OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 10 of 16
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:08:30 -0500, Silvan

For most computers, yes. However Commodores were always a little -- shall we say -- idiosyncratic?
--RC

160 or 185K, depending on if it was 35 or 40 tracks.
Dave Hinz

I still have my 1980 vintage notch cutter for turning single sided floppies into double sided. I also have a box of 5 8" floppies with the original price still on the box. $99.95.
Gino wrote:

I'll see your notcher and 8" FDs and raise you a paper tape splicer with a box of mylar splices. (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I sold a _bunch_ of 8" floppies in the time leading up to Y2K. Had a stack of 'em, with the "too good to toss, not good enough to use" stuff. As Y2K came near, people with ancient systems needed to patch 'em. My employer at the time was one of those. As an employee, I wasn't allowed to sell to my employer (huge megacorp with stupid rules), so we bought from the local media supplier. But, I wasn't prohibited from selling _to_ the local media supplier, so...
I think I got something like 5 bucks a piece for aged, used, 8" floppies. About half of what they were worth when new, but a whole lot more than they're worth for any other reason. Purely a supply:demand situation.

Stuff's only worth what you can get for it. When the company I worked for closed out a product line many years ago (software) we dumped all the old masters. Some of the variations ran 40 5 1/4" floppies (Apple II). We had different master for each system and often had both double-sided and single-sided sets for the same thing. They were also all duplicated in 3 1/2" disks (again often both single and double-sided). The upshot was that we almost filled and entire dumpster with nothing but disks - probably more than 10,000 all told. The guy with the garbage company actually called the office to make sure he was supposed to be dumping all that stuff.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

You're going to make me think now. I'm pretty sure I did 40 track, so 185K.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
You got me curious enough to go upstairs and get out my O-1 and fire it up. It runs CP/M 2.2
My CP/M boot floppy is labeled as.. Single Side, Double Density.....185k
in the help screens on the boot floppy, it mentions... "The diskettes used by the Osborne 1 should be soft-sectored, 5 1/4 inch, single-sided, and single density. This is the information you need to tell a salesman to insure that you buy the proper diskettes."
another window on the help screen indicates .. "If you recieve a message like "DISK FULL" or "NO SPACE" you need to get out a fresh diskette. CP/M CAPACITY = 92k"
So..... Single Side Single Density = 92k Single Side Double Density = 185k

LOL! I just upgraded to a 21" monitor for that reason. The 19" was getting hard on the eyes.
Gino wrote:

There was a Morrow, an Adam, and an Eagle out there. Trash 80 too, now that I think of it. I wish I could run bricks on this computer. %-(
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

But you can.
->apt-cache search bricks
gnome-breakout - Clone of the classic game Breakout, written for GNOME lbreakout2 - A ball-and-paddle game with nice graphics lbreakout2-data - A ball-and-paddle game with nice graphics (DATA FILES)
Or close enough. I'm sure there's got to be something for Windows too.

Hey now, don't be dis'ing the TRS-80. Sacred ground there.
But the C-64 is in the Smithsonian!!!!
wrote:

oldies in

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

I still have an Autocoder manual around here someplace. Also did a fair amount of machine language programming. Punched paper tape was the medium of choice although patches could be entered in octal via a string if toggle switches and a nixie light display. Gaggers. Fun though.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Yeah, I hate to toss books, but I hadda make room for new ones that will be out of date in three minutes. Which is two minutes longer than the computer they describe.

Since you seem to be a collector I tlought I would ask this since I have wondered if it's worth anything. I have a QuadRam board that was made to convert the original IBM PC to work like and run Apple II software. You put it in one of the PC slots, ran some software from the 5 1/2 floppy and you could use any Apple software. Is this worth anything to collectors? Worth listing on eBay, or should I just pitch it? Have the original box and I believe the few cables and things that came with it. Mike in Arkansas
On 01 Jan 2005 22:01:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.commorespam (Mike in Arkansas) wrote:

I'm not sure Mike, it's not something I collect. A word to the wise. Watch those old boxes. Some old boxes that computers came in are worth 100x the computer that came in them.

Well, don't get me wrong, I _use_ the computers at home, but I'm not going to go rebuilding kernels for the hell of it to see how it goes. That, after all, is what the lab at work is for. Time to build that FreeBSD mailhub running postfix, I think.
Dave

we
It's probably genetic. My parents and grandparents lived thru the Great Depression (and my birthdate is not that far removed from it). I remember growing up that NOTHING was wasted...even if it was never used.
Perhaps in a few more generations the trait will dispppear.

Yep, I use em all the time. But I wouldn't ruin a tool that someone else could use to save a buck.

My father/uncle being cheap turned me off the habit. There's no point doing a job, if it's going to look like shit.