I need some HELP ! ! !

Guys,

I am starting my first project. I am very familiar with tools for building but I'm doing my first nice piece. I have Cherry, Black Walnut, and some Curly Maple. I need to know what kind (what number of teeth) of saw blade I should use to cut this stuff.

I need to rip theses 6" boards into 2 3/4 wide boards. I have been looking at a lot of tools and could use the help of someone more experienced than me. I would like to eventually work my way up to nice furniture.

If you can help shoot me an email at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com or post the help on in the group.

I will take all the help anyone can give.

Thanks to all ! ! ! !

Reply to
chris

For that you'll want a dedicated rip-saw. I recommend the Extrema XG-12 series.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

The first tool you'll want to look into is a table saw (TS). This will allow you to rip your boards and do all sorts of other things once you gain experience. Buy the best you can afford.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

What a piece of crap!

Reply to
boorite

I'm assuming you have a 10" table saw. A good combination blade is all you need, it will have 40-50 teeth. A dedicated ripping blade would have 24-30 teeth and would cut faster but not better.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Chris,

I agree with leuf and Jay. The right tool for the job is a table saw equipped with a combination blade.

However, You question raises some flags....

I'm unclear what that "building" means in this context.... framing?

Save the nice woods for a later project. Woodworking skills are

*evolutionary*; your first project will have some aspects with which you will not be happy. By project 2 or 3 you will figure out how to solve/prevent/fix those problems.

If the solution is not apparent, ask here; we'll help.

Start simple, start in pine (cheap materials).

You have come to the right place. This is what we do.

Is is generally considered better ettiquette to respond here so that other folks can benefit from the discussussion.

Hint: really well formed questions (context and specifics) will generate the most meaningful answers, and Google is you friend.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
C&S

I've been trying to find the answer to a similar question - but for a jigsaw. I have a nice Dewalt Jigsaw, and have never had a problem on less dense hardwoods, but I find I'm burning through blades cutting a cherry 1x with some curves. Suggestions?

thanks, Rich

C&S wrote:

Reply to
RichKip

Rick,

Slow the cutting speed and use a blade with a heavier tooth set. Cherry is one of the hard woods that burns very easily from blade friction. Let the saw do the work. Don't rush it by trying to cut too fast. A little paraffin wax frequently rubbed on the sides of the blade will help too.

Reply to
Charley

I'll second that. I recently picked up one of the Rigid combination blades (10" x 50T) from Home Depot. I don't remember the exact price but seems like it was in the $40 ball park (might have been on sale). But it's been cutting very nicely--especially for the price.

Here's more info about the blade:

Mark Warsaw