Not a Gloat

Does not qualify tho I am pretty happy.

Found a lumber yard within an hour of my house today that I had heard about for the last 10 years, but always assumed it was some place else. The name of the yard is Kettle Moraine Hardwaoods so I assumed it was in the Kettle Moraie are of Southern Wisconsin. It is actually on the I94 frontage road in Racine Wisconsin. Much closer to me. I have been buying my lumber from a man in Gurnee who sells out of his house, great deals on domestics, basically $2.40 to $3.80 a BF for white/red oak, walnut and maple, but his selection is very limited.

So I visited Kettle Morain Hardwoods and picked out a nice pice of Bloodwood, a couple real nice pieces of Canarywood and 3 beautiful Walnut Burls from the shorts bin, all 2 to 4 feet long, 5 to 10 inchs wide and 4/4 to 5/4 plus 2 nice 6" x 5/4 curly maples 8 and 7 foot long, for about $80.

This is the type of place that has huge book matched planks all over, some nice crotches and burls. First time I saw $500 boards, while still carring fairly cheap racks of white and red oak for us normal woodworkers.

Not a gloat but made me damn happy. If you are in the Northern Illinois, Souther Wisconsin area, give them a try.

Neil Larson

Neil,

I can remember as a little kid going to Racine to visit cousin Noel Fonk and family. The big memory was coming over a bridge approaching Racine and passing a building with the Case eagle on top. We would have been coming from Kenosha.

Does the Case eagle still exist?

Reply to
DanG

What I remember was driving past Racine to Kenosha and sucking suds at 18 Y.O. teen bars.Best places where Thirsty Eye and Brat Stop.

Reply to
Lee

good supplier.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes it does, the sander was a nice bonus. I was absolutley drooling at the huge bookmatched pieces of Honey Locust, Sycamore, Walnut, Cherry and Mohagany on top of all the rest of the great lumber. Also, every single piece is priced, no BF calculator needed. Lots of helpful people working and they don't get whinny when you start unloading bins looking for just that one perfect piece.

Oh yeah, and the Brat Stop is still there and a great place for a brat and a beer and there is even a real live Dog N Suds a couple exits down the road.

Reply to
Neil Larson

Sun, Apr 15, 2007, 9:28pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Neil=A0Larson) doth proclaimeth: Does not qualify tho I am pretty happy.

At last, someone that understands what a gloat is not. Very definitely a first class warm fuzzy tho.

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
J T

You always have great sigs, but I bel;ieve this is the best so far.

Reply to
Neillarson

I've been going there for several years. My "real" office is in Menonomee Falls so I pick up a small load everytime I drive up.....from the St. Louis area. Thom

Reply to
Thom

Mon, Apr 16, 2007, 7:03am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Neillarson) doth sayeth: You always have great sigs, but I bel;ieve this is the best so far.

Thanks, I try. Feel free to use it. It didn't originate with me, and I don't recall where I saw it. It'd make a great T-shirt or bumper sticker.