My observation re: David Marks

Page 1 of 3

Ok, let me state at the outset that I like his shows. I'm sure many of you also appreciate him. I don't want what I'm about to say to be thought of as a slam of him in any way, and I am not wanting to start an argument of any sort!
Here goes: Last night, as I was watching him interview Krenov "it" finally struck me. His delivery is stilted, like when a non-actor is required to stand in front of a camera to recite some lines of dialog. He seems to always be reciting, from memory, his lines, with no true feelings imparted to the dialog. Norm, on the other hand, always seems totally natural when speaking to the camera.
I've been able to tune in to his shows for only the past few months. I think he does a credible job of presenting the projects that have been selected for broadcast. Certainly none of that "and a few brads to hold it until the glue dries" mentality!
Do any of you also find David's delivery "forced" and unnatural?
I will continue to search the DIY channel listings for his shows and tune in to any that I've not seen before.
Dave
I recently started watching him also. Completely different style than Nahmmy. I like the projects that I have seen him build thus far. Nahm only makes antique reproductions, Mark seems to make more modern pieces.
I will agree with you that Marks style on camera is a little "rough", but I think he has a LOT to offer. I will DEFINITELY continue to watch Mark and I also look forward to Nahmmy's next season.

Yes, I do, too. But I talked to him at a show last year and found him to be a nice, normal person. He said that the producers have some strong opinions about what he says and he often finds himself saying things in a way he would never do if he could choose. That especially applies to many of the puns and jokes that he uses. He said that some of that stuff is just plain embarrassing.
But I sure like his show. His work is beautiful.
PDX David
Your discussion with him bears out my perception then; he IS awkward with the dialog. Too bad he isn't given full control over the content. Now that I know he is on 204 (DIY), I check the schedule each day in order not to miss his show; his work is an inspiration. I especially liked the mirror frame episode last week. I chuckle when he runs a piece over his aircraft carrier deck...ahem...jointer, or uses his other out-of-the-average-woodworker's price range and/or space limitations equipment. Drooling is required when watching his show. <g>
Dave
Jane & David wrote:

Two notes:
TiVo gives you a lot more control of your television viewing. And you can fast forward through the 'Ed the Plumber' promos, which are MUCH more embarrassing than DJM pun recitations... Check with your cable or sat provider for a combined, better integrated, better priced deal.
DJM did a show or two where he gave a 'shop tour' of the tools and their roles. He said that most of those tools were acquired used, when the right opportunity came along, and rebuilt or tuned up. (OK, so not the big OneWay lathe.) I do envy him that much shop space. SWMBO is beginning to consider that we need much bigger studio facilities...
Patriarch
On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:53:58 -0700, the inscrutable Jane & David

Isn't it, though? I've seen him adlib and his speech is not canned at all then. He just reacts to the restrictions placed on him by the directors, producers, and maybe a goombah cameraman. ;) They probably made him revert to long sleeves to cover his large forearm tattoos.

Yes, I love the show (the only thing worth watching on DIY) and his work. I'd like to meet the man.
- The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
On Sun, 22 May 2005 06:05:14 -0700, Larry Jaques

All it takes is money: he gives classes up at his own shop and also down in Anaheim at William Ng's school.
Lee

We're talking with Mr. Frugality here, Corporate Spokesmodel for Harbor Freight. ;-)
That, and he's a bit reluctant to return to LoCal for some mysterious reasons, after escaping to Oregon.
All signs of apparent sanity, to me.
Patriarch
On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:06:54 -0500, Patriarch

Lee
I think what you're describing may be due to having a director trying to get what he needs for a half hour show. Mr. Marks in person covering a subject in front of an audience of woodworkers is pretty relaxed and comfortable. Not as mellow as Michael Fortune, not as intense as Mark Adams but not as marginally terrified as Yeung Chan.
It's the medium and the format that may be the cause. It's hard to stay relaxed and informingly informal under a bunch of hot lights with a boom microphone waving just above your head, eight or ten people around you just off camera doing all kinds of things - including holding a stop watch and a clipboard.
Some people are more comfortable in a defined and controlled environment and others are better a free form, free for all "we'll start here but after that ..." situation.
If you want to watch one of the best on camera or off, get any Frank Klausz video and watch it. But then much of it is probably by rote - he went through the traditional european apprenticeship and has had the information stuffed into his genetics makeup.
charlie b
Good points, Charlie. I sure wouldn't be relaxed under those conditions; in fact I'd probably freeze like Garth did when their show went mainstream in Wayne's World. <g>
BTW, David's interview with Krenov was the highlight of his shows as far as I'm concerned. The guy's a living legend, and no wonder. David seemed pleasantly relieved that he correctly guessed the wood species that Krenov (or maybe it was Art Carpenter?) quizzed him about.
Dave
charlie b wrote:

