Not A Gloat

OK, maybe just a little.

This week I received by way of the nice man from the gub'ment a nearly bright and shiney, new (to me) Lufkin 6" combination square. It is a little stiff and will require disassembly and cleaning. Mostly a small amount of rubbing out the faces of the rule with some 600X (followed up with a hard block) and WD-40 (1). In all I figure 15 to 20 minutes.

I paid $18.03 for it. Comparable new (Starrett) would cost you $50-$60. Where did I find this sweet little gem at such low, low prices? eBay. All you have to do is throw down $20 on every combination square that comes up. Sooner or later you'll snag something and it'll follow you home.

My new Starrett 6" combo is being retired to the drawer for the next decade or two to allow it to vintage.

(1) Never use Scotch Bright or steel wool on the face of a rule. The trouble is they tend to dip down into the engraving and remove the crispness. Also, they take out the paint in the engraving and make the rule hard to read.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Never drop it from your truck, onto the road, and leave it there for 2 days thru rush hour traffic either.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

You do know you could have purchased a shinny new one made in China for less than you paid for that rusty used shoe scraper on Ebay. Of course you would have thrown American workers out of work, but hey that's the 'Murican way of doing things!

(wink)

Instead of the WD try a bit of PB Blaster it does a good job of removing rust.

Reply to
Rumpty

Now he tells me...

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Ha Ha! I paid less for a gen-u-whine Starret 6"

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I understand that at this time of year Ground Hog Asses are more plentiful than Mole Asses.....

Philski

Jock wrote:

Reply to
Philski

sigh... I know what you mean. I don't think I'll ever find another Starrett 12" 4-piece combo for $20 again.

Still, I look.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Athol !

(watson skurries off inta da booshes sose keeter kain't toss nunna da less 'spensive dirty ole chunksa cast ahr'n his way)

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)

Tom Watson

Every time I drive down Route 2 from Greenfield to Boston, I hafta read the sign that says that, out loud and slightly mispronounced. Passengers just LOVE that......

Jon Endres, PE

Have you ever gazed upon the basset hound visage of Laroy (L.S.) Starrett? I'm thinking, I don't care what century this guy was living in, I don't/can't believe he could ever have gotten laid.

Then again, maybe the man has no sexual appeal to me.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

you mean this guy?