?on miter cut.

My wife would like a 5 sided planter. Just thinks it would look cute?? I am not a wood worker but, have access to a compound miter saw. What degree would I need to cut the 2x4's to achieve this? They will each be 27" long.

Thanks for any help or advice.Bob

Reply to
Bob

I can picture a lot of 5 sided planters but probably wouldn't make any with

2x4s. Are you talking about a pentagon with sides perpendicular to the ground? If so, the angles would be 54 degrees each to make 108 degree corners.
Reply to
Bruce
18°

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

It would be a 36 degree angle The way to figure out any angle is very simple you divide 360 by the number of sides then divide your answer in halve to find out your miter example for a square : 360 / 4 = 90 then 90 / 2 = 45 degree angle Example for a pentagon : 360 / 5 = 72 then 72/ 2 = 36 degree angle

Chris

Reply to
Chris Melanson
5 sided planter, each corner 108 deg therefore 108 * 5 = 540 deg in a circle

I know US and UK gallons are different, didn't realise that degrees were as well....

Graham

Reply to
Graham Walters
360 deg / 5 = 72 deg

Divide in 2 for each side of planter 72 deg /2 = 36 deg at each end of

2x4's.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Walters

The sum of the interior angles of a polygon is (n-2)*180 degrees, where n is the number of sides. Note that this has nothing to do with the _central_ angle of a circle.

In the case of a pentagon, the sum of the interior angles is:

A = (5-2)*180 = 540 degrees

So each of the five interior angles of a regular (all sides the same length) pentagon is 540/5 = 108 degrees.

Equal-angle mitres should be half of this, or 54 degrees.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Ok you go ahead and build it that way and see what you end up with. I will guarantee you do not end up with a pentagon at all not even a square. Use some common sense if you use 45 degrees to get a square how the hell do you come up with 108 degrees?? 108 dose not even divide into 360 evenly you end up with

3.333333333333333333333333333333333 and so on show me a 3.33333333333333333 sided object through the rose coloured glasses you wear. and I will sell you the patent to widgets ok

CHRIS

Reply to
Chris Melanson

Ah... 36+54=90. You're both right.

3.33333333333333333
Reply to
Saudade

If you would like the real formula for a MITER it is as follows A=(360/x)/2 where "a" is the MITER "x" is the number of sides For interior or exterior angles it would be A=(360/x) where "A" is the interior or exterior angle.

CHRIS

Reply to
Chris Melanson

3.33333333333333333

Chris,

I suggest you open a drawing package and draw it out as you don't seem to be able to follow the maths. This isn't a matter of opinion; facts is facts.

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

36°
Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

It doesn't have to ... what the man wants for his planter box is a "regular polygon" or "convex polygon" ... i.e, the sides and angles are equal.

As you seem to think, a regular polygon does NOT necessarily have the sum of the interior angles = 360 degrees.

An equilateral triangle is a regular polygon where the sum of the interior angles = 180 degrees

A square is a regular polygon where the sum of the interior angles = 360 digress

A pentagon is a regular polygon where the sum of the interior angles = 540 degrees.

Folks are obviously better educated in the UK these days.

Reply to
Swingman

And I'll accept your apology anytime you're ready.

Reply to
Bruce

The one lacking common sense is you Chris. You use 45 to get 90 degree corners in a square. A pentagon has obtuse angles bonehead. Let's bet before you go look at a.b.p.w to see the AutoCAD drawing I posted.

Reply to
Bruce

Something (maybe) your speed:

108 dose not even divide into 360 evenly you end up with

You might want to be a little less cocky when you're (obviously) working so far from your area of expertise.

Reply to
Greg Neill

You are of course right. I've posted a pic on a.b.p.ww to prove it.

Reply to
Bruce

Ummm, it was my post that started this and I'm in the great state of Texas, USA.

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Could you please go and make a pentagon and see for yourself that 36 Degrees will work for a MITER. I have CAD programs (IE Auto CAD V- 7 all the way up to 2004) and do know how to use them. I also am a very experienced cabinetmaker and am more than capable of making SIMPLE MITERS and using common sense. If you want all five sides of a pentagon to be of equal length you would have to use a common MITER of 36 degrees. If you have trouble comprehending that there is no sense even trying to explain it any further. GO MAKE A PENTAGON AND FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF. Also please knock off your condescending attitude about "Folks are obviously better educated in the UK these days" because you are only making yourself look foolish with your self righteous comments.

"Swingman" wrote in message news:2cKdnaJCzcLPdh snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
Chris Melanson