Norm's Socks

Before New Yankee Workshop came on today, an episode of This Old House had the crew in Bermuda working on a project. Norm took a tour of a local general contractor's home, and for some strange reason, they had him dressed in pale yellow shorts, knee high dark socks, and dress shoes. He looked like an idiot. Maybe typical for Bermuda, but I bet he was glad when that segment was over. O.

Reply to
Oregon

You've never been to Bermuda have you

Reply to
Mike G

Reply to
Mark

Hi Oregon,

Norm doesn't have that many outfits so when something new shows up, most of us are pleasantly amused. My wife always comments on his attire. When TOH did the project in England, he always seemed to be wearing a gray sweater - this overlapped with several NYW shows when he introduced the project by touring a local English antique shop - in that same sweater. That sweater showed up again & again...

We are grateful when Norm "busts out" - not to metion Tommy & the guys.

L-Rod could add a fashion category to his extensive Norm site:

loutent

Where can I buy socks like that? I've looked around the Delta site and I can't find anything like them. I hope they aren't discontinued like the laser guide on his miter saw. And does anyone know where I can get his shoes as well? (I've already acquired enough flannel that I can do some basic projects.)

Reply to
Gordon Airporte

|Oregon wrote: | |> Before New Yankee Workshop came on today, an episode of This Old House had |> the crew in Bermuda working on a project. Norm took a tour of a local |> general contractor's home, and for some strange reason, they had him dressed |> in pale yellow shorts, knee high dark socks, and dress shoes. He looked |> like an idiot. Maybe typical for Bermuda, but I bet he was glad when that |> segment was over. |> O. |> |> | |Where can I buy socks like that?

Years ago an idle rich acquaintance of mine, for want of something to do, would drive to Canada to buy knee high socks to complement his shorts. Check with Lee-Valley. [g]

Reply to
Wes Stewart

That could be a $500 sweater :O)

Reply to
Keith

You have never worked as a TV presenter it appears.

It is very common for presenters of programs to _always_ wear the exact same outfit, particularly when they film 'insert' pieces.

Like most shows the NYW is not filmed in the order it is shown. Ever seen him standing outside the workshop introducing the show in the middle of a snowstorm? They film in New England during the winter. It is dark here when they stop working.

It would look kinda odd if Norm kept changing outfits in the middle of a show. If he always wears a red check shirt he can do the intros and endings for all the shows in a season at the same time.

If you watch any Richard Attenborogh wildlife documentaries he is always wearing the same blue shirt and kahkis. If you watch carefully you can see him lose or gain 10 years from shot to shot.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Hmmm, I wear white jockeys every day. I'm going to look into getting a TV contract. I'm already prepared for it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I remember Norm from an early Bob Villa episode as a gangling young fella with his butt-crack showing...I thought he was the plumber. But, seriously folks, I shook hands with Norm at a woodworking show a few years back, and he didn't have the callous edge to his hand. Obvious to me, he doesn't work much wood with those soft paws. But then, the point of NYW is the sale of plate joiners and plastic paints, neither of which a real woodworker would use. Yet, I am a faithful proponent of Norm. Even though one member of my past wive's club would say I only watch the show to ridicule, Norm is a true propagator of the Living Trade. I always learn something, even if it is how not to do something. DAC

Reply to
D. A. Clark

Welcome back DA :)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Thanks Rob... I thought that perhaps I had stayed away long enough to forget and be forgotten, but I do recognize a few names. You making any sawdust? dac

Reply to
D. A. Clark

I'll repeat Rob's welcome, good to see you back DA. I've missed your carving posts.

Reply to
Greg Millen

I think it depends on your application. I could have used oil and wax on my library panelling but since it is next to the hot tub room I was not sure that the finish would be very durable with the humidity changes.

So we applied a modern polyurethane finish, and the result is pretty good. With 150 sqft of surface I was not going to do 10 coats of laquer anyway. If you use the right brushes etc you can definitely get a great result that is far more durable than laquer, looks just as good and takes much less time to apply.

Norm does have a point here...

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Yeah, I'm makin' a bit, but not enough. I moved back to Canada a few years back and still haven't settled down.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

conjunction with the TOH project) was something to see. He is sitting in, I believe, Trafalgar square, in full, format suit and bowler hat. Alas, he did bail out of them for the usual shop attire though. THere was one episode of NYW I recall (and I am sure that others can name the date and title) where he has build a number of closet organizers. At the close of the show, the camera is inside the closet, looking down a row of identical, red flannel shirts. Norm pops into the closet, fingers through them, and with a sigh of satisfaction, picks out the "perfect" one. One of the things I *like* about TOH and NYW are those bits of self-mocking humor that pick up. I still think that there would be big bucks in rentals of a set of "blooper" reels for the show. I suspect there are quite a few moments where giddiness overtakes everyone. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Absolutely embarrassing........Concerned about the fashion of woodworkers. I believe you should be banned from even OWNING tools. :-)

Reply to
Victor Frost

If that is the one I saw it was when he wanted to build an English garden bench, which he found in a public place in a London square. Big Ben was in the background so the square would have been Parliment Square, outside of the Palace of Westminster or in other words the Houses of Parliment (House of Lords and House of Commons - me being the latter). It is not far from Scotland Yard, Downing Street and so on. If you are really interested see the map:

Bobby Bewl

^^^^^^ Man...I have been programming computers TOO long. I apparently so programmed to type "format" that I cannot type "formal"!

There you go....I had a feeling, just after I fired that note off that it was Parliment Square. Since I live in the backwood hills of Tennessee (in what seems like a feudal Citystate at times), my bits of exposure to the great City of London have only come from brief glimpses on the "magic picture box". Not had the pleasure of traipsing about and exploring as of yet. Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

LOL

good one, Dave. I liked that.