Need some help from you Advanced wood men/women please

Page 1 of 4

I'm 45 and just a novice woodworker and have finally got some extra cash to rid myself of my "bench top" table saw that the wife got me for Christmas 8 yrs ago....boy I think I did things on that thing that would amaze even you pro woodworkers. The wife says I deserve an upgrade (gee thanks hunny..lol) Anyway I've checked at my local Harbor Freight and to be honest their selection was way less than what I thought it would be. I checked at Sears and of course they stock the CRAFTSMAN brand name, and have what I thought to be a pretty good selection in my price range of about $500.00 but not more than $600.00....now they do have what they call the "professional" model at $1000.00 but I really don't want to spend that much....wow. Anyway, if you guys/gals could give me some sort of guidance on this I'd love to hear the pro's and con's.of what you think, or your suggestions. You can mail me directly of post here and I'll check for replies....thanks so very much for your help.
Paul

At that price range I would suggest looking at Grizzly. (www.grizzly.com) Lot of machine for the money and excellent support. I am sure there are others, this would just be my first suggestion. I am pretty sure you will be hard pressed to find anyone here that would speak bad of Grizzly.
Better yet, if you can keep an eye on Grizzly they do have some pretty significant sales from time to time.
Chris

You are not ready for an upgrade. If you are considering stuff from Harbor Freight, you are not in the market for a piece of quality equipment. Neither is your budget.
What you will get for that money is a saw that is better than what you have, but will leave you want in more in a year or two, maybe only a month or two. Save a bit more and get a Delta, Jet Grizzly, etc with a Beisemeyer or Unifence or equal. That will be the saw you will be using 25 years from now. Plan to spend $750 and up for the last saw you will ever buy.

Not necessary.
I have a Delta contractors saw I spend around $300 on. Works like a champ. I'm willing to bet the stuff (finished furniture) that comes out the other side of my saw is better if not equally good as those that own $750 saws.
I have been to some websites of woodworkers that have the $750 + saws and all they make is CRAP.

45 + 25 = 70
Think he will be using the saw at 70???
wrote in message

years of mostly inactivity. I earn my money doing research, and my boss is almost 80, but still going very strong.
I may or may not get a "better" tablesaw sometime, who knows when I will retire ...
--
Best regards
Han

Checked out my web site did you? This is true of table saws, cameras, golf clubs, cookware, etc. You still need skill. Sounds like you have it; good for you. That said, it is more convenient, possibly faster, and yes, there is a feeling of satisfaction that comes from using quality accurate tools. I could drive a Yugo and get to work every day, but prefer my Buick with all the powered features.
I like being able to move the Biesemeyer fence, line up the cursor, and lock it in place and KNOW is is going to cut at the stated dimension, every time. And know that if I rip 1, 10, 20, or 50 boards, it is till locked in the same place.

Sure, why not? I know of one guy that is 80 and still using his. You aren't prejudiced against older people are you? Shees, I just turned 60 last week so should I turn in my tools?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I was simply making the point that the quality of product is not driven by the size of the TS price tag, but rather by the quality of the craftsman.
If I believed the old "you have to have the $1000 TS" attitude, I would never have tried this awesome hobby. Sure a $1000 TS would be nice, but IT IS NOT NECESSARY.

I was NOT referring to you, but the attitude of many.
--

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
news:fgwZe.4$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net...

Saying you need a $1000 TS to be a better woodworker is like saying if you buy a $1000 microphone you'll be a better singer --
World Traveler wrote:

I liken it to student violin or similar...initially, there's no need for a Strad for a beginner, but if there is real talent, at some point the tool can become a limiting factor...

====================Gosh I am waiting for my 1st social Secuirty check to hit the mailbox in a few weeks... (qualifies me as old I guess)...and I still use a Crapsman Bandsaw I bought new in the late 60's..(So I am not hung up on high priced tools..).
BUT I have owned a Cabinet saw (Bies equipted) for about 15 years now....great saw and fence... I love it....!
BUT
A year or so ago I ran into a Delta/Rockwell Contractors saw (with a masonary blade mounted in it...???) at an estate auction... everyone was bidding like crazy on household stuff and I was the only bidder on the tablesaw so I walked out with it for 10 bucks....
After cleaning up the cast iron top and tossing the worn masonary blade int he trash and buying a 100 dollar Forrest blade for it and constructing a sled for it it is now my dead on accurate cross cutting machine.... yea 10 buck saw and a 100 dollar blade...but what the heck...
Honestly if the Rockwell/Delta or Delta/Rockwell had a Bies like fence I honestly would not hesitate to use it for any cut I needed done...its only disadvantage is in dust collection and a little less power (both not that important to me)..
Bob G.

Why can't you add an aftermarket fence (like a Bies) to the Rockwell? I've got a 30 year old Rockwell/Beaver that I added an Excalibur fence to. Lots of iron on the side of the table top to drill mounting holes if necessary. The existing holes on my Rockwell/Beaver were fine for mounting without my having to drill.

Absolutely you should turn them in. You're much too old for all those tools Ed, so I'll help you to act your age by taking them off your hands. Let me know where I can pick them up. And there's no need for you to feel obligated to me. Throw in a case of beer and we'll call it even, ok?

I drug them out by the curb. Get here soon because rain is expected Tuesday.

Sorry, I'm really low on beer. How about a bottle of bourbon or a single malt Scotch instead?

I suppose the bourbon will have to do. Good show. Now go find a senior's home to move into like you're supposed to do. Glad to see that you've come to your senses.
Nice web site by the way.
I'm no Krenov or Maloof, and I probably never will be, but I doubt my projects would be any better if I had a Beisemeyer fence and a $1000 TS. I think all I need is more experience, heck I think for a 3rd year rookie Im not doing that bad. I don't think I or anyone NEEDS a $1000 TS unless you do this for a living. For me its just a hobby and probably just a hobby for the OP.
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmelissa/woodworking_frames.htm

Thanks,
Absolutely
Fine furniture was made before the power table saw. True, no one NEEDS a better one, but the op was looking to upgrade. If you are going to upgrade, get something that is truly better, more convenient, etc. I started out with a cheap Craftsman direct drive saw and it served me well for a couple of years. Not knowing how well I'd do or if I'd be serious abut the hobby, it was a good move. But, when I moved up, I went at least two notches. One frustration with the benchtop was cross cutting wide boards. Moving up to a full sized contractor model gave me a few more inches of space in front of hte blade. It was great.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

wrote in message<snip>

My work improved signficantly when I rolled the Shopsmith into the corner, and brought in a Unisaw. Fences stayed square. Blades ran true. Arbors tilted properly. I could cut heavier, longer & wider stock.
I also took a few classes, read a lot of posts here, hung out with some remarkable folks in the woodworking club, and stopped working 90 hour weeks in a mind- and body-killing job.
The tool was no longer the limiting factor, and I am fortunate that affording the tool was/is not a problem. Now, when I screw up, I know _exactly_ whose fault it is.
Patriarch
stoutman wrote:

had many modifications, but has served me well. The original had a wishing machine motor and this was only replaced about 2 years ago. I dream of a $1500 table saw but we make do with what we have and what we can afford. There always seems to be another better and or more practical use for that few extra bob when it comes along. I have made to many pieces of furniture with this old beast to count, and one day, when I do get my dream saw I think I will be very sad to see her finally go. John
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 05:31:15 +0000, wrote:

http://my.execpc.com/~rimco /
The guy sells second hand woodworking equipment. His list shows a unisaw for $750. Obviously not a good site if the OP doesn't live in Milwaukee, but there're bound to be similar outfits in OP's neck of the woods.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com