Norm's Greek Revival Episode and New Tools

I was watching Norm to day and he pulled out this new tool for making evenly spaced holes for adjustable shelving. FINALLY. I was wondering when he was going to switch over to this jig rather than the monster that he uses with his plunge router. I have been using this Rockler jig for 10+ years.
And, What's up with this new saw blade that he has on his Unisaw. 4 or 5 teeth placed closely together followed by 4 or 5 teeth more widely separated. I suppose it is a type of general or combination blade but with a different tooth arrangement.

No NYW for me as the local PBS station is whining for money again. If they'd ask for money during shows like NYW, they might get my attention but why change programming?
My shelf pin jig is a piece of melamine coated MDF left over from a used kitchen cabinet........real inexpensive!
Gary
Same here - they've got their damned fund raiser going - around here it's 3 times a year. So, no NYW for 4 weeks. Four weeks for fund raising!!! Three times a year!! I wouldn't mind except that they left off on episode 7 and will pick up on 12. I asked them nicely several times to please not skip episodes. They said, oh, we'll rerun the whole season later this year. Well, they did. And guess what happened after episode 7? Yup - the next installment of money whining. Oh, how I wish there was another source for the NYW besides public TV.

bob wrote:

Down here a local heir with way too much money on their hands gave a big endowment trust to the local stations (radio and boobtube) and since, we have been much less imposed upon by the necessities of fundraising.
Another person made our local symphony much more independent of the (hopelessly corrupt) city council.
You should lobby the local bigwigs.
er
--
email not valid

Same problem...last weekend AND this weekend. Taking my shows OFF and replacing them with garbage will get 'em nowhere.

... or at least it gets them to having to run 3 beg-athons a year because they can no longer raise enough money in a single one. Seems like if people are watching a specific program at a specific time, the idea of pre-empting it for a full month would be a program director's worst nighmare since this would tend to drive those viewers away and they would be less likely to donate to the cause since their programming has been pre-empted. But then, I'm not a government bureaucracy, so I obviously don't fully grasp the benefits of replacing NYW and/or the Woodwright's shop with the "The Joys of Dining with Poodles", hosted by Miss Elizabeth Wainright and the Boston Society of Poodle lovers. Obviously that must bring in tons more money than catering to the preferences of the viewers they already had.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Seems to be the case.

PBS is not a government bureaucracy.
PBS has become largely dependent on Government money. In some ways that's worse.
Their programming choices while fundraising are probably influenced by some sort of marketing consultants, perhaps Harvard Business school graduates.
--

FF

Mark & Juanita wrote:

How much are their NYW viewers donating? (hint, hint)
Somebody inside is tallying up the dollars given according to whatever show is on at the time, and finds you wanting.
On radio (here, anyway) they don't usually replace the show, but the host for whatever show is on at any given time will stump for donations. I spose the telly is too inflexible (i.e., not live) to do that, but it's much easier for the host to incorporate it into the show.
Also, FWIW, they usually stop the telethon immediately when their target amount has been reached.
er
--
email not valid

It's pretty clear from the programming they run during beg-a-thon who it is that are opening up their pockets: old people :-). Around here anyway it's all f*ckin' Doo-Wop, low-impact excercise, and fluffy life management stuff. Whoever is watching the preempted programming apparently isn't ponying up...Or the management are a bunch of idiots. But really, what good are we doing bitching here?
would this be the blade http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pcrzor10rvu.html

I believe that is indeed the blade. Have you used it?
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:37:06 GMT, "Leon"

You two have been memorialized, by the way.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

LOL Don't tell me that you had not noticed that blade. :~)
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 03:54:26 GMT, "Leon"

I kinda did and I didn't. Do you know how it is when your dog starts going through the too-full garbage can and worrying every bit of trash to death? You hear it in the next room but at first it's just background noise and it doesn't register. She'll get through pretty much all of it before it dawns on you what's going on. Or so I've been led to understand.
Anyway, I noticed that there was something distinctive about the blade, but it didn't register. Also, blades aren't something I've been chronicling anyway, and I was searching for bigger game (the shelf pin jig, for example). It was your OP and Keith's followup that spurred me to action.
So, I kinda did and I didn't.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Actually I noticed the blade in the previous show also but it kinda did'nt register. You know how you see something and you really don't pay attention to it until..... I know exactly what you are talking about. LOL.
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:42:34 GMT, "Leon"

Shit! You mean it was in the Corner Table episode? Crap. Now I have to go back and look at it again (actually, that's not a chore), then recode the two episode files, recode the Saw Accessories file, uplaod them...whew! This is starting to be like work.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Yeah I am pretty sure it was. I was so over come with the finish on the corner table that my memory became corrupt and forgot.
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:08:18 GMT, "Leon"

I reviewed the episode and it was clearly there. I fixed all the files and uploaded them.
Now, about that project. I know a bunch of you guys had apoplexy over that finish in particular (the corner table) and Norm's finishes generally, but in all fairness, finishing is such an individual preference, I don't see the point of getting worked up over someone else's personal choices.
More to the specific point, my reaction to the corner table wood every time I saw a preview of it and then in the actual episode itself was, "good lord, what butt ugly wood." Although I don't have HDTV, I do have a big screen, reasonably well adjusted for color rendition, and I just did not get it. The wood was UGLY.
Now maybe the grain was pretty, but how would anyone get past that color. And here's the crux of it--I should say colors--there were several. I can't imagine any one of you truly believe that celebrating the obviously and horribly different shades of color in that table top would have been a preferable alternative to the evening out he did with the stain.
Now, in case anyone thinks I'm just a namby-pamby sort of guy who doesn't know how to express an opionion, that wood was UGLY, even before Norm perpetrated whatever sin you guys think he commited on it.
I know there has been quite a movement in the old wood circles over river recovered logs a century or more old. I think I saw the very episode of This Old House where Goodwin Lumber was featured, and I've seen several since--some Florida river wood, some Georgia river wood, some Lake Superior wood. They all looked like regular wood, just old growth. Not this dam wood (not misspelled--it came from a dam). And it was UGLY!!!!! I did not see the point.