Need sources for free or VERY cheap wood

Page 2 of 2
Just don't leave a trail of sawdust leading to your garage door. DAMHIKT!!

Boy, I never even realized all these sources, I am glad I found this newsgroup. Thanks for all the great ideas
Rich
I have never paid more than $1/bf for wood from downed trees. Look for building sites and talk to the foreman. Ask if they can leave the logs in 8' lengths. Get to know a local sawyer. Got some poplar and some very highly figured QS white oak.
Montyhp

Any
Well of all the wood stashed in my barn, the cheapest came from auctions. And to further qualify that, the cheapest of the cheapest came from auctions on cold/rainy days when the wood was back behind a barn or something which of course, requires a little extra work. My non-scientific observation is that if it's cold and rainy, you'll pay a lot less than if it's a nice cool, dry fall day.
I once bought a pile of what looked like crap-wood but the bottom 15 boards were birdseye like I had never seen. Paid a whopping $3 for the pile and turned around and gave the crapwood to a guy for helping me load the other stuff. Laughed all the way home<G>.
I've got a lot of nice wood by hooking up with people who burn wood. I help a guy once a year. He burns about 10 cords a year. I help him split and stack. In return I take a pickup load for my meager needs and get to scrounge for burls and crotches. Got a lot of fiddle-back maple one year from it and many burls. Again - work required.
Pallets are a good source but getting rid of the nails and such can be a pain. It's near impossible to pull nails from most pallets since their driven into the wood green (around here it's oak). By the time you get them the wood has a pretty good hold on'em. Plus if I were going to use this as a source, I'd sure invest in a metal detector.
That's my .02 worth, ymmv. Remember, nothing's "Free". jb

WENT dumpster diving today, Got LOTS of useable wood