free standing wood stove brands

DutchWest vs. Regency vs.Lopi vs Avalon vs. Lennox Country Collection vs.Country Stoves. How different are they really, one from another? Will really appreciate references to reviews, or personal experiences. Thanks.

Reply to
Mybel

Look for a unit with a BTU output no greater or less than your heating needs. Look for unit with a lifetime warranty on the fire box (Pacific Energy for example). Units with catalytic system burn more efficently but the part needs to be replaced over time (could be up to

200.00). Non-catalytic units with a secondary burning system is almost as good as the previous. I have a Jotul unit at home and a Vermount Castings at the cabin. Both over 20 yrs old and like new. 2-3000 dollars per unit. Next door has a acorn unit the same age, good as new for 1/2 the money.
Reply to
jim

I have a Lopi Leyden. Only had this a few months and don't know about the others. I really like the top loading feature and the pull out removable ash tray. The Leyden claims to take logs up to 21" but that is hard to do. You can put in one log that size if the firebox is empty and you put it through the front doors and work it in diagonal in the firebox, but then any other wood has to be much smaller. Practical log size is 16-18" (~7" max width) via the top load. The top load works well unless the clothes dryer or range hood fan is on ,then I get some smoke in the house. I don't have an outside air intake vent yet which may help. The Leyden also claims a 12 hour burn time. After 12 hrs the stove will be slightly warm to the touch with a few embers left but not enough to restart the fire. Practical burn time is about 8-9 hours for me but I am burning mostly cottonwood and some oak and pine.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

I have a DutchWest and am very satisfied with it. However, I think Jim's comment bears a lot of weight. My DutchWest is in my cabin and is the smallest model they make. But it is still a little more than I need for the size of the cabin, the result being that it often overheats the cabin and I have to open a window. Not the heater's fault, but mine for getting too big of a stove. I've found that being selective with the wood I burn (lower btu) helps a lot with the problem.

KC

Reply to
KC

I assume these are both free-standing units. If you were looking at fireplace inserts, which manufacturer would you go with? Jotul makes some impressive inserts that I've seen.

Reply to
KLS

My brother has a Pacific Energy insert - Vista Model. Wicked unit. Lifetime on the fire box + blower. / glass wash system and he burns low (smolder) all the time with very little in the liner come clean out time.

Reply to
jim

Interesting! This is a brand I haven't encountered, so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for posting this.

Reply to
KLS