New Mitre Saw Justification

About a week ago I was using my 15 year old inexpensive Ryobi mitre saw and the blade was spinning for up to a minute after the cut. Clearly a problem with the electronic brake. After explaining to SWMBO that this was very dangerous and the limitations of a saw that couldn't handle compound mitres, I ordered a Delta 36-255LR 12" TwinLaser miter from Amazon. Cost was $235 out the door ((Amazon.com product link shortened)) for a reconditioned model which comes close to the price several people got at Lowes closeouts.
Last night I decided I'd try to take apart the old Ryobi to see what was broken. A Google search before starting the disassembly yielded a sentence that said something like "three of the last electronic brake problems I saw turned out to be loose arbor bolts". I laughed at the stupid mistake others must have made and walked out to the garage. Five minutes later my old mitre saw, with its tightened arbor bolt, was working perfectly.
No update planned to SWMBO. Anxiously waiting arrival of new, and ummm ..., less dangerous saw.
-- Mark

Oh well! You got away with it.... this time :) Nice pickup on the Delta.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 70 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner - Karcher NT361 Dust Extractor - Ozito Electronic Ear Muffs - Festool TDK Cordless Drills - Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set - Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps ------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Morin wrote:

((Amazon.com product link shortened))

Snip

I suspect that the electronic brake was really working better than you thought if it was able to loosen the arbor nut while braking.