New House/Shop becoming a reality

Page 4 of 5

Again? But the answer is no. I was shocked to see no ties in the house.

I thought I did, but I don't build homes. There appear to be far more types of shear walls than I'd been aware of.

I've never seen one which wasn't tied down with thick steel to the foundation, and most of those I've seen were steel or aluminum.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
On 11/5/2010 1:18 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Take a look at the pictures again and you should see that the sill plates are bolted to the foundation every 48" ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

He has bigger things to worry about, such as how can he annex the first floor of the house to increase the size of his shop...before his wife gets the same idea about her need to expand her activity area and annexes the Sudetenland.
Daummmmmmm thanks for giving me some ideas. LOL

Yes, but all the uprights are merely toenailed in, I believe from one side only. A proper gust of wind would pull everything but the sill plate up. <g>
The most common items I've seen are the Simpson HD and HDA holddowns. The Jbolt nut holds it down to the sill and lags go into the uprights. Strap ties keep the top cap on the uprights, twisted ties keep the rafters on the caps, etc. I was just surprised to see nothing of the sort on his house in what I thought was Hurricane Alley.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5143374142/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5143374142/in/photostream/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5142769415/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5142769415/in/photostream/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5143374922/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5143374922/in/photostream/lightbox /
Nice ! ! ! Lots of square foots of shingles on that roof!
wrote

Thanks...
yeah,,,, and fortunately the builder started using a 30 year shingle vs a 20 year shingle on my home. But our old home had an aluminum life time roof...I hate to leave that behind.

They're doing a few steel roofs around here....plug-ugly, me thinks. I have seen some interesting tile roof steel lookalikes at home shows, but those are stupid money. Again, so much of a roofing job is in the installation...IOW, I'd take a properly installed 20-year- over a shoddily slapped on 30 year shingle any day. That nice wide overhang of yours ought to keep that blazing burning bastard away from your windows in summer time.
On 11/03/2010 09:41 AM, Leon wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5143374142/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5143374142/in/photostream/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5142769415/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5142769415/in/photostream/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5143374922/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5143374922/in/photostream/lightbox /
Suggestion: structured wiring.
http://www.swhowto.com /
- Doug

Included, with 15 drops plus home security ;~)

Actually should be going in today.

Excellent. So I guess we can expect the live video feed to be up and running tomorrow. Of course that's necessary so we can keep track of the project. Please ask the builder to put in a speaker on each floor and a remotely controlled laser pointer so we can point out things to the workers. If they can put in a high powered laser pointer, maybe Robatoy or Mac could work some CNC magic so we could leave written messages for the guys when they arrive in the morning. They shouldn't mind the help, right? ;)
Good going Leon! I can't imagine what it would be like to have that much room to work whenever I wanted. Years ago I had a large rented space with a small office attached that I ran my business out of for a few years. Moving everything back home and having only a 12X16 shop to work in is painful.
Since it must also serve as storage for materials and a staging area for the projects there isn't any room in there.
I'll bet you and Kim are as happy as two newlyweds. < For different reasons!! ;^) >
Congrats on everything. The house, the shop, being a good Dad, and doing a find job raising good kids. That goes for Kim, too!
Robert

Thank you Robert! Finally we will have enough room for guests to spend the night, so when y'all are in town you need to plan on spending a night. Then there would be the night at Swingman's house, then you can visit your sister, in that order. ;~)

Are you guys going to get biker jackets with crossed chisels under a saw blade patches? Hmmm...making up Wreck patches isn't a bad idea.
On 11/5/2010 4:54 PM, Leon wrote:

Let's get Marlowe in there too ... he wants to come down when it's warmer than in NY, but not hot, which means Feb or March ...
... otherwise known as GUMBO weather!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

i think you'll find that people from the north who visit the south during the winter tend to stay around. i always ask northeners to visit during july/aug.
regards, charlie phx, az

My brother went down to Phoenix in the summer twelve years ago and he's still there. He might be your neighbor. Do you have a neighbor with numerous trucks, cars, motorcycles, four dogs and he's always working on something - usually loudly? That's him.
RicodJour wrote:

those are the ones we keep. we throw the rest back.
all my neighbors have horses or burros/donkeys, which are bigger, smellier, and except for dawn when it's feeding time, usually much quieter than dogs.

I just realized why you need the extra large home: You built your own bedroom castle...I mean "set".
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Thanks, Leon!
I got a real chuckle out of that. If I spent a day/night with you, then Karl, I would probably be in such a good mood that I would just come on back home. Just tell ol' Sis I had a flat...
Just kidding... kinda...
When are you expecting the house to be finished (real time, not contractor projections) ?
Robert