O/T: Small Towns

Page 2 of 2
Ralph wrote:

It looks like a mall. I understand that it's an architectural experiment--one end is all apartments, there's shopping in the middle, and police station, hospital, and school at the other end, so people who live there and don't work in the mine don't have to go outside in the winter. It eventually outgrew the planned building so there are more apartment blocks and individual houses behind the part that you see there. Build to house workers for an iron mine. Population is about 2000.
--John
on 4/24/2008 8:55 AM Leon said the following:

You would get change from a quarter when buying a burger and a coke. Large Christmas toys were bought from the local Western Auto Store. Smaller ones from the local Woolworths. Kids earned money setting pins at the bowling alley. 10 cents per game, per player. Coke costs 5 cents per 10 ounce bottle plus 2 cents deposit. Pepsi costs the same, but had 2 more ounces per bottle.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

OKOKOKOKOkokokk reread the subject. It's "small towns." You could do all of the above in the big city. You are talking "the old days" not small towns. LOL

She was laughing so hard she was crying... said "it's all true"..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Now that you old farts have had your reminiscing session, lets talk about modern society.
A fist fight these days has every chance winding up with you getting shot.
Trying to initiate a fist fight these days has every chance winding up with you getting shot.
Look at someone the wrong way and you wind up getting shot.
You can get robbed and have the crap beat out of you while thirty pedestrians stand there and watch.
Look at another driver while motoring around realize that some road rage Neanderthal is chasing you.
You're afraid to ask one of the local girls out because you might get charged with harassment.
You ask one of the local girls out and her and brother and father beat the crap out of you.
You ask one of the local girls out and she beats the crap out of you. It isn't until you get out of the hospital that you realize how lucky you are the relationship never happened.
You wake up one morning and find out that you're newly painted white washed house has been targeted by graffiti artists.
Someone you eyeballed in the local supermarket followed you home and keyed your car with swastikas.
The repairmen who come to fix things at your house won't come anymore because their van keeps getting rifled.
Your home has been robbed three times so you buy a gun to protect yourself and the cops come and arrest you for owning a gun. While you're downtown getting book, someone breaks into your house and steals most everything of value that you had.
Gotta stop now. My paranoia is running rampant.

smoke"

The cross walks are death traps for anybody that attempts to cross, the streets have potholes everywhere and the street drains overflow during every rain storm.
*snip*
- some things that are likely true, in some places, but depressing as hell -
Thanks for pissing on the parade. I was enjoying the trip down memory lane.
Kate

By-product of living in a big city, it's almost always I hear or read about.

Yeah, I regretted hitting the send button two seconds after it was done.
who slipped the terd into the punch bowl?
wrote in message

By-product of living in a big city, it's almost always I hear or read about.

Yeah, I regretted hitting the send button two seconds after it was done.
--
I grew up in a small town, actually lived about 4 miles south of it.
Used to ride my horse, later my bike into town on the weekends.

What town in Cali, Kate?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
What town in Cali, Kate?
mac
--
Yreka!
In Siskiyou county.

LOL, I posted the below circa five years ago in this forum:
<start>
Late 50's and early 60's ... During dove season, and when there was no practice, I occasionally rode my buckskin mare, Nancy Hanks, to school carrying my 20ga Remington Model 11 shotgun with a couple boxes of shells in a shell vest. I tied the horse to the back fence with a halter and, because the lockers weren't big enough, brought the gun and game bag to woodshop for storage (OBWW).
Damn, how times have changed ...
</start>
Just imagine if someone today overheard you mention that your hunting vest was locked up in the car trunk at school. SWAT would lock the school down, confiscate everything in your room at home, and detain every member of your family, for starters.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
</start>
Just imagine if someone today overheard you mention that your hunting vest was locked up in the car trunk at school. SWAT would lock the school down, confiscate everything in your room at home, and detain every member of your family, for starters.
--

Funny out here I regularly see boys from about the age of 8 or 9 on up
riding their 4 wheelers out toward the river. A shotgun or a .22 strapped

Know the feeling ... none of our family homes are still standing, most falling prey to the widening of highways from two to four lanes. The "pitcher show" is nothing but walls with no roof, downtown area is more plywood than glass, and the football stadium is twice as big as the old school building, amply illustrating where priorities reside in today's culture.
"Progress" ... somehow always seems to end up contradicting its definition.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Unfortunately, unless the lotto smiles on me, it's unlikely ever to be. My health problems keep me tied pretty closely to the city. Ideally, I'd like to live in some nature preserve, but within 20 minutes travelling time of the medical facilities I need to survive. Don't think there's too many places like that around.

No problem, my cynical nature often expects the worst, but brightens my day when it doesn't happen. Hell, it's pretty much the same with my woodworking. I usually curse and swear my way through whatever I'm building, but I end up pretty satisfied when it's finished and decide that it was all worth the effort. :)
Unfortunately, unless the lotto smiles on me, it's unlikely ever to be. My health problems keep me tied pretty closely to the city. Ideally, I'd like to live in some nature preserve, but within 20 minutes travelling time of the medical facilities I need to survive. Don't think there's too many places like that around.
-- Umm.... you might consider looking at Tennessee! We have some spetacular medical facilities, and within 20 minuts of many of them, you can get a pretty nice place with some acreage.

No problem, my cynical nature often expects the worst, but brightens my day when it doesn't happen. Hell, it's pretty much the same with my woodworking. I usually curse and swear my way through whatever I'm building, but I end up pretty satisfied when it's finished and decide that it was all worth the effort. :)
-- I think I understand a little better now. I'm an old Irish gal that has a bit of a vocabulary m'salf ;D
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You only had one Wal-Mart. And the local pharmacy, grocery store, general store, and photography studio all went out of business around the same time.
The guys that work at Home Depot can still remember when there were three family owned hardware/building supply stores.
The thirteen year old with a criminal record for bringing nail clippers to school has a father who at age seventeen was caught speeding with booze and pot in the car and was given a rap on the noggin by the local deputy before being taken home to his parents as punishment.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

42. You could pick up enough bottles on the side of the road on the way home from school each day to buy a moon pie and an orange pop.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08