Off Topic: What do you think of my remote start installation?

Page 3 of 4

The Leon entity posted thusly:

Actually, I just thought of another one, though it isn't incorporated on all brands of remote starter.
Ours has a 'winter mode', for when you are parked in a lot that has no plug-ins (yes, we plug our block heaters in during the winter). What it does is start the car periodically, and each time, runs it for a predetermined time. This keeps the oil from getting to the consistency of restaurant butter.

Up in Maine, we use a system that we fondly refer to as, "Regular Oil Changes" that helps keep the "restaurant butter" out of our crankcases......
The * entity posted thusly:

Yeah, it's easy for you guys in the tropics. :-)

1.) Where is the tree-hugger/save-the-earth/environmentally-conscious-left-wing out cry?????
All those hyrdocarbons being wasted....polluting the air.....global warming (caused by car warming????- rofl).......yada, yada, yada.
Oh, that's right. The mother-earth/tree-huggers who, ironically, overheat their houses with wood stoves really NEED to step into a warm car.
They all have remote starters on their Saabs and Volvos.
Some truly environmentally-conscious politician - Ted Kennedy, perhaps - should introduce an anti-remote-starter bill......but, wait.....He probably either gets a ride to work in a pre-heated limo or has a remote starter himself.
2.) Engines warm up faster and more evenly under load than just idling.
And the rest of the driveline - transmissions, differentials and transaxles - warms up at a similar rate - under use.
They just sit there and stay cold when the engine only is idling.
Yeah!...I know that tranny fluid is being circulated by the pump in at idle, but it is minimal flow when the tranny is in Park....not even reaching as many areas as when the tranny is in Neutral - let alone in Drive. Check out a transmission flow chart some time.
People who use remote starters probably NEVER think about the cold transmission/differential/transaxle. The engine's warm, so let's head on up the highway at 70 mph.
Better get ready to deal with the slimeballs at Aamco and Cottman.
3.) Allowing ANY engine to idle for long periods contaminates the oil, washes down the oil film on the cylinder walls, etc......MORE wear and tear on the engine - just to avoid a little cold air - and a little exercise scraping the window and sweeping off the snow.
4.) Remote starting allows an ice-cold engine to idle under cold-start/run, rich fuel mixture conditions - allowing even MORE fuel contamination of the oil....and the engine stays in "open loop" longer since it doesn't reach normalized condition as quickly as when it is being driven.
5.) Figure 40 miles of engine wear for every hour a vehicle idles.......40 miles of engine wear NOT recorded on the odometer of a remote-starter-equipped vehicle.
City police cars are said to have approximately twice the odometer mileage on their engines than the odometer indicates due to excessive idling. Taxicabs are similar.
Knowing this, would YOU buy a used police cruiser or taxicab? Would YOU buy ANY used car with a remote starter that has, likely, spent an inordinate amount of its lifetime idling?
6.) As pointed out elsewhere, leaving your car idling is breaking the law in some communities.
Perhaps you consider the law to be foolish, and you choose to ignore it. That's fine.
Well, don't be too harsh on the drug addict who considers property laws to be foolish when he needs a fix, so he breaks into your house and steals your personal property.
Maybe he agrees totally with the anti-idling law, so it's a wash.......

Nah... he can't even imagine remotely starting a car while it's under water!
LLoyd

-
water!
He told the police that he DID try to start the car and drive it out, but.........
......it wouldn't start because it was flooded
* wrote:

I heard that being the good swimmer that he was he dove back down to the car several times and locked the doors...
--

FF

Some of us are very aware of the situation. Two miles from my house to the highway.

While you make some good points, I'm still getting a remote starter in my new car. Yep, I don't like freezing my ass of for the first five minutes of my 35 minute commute. In winter, my overall mileage drops about 2 mpg for the warm up time I do. The remote just saves me from running out and starting the car while I come back into the house to finish my tea.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

On 3/21/2006 10:34 PM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

I thought about the remote starter thing, but my vehicle has no heater, but I do have air condition (I get the air in any condition it comes in). EFI makes it simple, start it up and go, no warm up needed.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Reminds me of the time thirty years ago when I went out in winter, started up my Thunderbird, turned on the heater and went back inside to wait for it to warm up. Fell asleep and woke up 8 hours later. Car was still idling, all the snow around the car for three feet was melted and the seats were so hot I couldn't sit on them. The car never ran properly after that.
Upscale wrote:

You did that to a thunderbird? Shame, fie!
er
--
email not valid

    [ ... ]

    At least it is not likely that it was a two-seater T-bird, which I would consider more of a loss.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

'67 T-bird, best car I ever had. But then, the first car you ever owned was always the best.

59 Studebaker Lark VI? Nope. It was great because it got me off the 1 hour school bus ride (one way). But best car? Nah.

was
You don't remember the thrill of the first time you actually owned and drove the first car that was all yours? I do. While there were later cars that handled better and were faster, the first one had its own particular thrill. Almost like sex.
(I said almost, not that it was)

I was certainly thrilled to have my own car and drive it. But while that was exciting, I don't look back and say, "that was the best car I ever had".

I agree with the certain thrill part, just not the "best"

... ain't goin' that far. ;-)
wrote in message

drove
thrill.
Well then, there was also that direct connection between your first car and sex...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yeah --- 59 Studebaker Lark VI, Tahitian Coral Enamel (almost pink for the uninitiated). You betcha, got lots of dates with that. not.

65 Rambler station wagon..EVERY seat in it folded flat.
I had a LOT of sex in that old beasty.
232 ci, tilt a wheel and if you turned on the air conditioner you would go face first into the steering wheel from the sudden slow down of the engine
Gunner
"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams
On 3/22/2006 11:55 PM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

Not really, since I drove the family car for a year before I bought my first car. Now, I do remember the thrill of owning my first motorcycle. That was as good as sex.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???