NEW Woodworking web site

Hi, I just got my new woodworking web site up and running. Please check us out
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 23, 10:59 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Pretty neet, If I may ask, what is with all the advertising? Is this from the hosting company (free site?). Just seemed like a lot of ads/ banners and thought I would ask.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks, guys, I will cut back on the ads....thats a good point, what else am I missing. What more to I need to put in place of the ads?
Add pictures here
✖
randyswoodshoop wrote:

Something that I always like, Randy, is consistent navigation. You have a boilerplate nav bar on the first page, and you use components of it throughout.
But when I design a site, I usually use the first page nav bar (vertical, horizontal) and leave it there on each page, unless I'm strapped for space. It gives the user more choices with fewer clicks.
Tanus
--
http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop /

Add pictures here
✖

I am not super web design saavy but do you get paid for the ads?
I will be honest and say I didnt spend a ton of time on the site but when I went to the furniture section I thought I would see images of your work but only found plans in the page or two I went to. As another post said, it seemed like a lot of hops to get to a destination but I can see that happening when you want to get to a specific bit of content.
I will bop back over but my initial thing was the amount of ads and banners. I am not opposed to some ads (though I would rather see none) but when they get distracting its tough. If you are getting paid for them I can see where getting carried away would be easy. I personally have NEVER clicked on an ad embedded in a site, that said, I am sure they are everywhere (not just your site) because a lot of people do click on them.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

Fair enough, ad I said I will cut back on the adds and start to add pictures of my projects. I have also tried to input as many free plan links as I could find quality plans. As I build the site, I hope to put my own plans on here, And yes you get paid for ads on the site but not alot, but it does help to pay for the hosting sevices. Thanks for your input..Im always trying to improve.
Add pictures here
✖

Seems like a nice start. I don't mind the ads so much, as long they aren't popups or the kind that expand over the content...I don't return to sites with those. Just curious: are you allowed to post those reprints of articles from Wood magazine? Aren't they copyrighted?
Paul F.
Add pictures here
✖

Content.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:59:04 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I hope you're not paying for hosting service. The first page took over a minute to load so I didn't explore the rest of the site.
Site design rule #1: response to URL in 8 seconds, page complete in 30 seconds.
Even cheap hosting ($18/year) is much faster: http://www.wizardanswers.com/liquidvideorepair.html
John
Add pictures here
✖

all the pages loaded fast for me, I went to several,it was the ads that got me but it may be a free site
Add pictures here
✖
do you sell central boiler classic? if so in what state? I'm a C.B. dealer. ross
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 23, 7:59 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Pictures tell the story better than words. Too many hops to get to the point. PHOTOS, PHOTOS,and MORE PHOTOS. Size them accordingly and make them clear!
I'll have more later.
MJ
Add pictures here
✖

absolute positioning of items (not generally needed or recomended) mean that there is only one text size that works. this is then difficult for those who like or need larger type sizes.
As an example on <http://nokeswoodworks.com/eacf-book.html the text is badly formatted <br soft> is the same as <br>. There is no need to format line length.
the HTML is badly broken to check you can use http://validator.w3.org /
Here is part of the report for that page
This page is not Valid (no Doctype found)! Result: Failed validation, 40 Errors
The following missing or conflicting information caused the validator to perform guesswork prior to validation. If the guess or fallback is incorrect, it may make validation results entirely incoherent. It is highly recommended to check these potential issues, and, if necessary, fix them and re-validate the document. No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.
None of the standards sources gave any information on the character encoding labeling for this document. Without encoding information it is impossible to reliably validate the document. As a fallback solution, the "UTF-8" encoding was used to read the content and attempt to perform the validation, but this is likely to fail for all non-trivial documents.
Read the FAQ entry on character encoding for more details and pointers on how to fix this problem with your document. Unable to Determine Parse Mode!
The validator can process documents either as XML (for document types such as XHTML, SVG, etc.) or SGML (for HTML 4.01 and prior versions). For this document, the information available was not sufficient to determine the parsing mode unambiguously, because: • the MIME Media Type (text/html) can be used for XML or SGML document types • No known Document Type could be detected • No XML declaration (e.g <?xml version="1.0"?>) could be found at the beginning of the document.
As a default, the validator is falling back to SGML mode. No DOCTYPE found! Attempting validation with HTML 4.01 Transitional.
The DOCTYPE Declaration was not recognized or is missing. This probably means that the Formal Public Identifier contains a spelling error, or that the Declaration is not using correct syntax. Validation has been performed using a default "fallback" Document Type Definition that closely resembles "HTML 4.01 Transitional", but the document will not be Valid until you have corrected this problem with the DOCTYPE Declaration.
Learn how to add a doctype to your document from our FAQ.
? Top
Validation Output: 40 Errors Line 3, Column 0: no document type declaration; implying "<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>". <html> ?
The checked page did not contain a document type ("DOCTYPE") declaration. The Validator has tried to validate with a fallback DTD, but this is quite likely to be incorrect and will generate a large number of incorrect error messages. It is highly recommended that you insert the proper DOCTYPE declaration in your document -- instructions for doing this are given above -- and it is necessary to have this declaration before the page can be declared to be valid. Line 21, Column 82: there is no attribute "TOPMARGIN". …="#0000FF" vlink="#800080" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0"> ?
You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not support that attribute for this element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error message for further information.
How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute, (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this attribute. If you received this error when using the <embed> element to incorporate flash media in a Web page, see the FAQ item on valid flash. Line 21, Column 97: there is no attribute "LEFTMARGIN". …k="#800080" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0"> ?
You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not support that attribute for this element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error message for further information.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Not bad, Randy. It's a good start, and I am looking forward to additions.
I use firefox with ad blocker, and the part that says "please visit my blog" and "Randy's Woodshop Blog" has the text overlapping each other.
So I checked your web page on an HTML validator, using http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnokeswoodworks.com and it found 81 errors on the home page.
Don't take this harshly. I had a page with 200 errors the first time I tried it. It's a sobering experience. :-)
(looking at the source page)
I guess you can blame Yahoo's sitebuilder software. :-( I'm not sure the best way to fix it. I edit the raw HTML myself. But that may not be something you can do easily.
Add pictures here
✖