New House/Shop becoming a reality

giganews.com:

Let's be honest - truth is subjective. I don't care about where someone puts their penis, whether they have one, or even if they are one, as long as they can work with people and get the job done.

As a project manager once said to the room full of us, "We have to get this stuff done and get the CO. Make the decisions, get it done, we'll give you your beatings later."

RicodJour

Not the point, Han ... makes no difference which period of history, that those who will condescend to outright lie to your face don't make good representatives is inarguable, to knowingly ignore that fact is despicable.

Reply to
Swingman

Han wrote the following:

We only have truth in advertising, and they don't even enforce that.

Reply to
willshak

Northing subjective about a lie. It is or it isn't. But a liar is still scum and cannot be trusted. Han is talking about our AG soon to be Senator. If he can lie about serving in Vietnam when he did not, he can lie about other things. Do you want him making decisions that affect your life and the rest of the country? Sorry, I'll never believe a word he says and will never trust him.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:0eydnbk2Kcwh8UjRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I agree completely, Ed. But this was (for you CTers) a choice between 2 bad candidates. I would have hated this woman to be the Senator. But it is your choice ...

Reply to
Han

Swingman wrote in news:J-WdnYts28eT-0jRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yep, but this McMahon was a worse choice IMO. Glad I didn't have to make the choice ...

Reply to
Han

Simply proves my original point ... an informed electorate, with skin in the game other than lip service to a "sacred cow" concept, would have not been put in that position.

Throughout human history it has been these 'sacred cows' that have wreaked havoc on man's attempt to govern himself.

Reply to
Swingman

_u-

Depends on the lie, doesn't it? Bill Clinton's "I did not have sex with that woman" was, strictly speaking, not a lie. Everybody in the world would consider a BJ to be sex, but that's not the definition. That's what I meant. If people believe what they say, even if it turns out to be wrong, is that a lie? If you interpret something one way, and someone else interprets it another, where's the lie?

Of course that is your prerogative, and I understand completely, though I do not know the details of the guy you're talking about. But I do not think we are in a situation where we must eliminate all liars from holding public office, or any job for that matter. The potential pool would be mighty slim indeed.

I'm not looking for a saint to hold office, I'm looking for someone to be effective and not tear stuff down instead of building it up. My parents used to lie to me all of the time. "Are we there yet?!" "Almost. Just a little while longer." In some situations, in hindsight, that was certainly a lie, but it got me to shut up and was for the greater good. I don't hold that against them.

We are in such a situation. We need to be told the truth about the economy, the deficit, etc., but we don't need to be told the truth about who's banging who, who was the greater war hero, or any of that. It's not applicable. It's irrelevant and distracting, and that is what this country seems to be focusing on - being distracted so we don't have to face the big issues.

I don't particularly care if your Senator-to-be got caught drunk driving (as long as he didn't kill someone), banged an intern, is a closeted gay, or any other such nonsense. If the guy is an a-hole who is an obstructionist and will vote along party lines regardless of what the majority of his constituents want, well, I would consider bringing back tar and feathering.

We need to move on from the nonsense.

RicodJour

No it does not.

Reply to
Robatoy

Snip

He has bigger things to worry about, such as how can he annex the first floor of the house to increase the size of his shop...before his wife gets the same idea about her need to expand her activity area and annexes the Sudetenland.

Daummmmmmm thanks for giving me some ideas. LOL

Reply to
Leon

My mother would not use such language. My father, well, he would have prefaced it with, Godammit! ;)

Ah, I see. You have never in your life lied. Got it. Tell me, was it painful pulling the nails out of your feet and palms?

RicodJour

Ah, then by your definition gay sex is oxymoronic. I think you'll find that you're the only one on the planet, other than BJ Clinton, who uses such a narrow definition of "sex".

Reply to
krw

Yes, but all the uprights are merely toenailed in, I believe from one side only. A proper gust of wind would pull everything but the sill plate up.

The most common items I've seen are the Simpson HD and HDA holddowns. The Jbolt nut holds it down to the sill and lags go into the uprights. Strap ties keep the top cap on the uprights, twisted ties keep the rafters on the caps, etc. I was just surprised to see nothing of the sort on his house in what I thought was Hurricane Alley.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Some folks are saying that there will be a culling of those pests within the next couple of years. We shall see, if the Obamunists don't sink us first.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Nov 6, 5:47=A0pm, RicodJour wrote: =A0

Where did I make such a claim? You like making up shit, eh? My mistake, I keep forgetting you're a troll.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Han" wrote

The choices for both Senator and Governor were very bad this time around. Did little good, but I voted for independents.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

_u-

It is not my definition, it is the idiom. 'Sex' and 'have sex' are two different things.

sex =E2=80=82/s=C9=9Bks/ =E2=80=94Idiom

  1. to have sex, to engage in sexual intercourse.

Other definitions use words like vaginal to also restrict the defintion.

Bill Clinton is no dummy and he was treading a fine line, but he did not lie in that specific answer. Yes, of course, everyone knows he was playing with words, and he was using his superior knowledge of the language in an attempt to cover up his intern-ing. In other words, he knew the question that was being asked, knew that his answer did not _technically_ constitute a lie in answer to that question - and also that he was not answering the question the way almost anyone else would answer it.

That's my point. He lied and he didn't lie, but it doesn't matter to me as it was and is between him and his wife. There was a Prime Minister of France, forget which one - maybe Jacques Chirac, when confronted by a reporter about whether a particular woman was his mistress, responded, "Yes, what of it?" That was the start and end of the 'scandal'. No stupid 24/7 coverage, no investigations, no moralizing - no distraction from real issues.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news:047848c7-4f7e-4e7c-a0c2- snipped-for-privacy@t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

It was Georges Pompidou, and both his wife and his mistress were at his funeral.

Reply to
Han

those are the ones we keep. we throw the rest back.

all my neighbors have horses or burros/donkeys, which are bigger, smellier, and except for dawn when it's feeding time, usually much quieter than dogs.

Reply to
chaniarts

Thanks, Leon!

I got a real chuckle out of that. If I spent a day/night with you, then Karl, I would probably be in such a good mood that I would just come on back home. Just tell ol' Sis I had a flat...

Just kidding... kinda...

When are you expecting the house to be finished (real time, not contractor projections) ?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41