Need help with 6" X 48" sanding belts breaking

I recently bought a used Grizzley Disk/Belt sander that uses 6" X 48" belts. The guy threw in half a dozen new belts. I have now had 4 of the new belts snap at the lap joint. I have tried the tension quite low, just enough so the drive roller doesn't slip (much) and a little tighter then that too.. I have been careful to observe the direction arrows. The belts come apart at the joint after very little use. The latest one after about 5 minutes of very light sanding. The one before that while the machine was running but I wasn't actually sanding anything at that moment.

Two questions: What am I doing wrong?

Can I reglue the joints in the belts? What glue do I use?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!

Ed

Reply to
Edgar Svendsen

Lapped joints say old belts to me. Pretty much for the last five years or so the belts I get are butted with something similar to fiber tape. Could be what your problem is. Could also be that you're running them too hot as they're passing over the platen and under the work.

Don't know what glue they use, but by the time mine have come apart (twice), there's not much left of 'em anyway.

Reply to
George

using old belts. go buy some new ones. get good ones, 3m, norton, klingspor, etc...

the only thing I ever had work was strapping tape- the kind with fiber in it, and that didn't last long.

Reply to
bridger

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:26:27 GMT, "Edgar Svendsen" calmly ranted:

Probably running them backwards. Look for the arrow to show the direction they should run. the glue joints are made to work in one direction only on most belts. I recently had to change belts on my 1" sandah and I forgot that _most_ basic of rules. 2 brand new belts snapped in under a minute. It was then that I saw the arrow and blushed a quart.

No.

- - Let Exxon send their own troops -

Comprehensive Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You don't have to look for an arrow on lapped belts. Might even be misleading, if the factory was careless. Sand it so you don't peel the lap, but ride over and down.

Reply to
George