TV is a very difficult medium to look good on, particularly when you are dealling with a show that has to fit into half an hour with three commercial breaks with trailers and recaps at each break.
The main problem seems to be when he does a voice over, he looks pretty stiff except when he is doing some woodworking.
Someone posted saying that he blames the jokes on the producers, sounds to me as if they are trying to get him to copy Norm's act. Its the director's job to make the actor feel comfortable and give a natural performance, it sounds to me as if the director is incompetent.

breathless at times.
Norm does not attempt to do work in a particular style, Marks does. This has advantages and disadvantages. There is almost nothing that Marks does that I could use in my current house which is a 1900 dutch colonial. Almost everything Norm does would either work as is or could be adapted for some part of the house.
The other constraint is the SWMBO factor, the Marks stuff does not appeal to her, Norm stuff is much more likely to.
The original idea behind Norm's show was to get people doing woodwork, Marks might have that idea but I don't think the producers do. Norm deliberately uses a range of materials over each season which is very useful if you are thinking about doing the maple sideboard in teak and can watch the program where he is making stuff in teak and find out that it wrecks your jointer knives etc. Marks on the other hand uses a much more limited range of mostly exotic, mostly solid woods and rarely uses any finish other than tung oil.
Of course Norm having by now made everything there is to make out of plywood, he has gone for bigger projects of late and this season did a lot of antique reproductions where the wood alone would cost several thousand dollars. I was somewhat surprised that he made the mahoghany dining table out of solid wood, a veneer top would be much more economical and add considerably to the piece. Of course this is just about the one woodworking skill that Norm seems to avoid while Marks thinks nothing of getting out his vaccum bag and cauls.
<snip>

It was good to see Norm show some more range this year. I suspect that there was quite a bit held back, to keep to the 'New Yankee' image, both budget and presumed viewer skill set. But after these decades, we've most of us learned quite a bit, Norm included.
It was nice that he got to strut a little bit.
Patriarch

You mention 'vacuum bag', can those storage bags be used for this?

Good question, I haven't tried doing it either way or arything like it.
The bag is probably flexible enough and strong enough to get good clamping pressure with cauls.
I am not so sure about using a domestic vac to create and maintain the pressure. You can't solve the problem of air leaking back into the bag by having a domestic vaccum pumping continuously, well you could but I don't think the motor would last very long.
I did a google but couldn't see any comments.
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Here's DJMs comments on the vacuum press.
http://www.djmarks.com/stories/askdavidveneer/air_vac_vise_47731.asp
http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/how_did_you_set_up_the_vacuum_press_you_use_on_the_show_46702.asp
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

SWMBO's got some stuff stored in a few of them and the pressure *seems* to hold just with the valve closure.
I agree that a vacuum cleaner wouldn't last long pulling continuous vacuum.

*seems*
Yes but does SWMBO use the amount of pressure required to crush veneer flat onto a substrate?
OK yes of course she does, and when she packs clothes in a suitcase she achieves a density only slightly short of neutron star level. But whether the bag holds at the at level for long enough to glue to dry I don't know.
Someone must have tried using a space bag, but I couldn't find an example when I googled.
As far as cost goes though, you could buy a $600 commercial veneer bag set up, make the dining table top and still save a bundle over what the solid mahoghany top would cost you... Even more so if you flogged the equipment on ebay afterwards.
Ebay creates an interesting new tool dynamic. The cost of tool rental for a day is exhorbitant, sometimes a quarter of the cost of a tool, but if you only need it once it is cheaper. Ebay means that you can justify the cost of the tool with SWMBO as being cheaper than renting since you could in theory sell it again on Ebay, or at least you can in theory in practice SWMBO will point out eventually that you never do sell the tool afterwards and moreover one does not have a degree in rocket science from MIT to work that out.

I'm always worried about the potential lawsuits if the catches give way while the marijuana dog is sniffing it!

I don't either. I'm tempted to snag one of the bags and give it a try.

Same here.

I've tried that angle. Doesn't work. Response precisely as you stated "but you never do ...". Usually followed by reciting a list of the stuff that I "could always sell later on ebay ..." and is still on the premises.

Ah but that means that you must have succeeded with this strategy in the past. My SWMBO does have a degree in rocket science from MIT so I don't even get to try it the first time.
Have you tried the 'it turned out to be much more useful than I expected' gambit?