New type of particle board for cabinet construction ????

The wife forbid me to make the kitchen cabinets so she dragged me to Lowes. The kitchen guy there was telling me that the stuff the cabinets are made of is very different than regular particle board they used to use. He told me he was at a sales demo and they took a piece of the new stuff and placed it submerged in water for a full day with no sign of absorbtion. Any comments from anyone ??? mikey
Add pictures here
โœ–
I would want a sample of that to try soaking it myself. If it is made of compressed sawdust I don't see how the wood part would not soak up water and swell up as any decent compressed wood would do. Unless it is completely impregnated with some hardened plastic resin.

Add pictures here
โœ–
Variant of this stuff?
http://oikos.com/products/wood-plastics/isobord /

Add pictures here
โœ–
Maybe something like this
http://www.brims.com.au/brimsboard.htm
--

Regards

S๘ren
,-._|\
โœ–
Medex (States Industries?) is water "resistant". I'm not sure if anyone makes a "water proof".
UA100
Add pictures here
โœ–
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I've seen reference to a green colored water resistant and a black waterproof on a UK site. Whether they're available in the US and whether that's a through-coloring or just surface coloring I have no idea. Nor do I know what standards of "resistant" and "proof" were applied.

--
--John
โœ–
J. Clarke wrote:

I would suspect that the color (colour) is from the resins used to bond the material which would be all that you could do to make a water resistent/proof particleboard.
UA100
Add pictures here
โœ–
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I would suspect that as well, but what I suspect and what is true are not always the same--it could be a color-code.

--
--John
โœ–

I've been hearing stories of borg salesmen making claims of total immersion proof particle board for years now.
a lot of what I do for a living involves building and installing kitchen cabinets in residential remodels. a lot of the time what I'm tearing out is borg crap. I've never seen any of it that showed signs of being particularly water resistant.
you'd think that waterproof particleboard would be such a good thing that it would quickly overtake the sheet goods industry.
my assumption is that the borg sales drones are simply lying.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Bridger:

It is a good thing but price usually drives these things and what's sold is the cheapest available.

I give them the benefit of the doubt and think they are all trustful but as stoopid as a bag of hammers.
UA100
Add pictures here
โœ–
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Difference between a used car salesmen and a Borgroid is that the used car salesman _knows_ when he is lying.

--
--John
โœ–

As an FYI     Medex is -quite- water resistant. I've had a 2' x 2' piece of this material out in the weather since last summer. Hasn't swelled up more than a few thousands of an inch at any time. That's .003 for you math nuts. About the size of a human hair. The GC I was doing work for said it was waterproof and I had to experiment with it. He was hapy to hear that he was correct. We were using it for high pressure laminates for kitchens. It did warp some though, after a fashion. Wasn't immediate.     On another note...the new "Wheatboard" swelled up to twice its size in practically no time at all.
O.K Then, Russ P.
Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote: