What do you think of Dixie Chopper mowers?

I just might (very slim possibility, depends on wife) be investing around 5K on a Dixie Chopper zero turn lawn mower. Of course, I would never wear it out, but I recon I could mow my lawn in half the time, for the next 20 years. But I digress....

What do people think of Dixie Chopper as a brand. Are there any other competing brands I should consider? The huskies are a little more expensive, I need the smallest one to fit through a fence gate. I have

1 acre of grass.

Thanks for any useful tips!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Friend does lawns for a living. He's owned a couple of brands over the last few years. Bought a Dixie Chopper a few months ago and loves it. T

Reply to
AAllc.architects

It seems the DC main claim to fame is that it is the fastest mower there is in terms of ground speed. I do see it used on the really big lawns. When you really have a lot of grass to mow speed is important. If you just mow one lawn maybe less so.

My local guys carry the Dixie Chopper as well as the Toro. I think the Toro is just super nice and you should check them out but they are not inexpensive either. Toro makes every size and kind of mower up to the biggest so they will have a much larger selection of sizes and styles to choose from than DC, no question.

If you wanted to go all out you can order the Kawasaki twin and hydrostatic transmission. The one I wanted was over 7K so I decided to stick with the mowers I have until I have that number. It could be a long time (-:

Reply to
Lawrence

We had 6 of them where I worked. Commercial lawn and landscape company. How many hours on the one you're looking at? We had very good luck with them until the third year. This relates to about the 1,000 hour mark. Then we spent a fortune on them that third year. I'd say if it looks well kept and has less than 200 hours on it, then you probably will have a good experience. Which model is it? We ended up buying the Exmark for considerably less money and one hell of a lot closer to the dealer than we were with the dixie's. The Exmarks have served well, but will not match the speed the dixie has. you will not find a faster mower than the dixie chopper. One we had was the 43 horse (they call it 50) diesel with a 72" deck. You could mow a finish cut at about 11-14 mph with that unit.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I was considering buying a new Silver Eagle 42" cut, with the Kohler twin engine, as its the only one that will fit through my gate (which is 50.5" wide). I'm figuring that it will outlast me! I'd use it once or twice a week for 1 hour each time (hopefully less that one hour, this is based on a craftsman mower). I have lots of little trees and other things to get around and right now I am reversing all the time trying to get it all done.

Reply to
dean

they are pretty good mowers. i have vast experience with them and scag and grasshopper. i went with grasshopper at home because it is longer and more stable on hills, but really all three of these brands is really good for a homeowner or pro. lucas

ds549

You can find a much better value in the Exmark. You don't need the speed, and the dixie's are over priced. the Kohler is a good engine.

Reply to
Steve Barker