Multifunction/osc. tool

Are the attachments [blades etc] on these tools interchangeable between brands?
For the non pro occasional user is the HF worth the money or should one pony up more for a name brand?
Thanks
On 9/22/12 5:41 PM, Pilgrim wrote:

No.
Is it worth 18 bucks? Yes.
--

-MIKE-

Some are.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Some are, but most aren't. Look for compatibility information on the package.

As long as you realize what you're getting, it's worth the money. My main complaints about the HF version were that it was loud and that it vibrated excessively. I'm much happier with the Bosch.
Some users have reported the bolt that holds the attachment on won't stay tight. Not all of the multitools have this problem, so be sure to test yours.
At around $20, it's cheap enough to try and keep even if you decide to go with a better one.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 9/22/12 7:04 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

And with a 90 day return, it's pretty silly to not try one out.
--

-MIKE-

Some are

Depends. If you saw my shop, you'd find an array of good quality tools from some of the best. Bosch, Porter Cable, Delta, etc. You'll also see my first Harbor Freight purchase, a multi tool.
I bought the HF tool to do one job I had to do. It worked well for it and was worth the money compared to using some other method.
If it was a tool I was going to use every day, I'd probably spring for a better brand, but for moderate use, it is a good deal.
Pilgrim wrote:

The HF blades are interchangeable with Fein, Dremel, and others.
"Is it worth the money?" Well, that depends. If you want the satisfaction of using the best or live to impress your fellow workmen, no it's not. If, on the other hand, you are more concerned with the results than the provenance of your tool, then yes it is. In sum:
HF - Less than $20 and does the job. [several models in-between] Fein - Upwards of $300 and comes in a nice case. Also gets the job done.
On 9/22/2012 5:41 PM, Pilgrim wrote:

I would say "you get what you pay for. More complaints coming from the HF models, numing vibrations, blades will not stay tight, won't work etc. While a Fein is the top of the line and what I have I might suggest that it does a better job and works better than the HF model.
I might suggest the name brand in-betweener brands, Dremel, Bosch, etc.

I have a Bosch 12V cordless and a Dremel corded (they didn't have the Bosch when I needed it). I bought the cordless one because I generally use it for small jobs where getting power is half the work. They're both very nice tools. No problems at all.

I bought the HF model perhaps two years ago and use it frequently for drywall and wood cutting. Loud? Yes. Reliable thus far? Yes. I would say I got my dollars worth.
In article <pilgrim-8F6E87.15412322092012@70-3-168-

As a general case no. In particular cases, yes, but I don't know of a good table that shows what works with what.

Never used the HF and can't say for sure.