a higher middle number, such as 15-30-15. If you want more fruit, get a plant food with a higher last number, such as 15-15-30. The most common (and overused) type of food you will need for your lavender is Miracle Grow, which is 15-30-15. Once you apply it, watch out--that thing will never stop blooming. But don't use it on your foliage or it will force them to bloom too.

Reply to
Beth Pierce

Reply to
Phisherman

In article , Phisherman writes: |> |> Be careful with lavendar (and many other herbs). If you must apply |> fertilizer, I recommend fish emulsion, diluted more than the |> directions recommend. I have killed lavendar using fertilizer.

Yes, too much nitrogen (and water) can make plants grow lushly and not bloom. Lavender is a Mediterranean plant, and is adapted to poor soil and fairly dry summers (such as in much of California).

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Good point, but I'm sure it also depends on the ph of the soil, too. I did mention the word "overused" regarding Miracle Grow. That stuff is used for everything and all the time and it can kill plants if overused. I do much prefer fish emulsion for maintenance once the plant has started a regular season of blooming after I have jumpstarted it with a 15-30-15 fertilizer.

Reply to
Beth Pierce