My observation re: David Marks

Page 2 of 3

Just did that yesterday. Even demonstrated the usefulness. It Worked!

A vacuum like a Fein would do a great job. It has by-pass cooling for the motor and does not depend on vacuum flow for cooling.
But for very little money, one can buy venturi based vacuum generators which will do an excellent job.
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

I just found plans for a vacuum veneering setup. Looks like something I'll try in my shop (once I get it all built, that is). http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/whybuild.htm
According to his site, 30mil is the best vinyl, and you don't want to run the vacuum pump continuously, but to cycle it using a vacuum pressure controller since most vacuum pumps have a zero pressure restart ability (they're unable to restart while under vacuum). The author claims that 21-23" of mercury is about what is needed for veneering, and the pump should cycle back on between 17 and 19" of mercury.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Good site. Just checked, and the Space Bags are only 2.2mil. Oh well ...

The local purveyor of all things woodworking had a starter kit for vacuum veneering on the display table last week. A skateboard kit. Maybe $50, including a hand powered pump. Seemed like an inexpensive starter kit.
Patriarch

Inexpensive right up to getting on the skateboard. Then itud be another trip to the ER!

Probably, for smaller items. It's probably flimsy vinyl, though.

Here's a link which has links to vinyl for bags, too. (click on the DuraMax pic on the bag page)
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm
Tap plastics has it a WHOLE lot cheaper, though: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid $8 0.020" x 54" @ $4.15/yd.
Here's another source: http://www.vacuum-press.com/bags.html
- The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Thanks for the links.
On the subject of vaccum bags, I read the Taunton book on workbenches in Borders, there is a piece in it bout making a vaccum bag to make a torsion box. They mention special vaccum bag tape used in the aircraft industry. Anyone know what this would be and where to get it? Its the type of thing where you really need a brand name.
On 27 May 2005 07:46:38 -0700, the inscrutable "Phillip Hallam-Baker"

See this site for other options: (vinyl cement, etc.) http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm
--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---

"David" wrote in message

Don't this as derogatory, but this has been brought up a few times in the past and, merely from an observational viewpoint, I've always thought it strange that many folks seem to be uncomfortable unless they have polished, actor delivered lines on TV.
I am beginning to wonder if this is possibly the natural reaction of a generation raised on TV from a young age. Could be that because we didn't own one until I was twelve, my perceptions in this regard aren't as finely tuned as yours, and my expectations regarding polished delivery much lower.
To me, what you see as "stilted" is not surprising (and actually more "real" and believable then the slick talking, pretty boy, DIY carpenters with nothing but their buns to recommend them for the job) since DJM is so obviously not an actor, and apparently delivering lines exactly as he is required to do.
Again, just an off-the-cuff observation on a issue that has been brought up a few times before.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

I don't think its just the technology, very few US politicians would get beyond local councilor level in the UK. With very rare exceptions they just don't have public speaking skils.
Much was made of Georgeous George Galloway's appearance in the Senate, but the performance that got rave reviews from most quarters was technically sub-par Galloway won because he had weak opposition who treated him with too obvious contempt. If you look at his UK performances of years past there have been several occasions where a skilled interviewer made him self destruct.
Appearing natural and relaxed on camera as Reagan or Clinton could do is amazingly difficult, it is even harder if you are having to deal with the unexpected.
I don't often do TV work, its mostly press but even that is pretty exhausting. When I do interviews there is almost always something I feel I should have done better afterwards. And in press you always have to work through the reporter who can sometimes print the exact opposite of what you said - or in some cases the editor will stick a headline on the article that is completely wrong.
Marks does look stilted but that is not his problem, putting the actors at ease is the Director's job. Getting the right director/producer combination is the agent's job. At this point Marks has done 8 series and has an independent reputation, what he needs to do is take more control over the process. DIYTV and HGTV are both running continuously and have an almost unlimited appetite for material. Marks should have an agent who is making sure that the format of the show best showcases Marks.

The DIY network have a really irritating guy who my wife describes as 'too cocky by half'. His performance is really polished but his craftmanship isn't. This wouldn't be too bad if he presented himself as an amateur having a go but he presents himself as an expert. The 'fix it up' pair that used to come on after Norm when he was on HGTV don't look too expert either but thats ok because the premise of the show is that they are DIY'ers having a go.
Early on in the New Yankee Workshop Norm is doing the same sort of thing at the very start the premise was he is a carpenter doing cabinet work so if you have a little knowledge you can do like he does. That started to wear thin after a few series and twenty years on it would be ridiculous. But even so Norm does not talk down to his audience, neither for that matter does Marks. The pretty boys with nice bums for the benefit of the female audience frequently appear to be patronising.
The main difference between the Marks/Norm shows and the 'B-team' shows as far as I can see is that Norm and Marks both spend time making jigs to do the work properly and on the B-team shows the rarely use anything more complex than a stop block.

Is this another Robin Hartl thread? :-)
She's highly qualified in that regard.
Kevin

There is a lot in what you are saying. A friend of mine brought over a tape of a Who concert (shot way back when Moonie was still in it) which was obviously shot by something like a local cable company. The audio didn't have a whole lot of dynamic range, but it was all natural. Two camera positions. The lighting was plain awful. But you know what? It was real. There was no production. Naked Who. The bootleg is the best of a large Who collection my buddy owns, and it would never have been approved for release by the studio weasels because it is too real. Warts and all. Just fabulous. Sometimes the polish completly hides the artwork.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

You're absolutely correct ... like a beauty mark purposely applied to a woman's face back in the old days, the pursuit, and attainment, of perfection usually rips the heart and soul from any endeavor. Not to mention that I would rather hear a bad recording of a good song, than a good recording of a bad song.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

So you're saying Norm has a better ass?
Barry

DON'T go there.
--
Regards,

I reallly think that he is talented and really think that he takes a hit or two before shooting the show.
It's quite obviously scripted and not always correctly. He sticks with the script regardless. On two occasions, I have heard him refer to a to a Stanley #80 as a block plane. It was obviously in the script that way as he has demonstrated on other occasions that he knows the difference.