I like to use sponges but getting them clean and sanitary after usage
was another matter.
Then I remembered something I had almost forgotten.
Clean the sponge as you normally would then rinse to get out residual
soap, detergent, etc,
Place in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
Remove and place in top rack of dishwasher to drain.
Another case of reinventing the wheel.
Problem of putting a dry sponge into the microwave is that it probably
will not completely kill the germs. The microwave heats the material
present in the sponge. If there is nothing to adsorb the microwave
energy you will not get the germ killing heat.
It would probably be best to wet the sponge then put it in the
microwave. The steam from the little water present in the sponge will
kill the germs
Have a thermometer inside of the sponge - does it get hot inside ?
I suppose you have a weak microwave. You don't have to have the
pan of water in there - just the sponge standing on edge - we make
a triangle and they spin on the internal table. It boils the water
in the damp sponge and kills germs as well. Hot water with boiling
in the pan might not kill. Since 212 isn't hot enough for some.
And that is in the rapidly boiling water. Sponge isn't 212 unless it
stays at that temp for some time.
On 4/19/2015 11:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
What effect, if any, do the microwaves play in killing the bacteria?
Heating the water's fine, but what about irradiating them? (Last time I
used "irradiating" on this group was something like a decade ago and I
spelled it with an "e". This time, I checked Google to make sure I had the
What effect does putting your cell phone have on you brain when you hold
it up to your ear? ;~) I think it is the elimination of liquids that
does the deed. I am no expert but most living things require some water
to survive. I think if you boil those trace amounts of moisture out the
bacteria are goners. IMHO
On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 1:00:02 AM UTC-4, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Soak the sponge and stick it in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. If there is any soap in it, it will bubble, but they die down pretty quickly.
Let it cool, as it will be very hot. All nasties will be dead and you won't have wasted any water.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.