?on miter cut.

Page 1 of 6
My wife would like a 5 sided planter. Just thinks it would look cute?? I am not a wood worker but, have access to a compound miter saw. What degree would I need to cut the 2x4's to achieve this? They will each be 27" long.
Thanks for any help or advice.Bob
In rec.woodworking

I can picture a lot of 5 sided planters but probably wouldn't make any with 2x4s. Are you talking about a pentagon with sides perpendicular to the ground? If so, the angles would be 54 degrees each to make 108 degree corners.
5 sided planter, each corner 108 deg therefore 108 * 5 = 540 deg in a circle
I know US and UK gallons are different, didn't realise that degrees were as well....
Graham

The sum of the interior angles of a polygon is (n-2)*180 degrees, where n is the number of sides. Note that this has nothing to do with the _central_ angle of a circle.
In the case of a pentagon, the sum of the interior angles is:
A = (5-2)*180 = 540 degrees
So each of the five interior angles of a regular (all sides the same length) pentagon is 540/5 = 108 degrees.
Equal-angle mitres should be half of this, or 54 degrees.
Ok you go ahead and build it that way and see what you end up with. I will guarantee you do not end up with a pentagon at all not even a square. Use some common sense if you use 45 degrees to get a square how the hell do you come up with 108 degrees?? 108 dose not even divide into 360 evenly you end up with 3.333333333333333333333333333333333 and so on show me a 3.33333333333333333 sided object through the rose coloured glasses you wear. and I will sell you the patent to widgets ok
CHRIS

Ah... 36+54. You're both right.

I suggest you open a drawing package and draw it out as you don't seem to be able to follow the maths. This isn't a matter of opinion; facts is facts.
Bernard R
In rec.woodworking

Bernard R
You are of course right. I've posted a pic on a.b.p.ww to prove it.
"Chris Melanson" wrote in message

It doesn't have to ... what the man wants for his planter box is a "regular polygon" or "convex polygon" ... i.e, the sides and angles are equal.
As you seem to think, a regular polygon does NOT necessarily have the sum of the interior angles = 360 degrees.
An equilateral triangle is a regular polygon where the sum of the interior angles = 180 degrees
A square is a regular polygon where the sum of the interior angles = 360 digress
A pentagon is a regular polygon where the sum of the interior angles = 540 degrees.
Folks are obviously better educated in the UK these days.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Ummm, it was my post that started this and I'm in the great state of Texas, USA.
"Bruce" wrote in message

Ummm, so am I ... but since you got it right the first time, you obviously weren't included in "these days" with regard to education.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04
Did you even read the OP.????
and yes "All closed polygons have angles that equal 360 degrees, with the single exception of the triangle family, where those angles equal 180 degrees" as Quoted from CJ
So will you make the bet ? And try making a pentagon setting your saw to 54 degrees or will you apologise and accept that the answer is 36 degrees.
CHRIS

The sum of the exterior angles of any closed polygon of n sides is (n - 2) * 180 degrees.
180 for a triangle 360 for a square 540 for a pentagon 720 for a hexagon and so on.

Miter gauge settings measure the difference from 90 degrees (e.g. to make a cut at a right angle, you set the gauge at 90 - 90 = 0 degrees). So to make the proper 54-degree cuts for a mitered joint at the corner of a regular pentagon, you set your miter gauge to 90 - 54 = 36 degrees -- but this cuts a 54-degree angle, *not* a 36-degree angle. Don't believe me? Make the cut. Then get a protractor and measure the actual angle.
Please read the "OP" and then go and build one I am getting sick and tired of people without the concept of actually building something trying to tell me how it is done. You do END up with a 54 Degree angle but do not set your saw for a 54 degree MITER cut. Please learn the difference between the two.
CHRIS

Thank you, that is exactly what I have been saying. (Did you read my post before you replied?) As my post makes abundantly clear, I know the difference perfectly well. It is now clear that you do also, although your sloppy use of terminology in previous posts made it appear that you did not.
Now just add up those 54-degree angles -- one at each end of each of five pieces, making ten in all -- and get 540 degrees as the sum of the exterior angles in a pentagon, and we'll both be on the same page.
:-)

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message

Ahhh , now we're getting somewhere. ... therefore, the correct answer to the OP's question of what angle the cut needs to be:

... is 54 degrees, NOT 36, as you have heretofore been insisting..
The answer to the unasked question "how to cut a 54 degree angle on a miter saw" is to set it to the complementary angle of 36 degrees.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Since what?