Mystery Wood - new wood source?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dan) wrote in message
snip Anyone ever make doors thicker than 3/4"? I don't have a

snip
Hello Dan:
A suggestion here on your doors. Since you do not have the tools you need or feel comfortable with to make a raised door, why make a raised door? We used to take 3/4" or 7/8" wood and make what they called "half lapped" doors.
Figure out the size of your opening based on the width of your doors. If your doors are 14' wide (based on your material availability and design), then make your openings on your rails and stiles 1" smaller. Use your router (any peewee router will do this) to cut a 3/8" deep groove 3/8" into the doors all around. Soing this will give you a dado 3/8"X 3/8" all four edges. Now the door will sit in the openings for them, but stop at the end of the dado.
The crucial part is to find the correct hinge for this; HD carries them here, but Lowe's does not. Acme hardware here also carries them.
Your hinge will fit in this dado to attach to the door as they are made to sit in the 3/8x3/8 dado. The other side will face mount on the stile. The correct spacing will be easy to get in the opening since you can put reference marks on the rails and stiles to center the door up.
Be sure to use a roundover bit on the door fronts before installing, and you are finished with these doors and installation in a flash. No tear out, no nasty behavior from an unknown species of wood, and best of all it can all be easily done with very basic tools.
You might look around for any older cabinets that are not raised panel; many of these, especially the houses we remodel from the 50's, and early 60's have this style of door and hinge for you to study. Many of these cabinets were actually 'site built' using only hand tools.
As far as the wood goes... from a picture I think it is anybody's guess, some probably better than others.
Good luck!
Robert

Thanks for the tip...but I really like the look of raised panels, I'm planning to use the same method as you use to cut coves on the table saw. I'll run the panels thru at an angle to the blade, raising the blade just a little bit each time...I'll try it out on some scrap to see how it turns out. I almost went ahead and used this as an excuse for a bigger router (the Hitachi 3 1/4 HP for $159 at Amazon sure looked tempting), but then I would have to spend at least another $150 on the proper bits, and I would be stuck with only 1 style of bit. I'll try this method and see how it turns out, still haven't completly ruled out buying more tools (isn't that always a good thing?)
P.S. Any more thoughts on the wood after the lye treatment? Somehow that reply got listed up near the top...I'm using google for this.